• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Which was the greatest Empire of all Time?

I find the Aztecs, Mayans, and Incas more interesting that all previously mentioned Empires. Maybe it's because we know so little about them, they are surely some of the more intriguing civilizations.

I like their obsidian axes, and the crazy turkey-feather battle dress of theirs. Plus sacrificing 25,000-50,000 captured enemy soldiers, by slicing out their still-beating hearts, and letting their blood run down the side of a giant pyramid must of been a gnarly unHoly sight. :eek:

Upvote 0
I'd say the Roman Empire, for many reasons:
  • Unification: Through allies and conquering, it unified Europe, the Middle East, and Northern Africa. As it conquered, it absorbed traits from the various cultures (such as the Greeks) and disseminated them throughout its reach. An enormous portion of the known world was unified by one language, one currency, and one ruling body. It's influence was felt across the western world for a millenia.
  • Technology: Far too many achievements to number in one place, but examples include advanced architecture, roadbuilding, cement/concrete, plumbing, and other innovations.
  • Religion: It served as initial antagonist to the Christian relgion, but became an eventual proponent beginning with Emperor Constantine I. Aside from that, much of its pagan religions were lifted from the Greeks.
  • Military Technology: Advanced military, with specialized soldier types, state-of-the-art weaponry, and effective tactics.
  • Longevity: I find it incredible that - in one form or another - the Roman Empire lasted nearly 1500 years, from its inception around 44 BC to the downfall of its Byzantine incarnation in 1453.

Upvote 0
But we're not a bunch of barbarians with clubs invading your nation and dragging your women around by their hair. Ok ok, maybe just the all but the hair part, but if you meet a Southern Baptist invader, you never know! ;)
[/font][/size]

In so many ways, maybe they were more civilized. At least you knew what they hell they wanted when they invaded/raided :p

Upvote 0
To me Alexanders empire was the greatest.

He conquered the know world at the time within 10 years.
Crushed the Persians, and Hellenized the East.

This was a very short and general description.

But Empires are great bodies of land and people that destroys itself from within.
Rise and Fall.

Persia, Alexandros' empire, Roman Empire, Byzantion, Turkish empire as few examples.

Today America is an empire. But its days are numbered.
THere are already signs of destruction from within, society.
I don't want to mention examples of these...
The thing is, it is perfectry natural and is part of making history.

I just wonder which empire will rise next?
Caliphates?

Upvote 0
china.

Try beating 6000 years and now the fasting growing superpower in the world today.

I think Monty Python can state China's case quite clearly.

(spoken)
The world today is absolutely cracked.
With nuclear bombs to blow us all sky high.
There's fools and idiots sitting on the trigger.
It's depressing, and it's senseless, and that's why...

(singing)
I like chinese,
I like chinese,
They only come up to you knees,
Yet they're always friendly and they're ready to to please.

I like chinese,
I like chinese,
There's nine hundred million of them in the world today,
You'd better learn to like them, that's what I say.

I like chinese,
I like chinese,
They come from a long way overseas,
But they're cute, and they're cuddly, and they're ready to please.

I like chinese food,
The waiters never are rude,
Think the many things they've done to impress,
There's maoism, taoism, eging and chess.

I like chinese,
I like chinese,
I like their tiny little trees,
Their zen, their ping-pong, their ying and yang-eze.

I like chinese thought,
The wisdom that Confusious taught,
If Darwin is anything to shout about,
The chinese will survive us all without any doubt.

So, I like chinese,
I like chinese,
They only come up to you knees,
Yet they're wise, and they're witty, and they're ready to please

Wo ai Zhong-guo ren [Wo, I chumba run]
Wo ai Zhong-guo ren
Wo ai Zhong-guo ren
Ni Hao Ma? Ni Hao Ma? Ni Hao Ma? Zai zhen [Ne hamma? ... Chi Chen]

I like chinese,
I like chinese,
They're food is guaranteed to please,
A fourteen, a seven, a nine and li-chese

I like chinese,
I like chinese,
I like their tiny little trees,
Their zen, their ping-pong, their yin and yang-eze

I like chinese,
I like chinese,

Upvote 0
Ive got to go with the Romans, no group of people before or since as ever had so much power. They could defeat any other country in battle, they could turn any group of people into Romans, and the emperour had more power than any body since.

The british empire was basicaly just a big money earner, and all the money gained was spent fighting the great war.

Upvote 0