• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Idea: remove gameyness from ROO

Idea: remove gameyness from ROO

• HELL YES

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 30 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 30 18.5%
  • HELL NO

Votes: 27 16.7%

• Total voters

Cyion

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006
London, ON Canada
Here is an idea that has been on my mind for awhile. Vote too, seems like polls acheive more than a simple thread.

GAMEY things I hate are:

- making weapons behave unlike their real counterparts because it is unfair to the enemy team
- making maps have unrealistic tank loadouts because their has to be karma-like balance
- making tanks behave unlike their real counterparts because it is unfair to the enemy team
- making the same caliber bullets doing different damage for different guns
- hollywood like tank fires

Last edited:
Well, do you want to play a game or do you want to play a terribly unbalanced hardcore war sim that incorporates every last aspect of historical accuracy possible?

You can't do both, for the game to still have that fun factor you need to have some things that are "gamey."

Otherwise it would just be like real war, painful and something you never want to do again.

Upvote 0
Here is an idea that has been on my mind for awhile. Vote too, seems like polls acheive more than a simple thread.

GAMEY things I hate are:

- making weapons behave unlike their real counterparts because it is unfair to the enemy team
- making maps have unrealistic tank loadouts because their has to be karma-like balance

I completely agree with this.

- making tanks behave unlike their real counterparts because it is unfair to the enemy team
- making the same caliber bullets doing different damage for different guns
- hollywood like tank fires

The tanks are not perfect rigth now. But I don't think the devs try to balance the tanks.
Same caliber bullets in different weapons are different. If a rifle for example has a longer barrel the bullet has increased energy compared to a rifle with shorter barrel.

Upvote 0
The devs have a good idea about realism and balance IMO. I'm quite happy with it as it is, except for some little bits, but as a whole this game has just the right amount of realism and balance to keep me playing. Too much realism and you **** up balance - either by having weapons that are too powerful or lop sided teams (16vs16 is far from realistic - battles weren't 50% germans, 50% russians) or maps that are impossible to win for 1 side.

You can't have ALL gameyness out of the game - it would not be playable

Maybe it could be tried in another game, but I don't want to see the devs forget balance in RO;O personally

Upvote 0
Ididnt vote on your poll cause its leading/manipulating the people to be for or against.
My answer would be: "SOME of the gamyness should be removed"...

I Think things can be done to balanse the game without **** up the weapons/vehicles.

Example:

Limited reinforcements (weapon classes&vehicle respawns)

1) Ie There wasnt build as many german Tigers as Russian T-34's.
--> Thus you can limit Tiger respawns to 10, and T-34 spawns 20.
This will simulate realistic reinforcements and you do not need to make Tiger weaker.

2) Generally, after what I've heard (correct me on this one), the russians produced alot of cheap lo quality weapons, while the germans put the bet on higher quality of weapons/vehicles and more experienced personell.
The common russian soldier had little or no experience, while many germans had seen battles before.

3) As with hand weapons, the Bolt actions was produced in larger quantas as compared to the SMG's.

Example:

MAP: "KONIGSPLATZ"

AXIS SUPPLIES & AMMO:

Manpower:
X20 Tank crew
X80 Infantry soldiers
X15 Engineers
X 7 AT teams
X15 Squadleaders
-------------------------------
Weapons/ammo in stock:
X70 Kar98 -- x3000 Clips
X15 G43 -- x1500 Clips
X15 MP40 -- x1500 clips
X10 MP41 -- x1000 clips
X10 MP44 -- x500 clips
X5 MG42 -- x100 belts
X5 MG34 -- X50 Drums
X70 SG-39 Grenade
X20 Smoke
X20 Panzerfaust
X20 Satchel charges
---------------------------------
Vehicles in stock:
X5 Tiger
X20 Mark IV
-----------------------------------
RUSSIAN SUPPLIES:
Manpower:

X30 Tankcrew
X100 Infantry
X20 Engineers
X13 AT Team
X15 Squadleaders

Weapons & ammo:
X100 Moson nagant -- x1200 Clips
X25 SVT40 -- x500 clips
X40 PPSh-1941G -- x160 drums
x10 PPS-43 -- x100 clips
x100 F1
x15 Ptrd -- 500 rounds
x 20 Degtyarev DP/DT 1928 -- 200 Drums

Vehicles:
10X IS-2
40x T-34
--------------------------------------------------------
* In the above example, once a class, weapon, or vehicle is depleted, you can only respawn as the remaining available equipment.

* The russian have more reinforcements due to fighting on own ground and low quality weapons and personel.

* If your team spend alot of time wasting shots you may deplete the ammo supplies (this counter people running around shooting in the air and such, and give you a feel of having to conserve ammo)

* If you die alot you deplete the manpower, and end up being able to respawn only as infantry or any remaining Class.
* On some attack/defend maps, the attacker may have the 3/1 supply favour. (The standard rule of attacking is to overpower the enemy by 3 to 1)
* Capping victory location can add/substract availible supplies to simplate the opening of supplyroutes.

------------------------

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One thing to note. We do not try to nerf a weapon from behaving like it's real life counterpart. We base the weapons on our experience with the real ones or similar weapons. If you think we are wrong, get us more hands on time with the weapon and we will think about changing it depending on how it goes. How we do balance is the availability of certain weapons (which is why we recently added the g41 into the game).

Upvote 0
One thing to note. We do not try to nerf a weapon from behaving like it's real life counterpart. We base the weapons on our experience with the real ones or similar weapons. If you think we are wrong, get us more hands on time with the weapon and we will think about changing it depending on how it goes. How we do balance is the availability of certain weapons (which is why we recently added the g41 into the game).

I think some common sense should factor into the weapons handling as well, 'cause you can't get your hands on some weapons.

Take the PPSh deal. Right now it is easier to unload a TT33 mag into a tight group then it is to squeeze off a short burst. Have you ever tried unloading a pistol mag rapidly? Lemme tell you, it's a lot harder then it seems in movies/the game. Right now, in game, the recoil on the PPSh is higher then on the TT33, which happens to use the same round. The PPSh is over 5 times as big as the TT33, and probably that much heavier, so why is the recoil such crap on the PPSh? If the weapon hasn't been nerfed for balance, then please explain the reasoning here.

Just because you might not be able to get your hands on a FA PPSh doesn't mean you can claim ignorance at an obvious, annoying, and well argued flaw.

Upvote 0
file -> remove gameyness

please wait (buffering)...

.. 15% ..

.. 47% ..

.. 65% ..

.. 82% ..

.. 100%

now commencing gameyness removal, please wait

[-------------------]

[|||----------------]

[||||||-------------]

[|||||||||||--------]

[|||||||||||||||----]

[|||||||||||||||||||]

congratulations!

gameyness removed, please have a nice day.

Upvote 0