• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

INF style projectile penetration mutator available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep it simple, I think it's best to categorize the weapons in 5 different subclasses:

1) Pistols (very bad penetration): P08, P38, TT33
2) SMGs (bad penetration): MP40, MP41, PPD40, PPSh41, PPS43
3) Assault Rifles (medium penetration): StG44
4) Rifles + MGs (good penetration): Kar98, G41, G43, MG34, MG42, MN1891, M38, M44, SVT40, DP28
5) PTRD (extreme Penetration): Well, er... the PTRD
See that's the thing, it's not simple. I think some experts need to arrive at the correct values BEFORE any further steps. For instance all classes of gun aren't the same, the TT33 has more penetration than the German pistols, same with Russian SMG's (more penetration) also I doubt the German SMG's have more penetration than the German pistols as they fire the exact same bullet! So unless the extra barrel length magically adds velocity it'll be the same as the pistols.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
See that's the thing, it's not simple. I think some experts need to arrive at the correct values BEFORE any further steps. For instance all classes of gun aren't the same, the TT33 has more penetration than the German pistols, same with Russian SMG's (more penetration) also I doubt the German SMG's have more penetration than the German pistols as they fire the exact same bullet! So unless the extra barrel length magically adds velocity it'll be the same as the pistols.

Although going as realistic as possible would be best, but anything is better than nothing. And there is still cpu power we need to think of ;)

Upvote 0
Although going as realistic as possible would be best, but anything is better than nothing. And there is still cpu power we need to think of ;)

Ahhh, now people are starting to see why the devs are delaying (or not planning on, whichever is the case) this! If they want to do it fully accurate, indeed think of the CPU usage! :)

That said, awesome muty. Glad to see it in some form or another :)

Upvote 0
correct values BEFORE any further steps.
I don't think waiting is necessary. If the variable of each weapon is added to their class you could create a simple script that creates the files for you. Like one txt with the weapon names, another txt file with the bullet carachteristics and then auto-create the needed files as I did.
If you have scripts that take away the gratuitous repeating work changes can be accomplished pretty fast.

Upvote 0
There's nothing magical about longer barrels giving the round a higher velocity. That's how it works.
Well judging by wikipedia I can find stats that say the lugers typical round was 360-390m/s and the mp40 380m/s.. I'd bet if you take both guns and fire the exact same brand ammo through them the difference would be very small in velocity.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm really looking forward to this particular project thankyou to geogob & Beppo for doing this - even if it does work up the CPU load it would be great for 5v5 or 6v6 scrims who lean much more to the realism side & tightly co-ordinated team work (use of fire teams & tactics & so on)

So unless the extra barrel length magically adds velocity it'll be the same as the pistols.

I know that there are links and such below - i just wanted to add this one to show how barrel length affects muzzle velocity with a 223.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

Pity they did that to such a nice rifle though :(

Upvote 0
This mutator will make the MGs more important than they are now, especially the MGs on tanks. Then it is hard to shoot at a tank and hide in those buildings with wood walls at Arad.

If you want to see what it is like to fire every weapon (excluding Tank-cannons and PTRD) with penetration than you can download this file ROGame-penetration.
IMPORTANT!!! This file is not a mutator (in contrast to the mutator Beppo wrote), make a backup of your ROGame.u then rename the file you downloaded to ROGame.u and start an Offline game. You won't be able to play online with this file so you have to restore the backup before you tryY
With this file you can shoot through walls even with the MGs of the tanks.
That is what Beppo meant that changing the ROGame.u - just adding the a few lines of code he wrote - by TW would be very easy compared with doing it as a mutator.

Edit: Beppo is it possible with your system to say that every mesh in MilitarySM.sandbag acts like a sandbag ie. you can only shoot through the edges?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks for the links and comments.

I hope I will get the time friday evening/night to finish this.
Tuesday and wednesday were sport days/evenings and I got a huge bruise/contusion on my right foot while playing soccer on wednesday evening. So, I was more interested in staying in bed with an ice pack on my foot instead of sitting in front of my PC.... understandable I guess.
Walking is more or less ok already but the body is asking for some time to regenerate and so I wasn't able to do anything more than checking my emails tonight.

Hope to get something out the door friday night, tho.

Upvote 0
... Edit: Beppo is it possible with your system to say that every mesh in MilitarySM.sandbag acts like a sandbag ie. you can only shoot through the edges?
If all you want is special behaviour for hitting specific objects, then you can add some modifications to the resulting penetration 'depth' based on what specific object was hit, just like as if it would be a specific material.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.