• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

COD3 Sound Recording!

IMO, RO:O has the best weapon sounds ever. Enough bass for the oomph, enough treble for the crack. Not so much bass that it becomes distorted and not so much treble that it sounds like you're slapping some aluminum foil.

Most games have sounds that sound either tinny or bassy. INF had tinny sounds and CS had bassy sounds. That pump shotgun sound in CS is so distorted, it sounds like a recording of someone at a shooting range and firing a shotgun the exact moment an earthquake occurs.

I didn't like CoD 2's sounds. Lee Enfield and MP40 sounded "watery" and lacked the crack big time. Bren sounded tinny and weak. The SVT40... no comment. StG-44 was too bassy and didn't sound powerful, nor did it have a crack.

Springfield was really bad. That whiney sound mixed with it gives me the impression that SPR's K98 sound was used as a reference.

RO:O sounds > all.

Upvote 0
You must have a crappy sound card or crappy speakers slinky, cause on my PC the smg's sound ear splitting at close range and have the correct faded out sound at distance. It's always funny to hear the rattle of the PPSh going of in the distance and then see two or three names come up that have been killed by some mad spraying bastard. Or on the flipside to hear the rattle go off for ages then be cut short by one single rifle shot, that's even funnier :D

Upvote 0
CoD 2's sounds are laughable. The Russian SMG's sound like laser guns. Pewpewpew!

RO's always had some of the best weapon sounds I've ever heard. They only got better with ROO. Except the '44, that went from sounding tough in 3.3 to sounding... CoD 2-ish.

Hehe, I still remember the Kar98 sound back in... was it 3.0? There was a single version where it sounded like a cannon. :D

Upvote 0