• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO Influences

This is just a prediction that has been in my head for a while...

I think...

In a couple of years... there will be a lot of "More realistic" games Like RO.

Things tend to catch on...

I really think that the "Realistic" thing will slowly catch on the average gamer and other Companies will start taking out More realistic Games...

People usually get bored of the same old thing... and I am thinking that playing Quake4 online or UT2004 or whatever other "Insane LightSpeed shooter" is all the same thing...

So... as people get bored of the usual, they will move on to something with more of a challenge to it.. like ehhhh Red Orchestra.

And then the next Counterstrike3 might just have slower paced gameplay, no crossair and an IS fonction and maybe well modded realistic body armour behavior.

One thing is for sure... I think TW has proven themselves to be Fantastic Devs and I am looking forward to their next game.

What do you guys think ?

No because the masses have already been conditioned to play with crosshairs and general FPS gameplay. PC Gaming is already a niche market compared to the consoles and realistic shooters are a very small niche in that pie.

Hopefully that slice is large enough to fuel the fat bellies of TW and make another RO but a game like this won't compete in userbase with a CS or Battlefield whatever. If you don't think people will continue eating the same old garbage that is fed to them then turn on the TV sometime or look at the box office. I believe Jackass 2 is on top right now.

Upvote 0
No because the masses have already been conditioned to play with crosshairs and general FPS gameplay. PC Gaming is already a niche market compared to the consoles and realistic shooters are a very small niche in that pie.

Hopefully that slice is large enough to fuel the fat bellies of TW and make another RO but a game like this won't compete in userbase with a CS or Battlefield whatever. If you don't think people will continue eating the same old garbage that is fed to them then turn on the TV sometime or look at the box office. I believe Jackass 2 is on top right now.

lol good point
I guess my prediction is more like wishful thinking

Upvote 0
But think about this, WE switched, whos to say that PermanentMarker isn't right? If MoH started a trend that caught on so well maybe RO might start a new trend.

I have been a gamer since the days of Commander Keen, Wolfenstain 3D, and the origional Doom series, along with all the other unrealistic and arcade type games since then, and I can tell you for certain that I have got the RO bug, and I'm hoping there isn't a cure for this one.

Heck, even my younger brother, whos been practcally 100% CoD for his WHOLE gaming career and never enjoys any other game EVER, is actually asking me to help him buy RO after I let him try it on my computer ONCE.

I dont really think that ALL people are all stupid sheep like your describing, its just that the people who DO act like that are much easier to notice (or harder to ignore) than the reasonable and logical people.

The fact that WE switched ourselves and that more people buy and try RO every day, I think thats proof enough that Tripwire started unbelieveable, and its going to keep picking up speed and getting bigger.

Upvote 0
I do agree a corner has been turned here in FPS gaming and i also agree that console gaming is another breed of game...........( Don'y get it TBH) Well the gaming community is getting older which bodes well for us older farts.

One thing i wanted to know was HOW the hell do you multi quote on this forum as i can't seem to get it to work!:eek:

Upvote 0
TBF WWIIonline was the first realistic combined arms shooter out there and it's been going for 5 or 6 years now I think (tbh it's still far more realistic and accurate than ROO). RO is the only game since its release to come close to that kind of realistic play so I don't hold my breath for a glut of realistic shooters in the comming years.

Upvote 0