• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Long Hair

Sherman

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
I want to grow my hair out long like David Gilmour. Anyone here with long hair have any tips they would like to share?

coerten.jpg

i'm trying to grow my hair out, much to the dismay of my parents. They drew the line at me "growing my beard out" my dad told me I could "only do it when it was physically possible." I just wanted to TRY but he wouldn't have it.

Right now I'm stuck in the middle too, my hair is incredibly thick, so right now I kind of have an anglo-fro (copyrighted) and I'm curious as to whats going to happen when it gets longer. Before I would always cut my hair only when it would get in my eyes when I ran, but since I don't run unless I have to now, I'm not worried about it. Right now, it's about long enough for me to stick behind my ears when I'm wearing a hat.

Upvote 0
For a while I had it grow out with only one trim, and got to about Ozzy Osbourne in early 'Sabbath length, with the same style too (that's my Uncle Ozzy! See, we're related!). But in the marching band I would rather shoot myself than attempt to tuck it inside my hat, and I got it cut. For a while it was just a glorified bowl cut (except without the ****) down to the botom of my ears. Now it's about the same as a few months ago, the crappy stage between "shaggy" and long; but this time it looks much better. Keep it out of your face at ALL costs. Wash it every day, with conditioner.

Upvote 0
I went through the Fro stage already, now mine is down to the center of my back. My Mother's Maiden name literally translates from Gaelic 'son of the man with massive hair'. I can barely get a comb through it with a high and tight... my old hair style.

It is a pain in the arse, every day I say at least once to myself "I need to cut my @#$! hair ffs". But then I wouldn't blend into the Santa Cruz landscape so well. :D

I have considered Dreadlocks, for low maintenance... maybe a last resort, before I finally decide to cut it.

Upvote 0
I've had long hair twice, and I agree with bullitt. It isn't possible without conditioner. Also, you tend to get the feeling that you're losing alot more hair than you should, but it's (often) just an illusion. You normally lose 100-125 strands per day.
The only hard phase when growing long hair is that awkward page-stadium, when half your hair wants to stay on the inside of your shirt, and the other half on the outside...just endure it :p

Upvote 0
I tried to grow my hair out long because I'm a guitarist, and if you're a classic rock guitarist you HAVE to have long hair :p

But...my hair started curling and I was stuck in that between phase between long and medium, and it just got in my eyes and ears all the time. So annoying. It also took forever to dry.

Yeah, when it hits your shoulders, most likely it will start to curl. You just have to let it grow past that and it will straighten out again eventually.

Upvote 0
I had real long hair for several years, I cut it all off to get a job and then grew it all back again but I then realised how much easier life is with short (read shaven) hair. Minimal washing, minimal drying, zero combing, no hair in my eyes or mouth, sleeping is easier too.

However a few tips for you. Whilst conditioner is good in the short term what is actually best for your hair is to stop washing it and conditioning it altogether. Washing strips the natural oils from your hair which is why you need conditioner to make it feel better. If you stop washing it altogether (just rinse it with clean water regularly) your hair will become the best condition that you've ever had it. Only problem is that it takes approx 6 weeks to recover from years of shampoo, during that period it may well get a bit greasy and you might get some dandruff. Once you get past that stage you wont ever look back! You will be stunned by just how good condition your hair is in, better than ever before. I had 5 years of great condition hair without shampoo + conditioner before I had it cut off.

When your hair is long, always carry some kind of hair band thingy with you so you can get it out of your way when you need to.

Upvote 0