• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation WIP - SdKfz 234/2 "Puma"

The interesting thing about the Puma, if I'm not mistaken, is that there are two driver positions, front and back. The vehicle was capable of being driven at full speed in either direction. Makes for getting out of Dodge a lot faster.
Interesting, I thought only the older 8-rad had this.

[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]SdKfz. 234/2 "Puma"[/FONT]​
[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]SdKfz. 234/2 Specifications:[/FONT]​
[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]- Crew: 4 (Commander, driver, gunner & loader/rear driver)
- Length: 6.80m
- Width: 2.33m
- Height: 2.38
- Armor: 6mm - 38mm (Front 30mm, Gun mantlet 38mm, Side 8mm)
- Armament: 50mm KwK 38 L/60, 1 x 7.62mm MG42
- Ammo: 55 x 50mm rounds, 1.050 x 7.62mm rounds
- Gun elevation: -10 +20 degrees[/FONT]
[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/reach/175/sdkfz234.htm

[/FONT]
Earlier in this thread I talked about someone from the high command ordering Puma commanders to never engage the enemy unless fired upon, but I forgot the source. I found it on this site:
[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]
[/FONT]Quoting Heinz Guderians war diary, October 1st 1944:
"Panzersp​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for all comments :)

You are right DingBat - I will rework wheel guards. Engine vents are already reworked. I decided to leave intakes. Outtakes are modeled as box.

It is my first serious attempt to design low poly model for game, so I have to rebuild some details :(

It has now about 3900 triangles.

sdkfz_234_2_work_6.jpg

And the renderings (without smoothing):

sdkfz_234_2_work_5.jpg

Grenade launchers are almost ready. I will also add jerry-cans.

Best regards,
sethodie

Upvote 0
If it gets added you should try to make it act as much like a recon vehicle as possible. Maybe give both the gunner and driver binoculars when out of the hatch. Limited respawns would make people use it carefully for scouting instead of charging the nearest tank. If you could somehow enable only tank commanders to use the gun position and allow them to call in artillery right from the vehicle that would also help keep it historically correct and deter people from using it as a frontline combat vehicle.

It was my favourite vehicle in Forgotten Hope because I could go off by myself and destroy everything. While that was fun I wouldn't like to see it in a RO Puma.

Looking good though sethodie. :cool: One small criticism would be that you need to use smoothing groups to make the faces of the round parts (gun, wheels, turret, etc.) look smooth. I'm not sure what the function is called in MAX (in Maya it's Soften/Harden Normals) but it would really help the overall look of the model. :)

Upvote 0
we should put this in RO_bezerina, i'm not sure if it would be historicaly correct, but the map is around the right size and could be use well to scout out pesky KV's and the positions of troops in the trenches.

Show it to those guys at the Mare Nostrum mod too!
needs to be put on orel also i wont to spot the enemy in front of my kamfgruppe and call arty down, and it cant take a flag also if you get in to a fight it can fire a few shells and retreat, also knock the tracks of some tanks and deal with clown cars.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When the Puma was serviced somebody from the high command(can't remember the name) specifically told its users that it is not meant to engage the enemy unless fired upon since it's a recon vehicle. I imagine engaging an enemy deliberately would get you sent to court martial.

I was talking about in-game use, where people rarely do any real recon, not historical use.

Upvote 0
It has the exact same gun as the Pz III Ausf. L (in-game) 50mm Kw.K. 39 L / 60...

The Panzer III Ausf. J (Sd Kfz 141) is in game with the 50mm KwK L / 42. The Panzer III Ausf. L is not in the game because:
1. The tank in game has exactly 100 (80 AP+20 APCR) 50mm rounds.
2. The loadout for the Pz III Ausf. J (Sd Kfz 141) with the 50mm KwK L / 42 is exactly 99 50mm rounds.
3. The loadout for the Pz III Ausf. J/1 (Sd Kfz 141/1) with the 50mm KwK39 L / 60 is exactly 84 50mm rounds.
4. The loadout for the Pz III Ausf. L (Sd Kfz 141/1) with the 50mm KwK39 L / 60 is exactly 92 50mm rounds.
5. The number of Panzer III Ausf. J (Sd Kfz 141) produced: 1,549
The number of Panzer III Ausf. L (Sd Kfz 141/1) produced: 653
6. From Wikipedia.com:
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 contains 14 vehicles. This is the official list.

German

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Panzer III Ausf. J (Sd Kfz 141) is in game with the 50mm KwK L / 42. The Panzer III Ausf. L is not in the game because:
1. The tank in game has exactly 100 (80 AP+20 APCR) 50mm rounds.
2. The loadout for the Pz III Ausf. J (Sd Kfz 141) with the 50mm KwK L / 42 is exactly 99 50mm rounds.
3. The loadout for the Pz III Ausf. J/1 (Sd Kfz 141/1) with the 50mm KwK39 L / 60 is exactly 84 50mm rounds.
4. The loadout for the Pz III Ausf. L (Sd Kfz 141/1) with the 50mm KwK39 L / 60 is exactly 92 50mm rounds.
5. The number of Panzer III Ausf. J (Sd Kfz 141) produced: 1,549
The number of Panzer III Ausf. L (Sd Kfz 141/1) produced: 653
6. From Wikipedia.com:
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 contains 14 vehicles. This is the official list.

German

Upvote 0
the panzer III in game is the ausf L. Now whether it has the exact same ammo loadout or not is different, but if they modelled the ausf L, the modelled the ausf L.

Here is the RO Official List of vehicles (shortened) from wikipedia again for visually impared (blind) people:
German
If this doesnt help then i suggest getting :cool: glasses.
Anyway the topic is about pumas:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
not quite buddy, look at the official tank diagram. It says panzer III L, wilson said they put down the wrong gun info and it should say L/60.

Anyways look at the gun on the Panzer III, there is no way that is the L/42 its way too long to be 42 calibres. Maybe you should glasses.

Anyways here is the quote from Alan:

I so hate when people spot my mistakes. You're correct, it should read "L/60". The figures in game for the operation of the gun ARE correct however... phew. I so hate proof-reading!

take from this thread: http://redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2432&highlight=panzer+ausf

Last edited:
Upvote 0