• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Some ideas about wheel optimalization

sethodie

Aug 23, 2006
Hi,

I am busy doing my daily work and has not to much time to work on Puma :( .

Here is a little post about some ideas about wheel optimalization. My Puma model has 8 big wheels and they has consumed a lot of polygons. So I have decided to optimaze them:

Front of the wheel:

wheel-front.jpg

I have separated the cup and joined vertexes of the tyre (changing quads to triangles). Then I have moved cup to the starting position.

back of wheel:

wheel-back.jpg

I have made simillar operation, but now I have exchanged 8-sided central part with simple quad, that I have put inside the wheel.

I will UV map this parts of wheel using planar projection, so everything should work fine.

In this way I have started with 204 triangles per wheel and after this optimalization I have ended with 176. It gives 28 spare triangles. Maybe it is not too much but Puma has 8 wheels - it gives 224 spare triangles :)
This method may give even better results in tank with 12-16 wheels.

Let me know what you think about it.

Cheers,
sethodie

What do you mean by this, Gups? Isn't a cylinder just a truncated cone?

On a cone, you pretty much immediately loose 1/2 the triangles over the length (since the sides of cones are usually triangles by nature), and you don't have to deal with 1 of the ends inside of 2.

In doing the KV-2 turret, I noticed that the tripwire cannons aren't cylinder bores, but rather conical ones.. so that was part of the revision I did.
Of course if you aren't doing it for low-poly in-game, then you can use whatever you want ;]

Upvote 0
On a cone, you pretty much immediately loose 1/2 the triangles over the length (since the sides of cones are usually triangles by nature), and you don't have to deal with 1 of the ends inside of 2.

In doing the KV-2 turret, I noticed that the tripwire cannons aren't cylinder bores, but rather conical ones.. so that was part of the revision I did.
Of course if you aren't doing it for low-poly in-game, then you can use whatever you want ;]

Or what you can do for the bore is have it terminate at a triangle or a square. It's a good blend of the two, helpful if you're cutting down polies in the place where the player can see down the barrel.

Upvote 0