• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

the ability to shoot through tank veiw slits

343Guiltyspark

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2006
Today on orel , My tank got knocked out , but i survived , i was in the wheat feild so the tanks could not see me

i snuck up on a tiger , i could see the driver through the slit , about a 2 inch gap , i fired two clips at the driver POINT BLANK , and nothing happened.........:confused:

i could have knocked out the tank ( since the guy was not a team tanker)

if it was not for this unrealistic invincibility of the driver in the tank:mad:

Bulletproof glass.
not in german tanks http://ourworld.compuserve.com/Homepages/willphelps/Album0000023.htm

The contraption you see before you is the driver's visor, or "window", along with the mechanism that opens and closes the armored shutter located outside. This model of visor, the "Fahrersehklappe 50", was first introduced with the Ausf. F1.

The shutter can be closed to give the driver extra protection. He might then rely on a set of KFF-2 twin periscopes to see the road...or lack thereof! The periscopes would ordinarily peer out through two little holes above the driver's visor. But, starting around January 1943 (late Ausf. G), the periscopes were left out. This is the case here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd be more concerned about the fact that you can climb on top of the clown car and look down in to the gunner's seat, but unless he's standing up, he's invincible.

Sort of cheapens the whole thing. Considering halftrack gunners can be killed through their view slit, it'd be nice if BA-64 gunners could, too.

Upvote 0
I'd be more concerned about the fact that you can climb on top of the clown car and look down in to the gunner's seat, but unless he's standing up, he's invincible.

Sort of cheapens the whole thing. Considering halftrack gunners can be killed through their view slit, it'd be nice if BA-64 gunners could, too.
the fact is , if you can SEE the person in the vehicle , you should be able to kill him!

Upvote 0
not in german tanks http://ourworld.compuserve.com/Homepages/willphelps/Album0000023.htm

The contraption you see before you is the driver's visor, or "window", along with the mechanism that opens and closes the armored shutter located outside. This model of visor, the "Fahrersehklappe 50", was first introduced with the Ausf. F1.

The shutter can be closed to give the driver extra protection. He might then rely on a set of KFF-2 twin periscopes to see the road...or lack thereof! The periscopes would ordinarily peer out through two little holes above the driver's visor. But, starting around January 1943 (late Ausf. G), the periscopes were left out. This is the case here.
Wrong. All German tanks had several layers of Panzerglas in the drivers vision port. The armored shutter added additional protection.

Upvote 0
i heard a us veteran from the ardennes say that they were about to be overrun by a panther and they were stuck in a field. so they fired at the drivers periscope and it broke, so the tank stopped while the driver was replacing the broken visor. then they shot it agian, in total 3 times! after that the driver had no spare visors anymore and it was stuck and finally reversed out of the field!

Upvote 0
i heard a us veteran from the ardennes say that they were about to be overrun by a panther and they were stuck in a field. so they fired at the drivers periscope and it broke, so the tank stopped while the driver was replacing the broken visor. then they shot it agian, in total 3 times! after that the driver had no spare visors anymore and it was stuck and finally reversed out of the field!

hopefully one day games allow such types of damage to model gameplay :)

Upvote 0
I recently read an account by a German tank commander fighting in France in late 1944. At one point he was forced to stick his head out of his hatch because the allies had damaged his glass. The way he said it made it sound like the allies knew they could blind a tank by shooting the periscopes. I imagine they could do the same with the driver.

Upvote 0
lol, I imagine if the tank really needed to keep advancing the tank commander could probably direct the driver
Which is exactly what that commander had to do. He had to stick his head out of his hatch to do it. I don't remember if he said his drivers port was damaged. He did say that he directed his driver anyway because the driver's view is so restricted.

Upvote 0
I've been looking for his account but I haven't found it yet. He said he couldn't see because his glass was so shot up. I don't remember if his driver's glass was shot up. Either way, he said he almost always directed the driver because the driver's view was so restricted even with good glass. I don't remember his name. From what I remember, he was in France shortly after D-Day trying to stop the allied advance through the bocage country. He mentioned LSAH (Liebestandart Adolf Hitler) and DR (Das Reich) but I don't remember his unit, it may have been one of those. His tank was eventually knocked out by Americans. If I remember correctly his entire crew made it out of the tank. I think a couple were killed shortly after while trying to retreat to safety. It was a good story and I think you'd like it. I'll keep looking.

Upvote 0
I recently read an account by a German tank commander fighting in France in late 1944. At one point he was forced to stick his head out of his hatch because the allies had damaged his glass. The way he said it made it sound like the allies knew they could blind a tank by shooting the periscopes. I imagine they could do the same with the driver.

In Tigers in the Mud Otto Carius talks about how the Russians would use their anti-tank rifles to shoot out all of their view ports.

Upvote 0