• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ATI crossfire problem.

sorry if this has been posted before but i couldn't find anything. basically i can't get my crossfire to wrok in RO and i was just wondering if anyone knows for sure if it should or not. hope someone can help as my googling efforts have failed me thus far.

just so you know i have an amd 4400, 2 gigs corsair ram and 2 x1900's.

sorry if this has been posted before but i couldn't find anything. basically i can't get my crossfire to wrok in RO and i was just wondering if anyone knows for sure if it should or not. hope someone can help as my googling efforts have failed me thus far.

just so you know i have an amd 4400, 2 gigs corsair ram and 2 x1900's.

suggestion: don't use crossfire. sli is much better.

</fanboy>

Upvote 0
on-line there is a FPS limit of 85 because of the network speed.
85 is more then enough anyway and likely more then your monitor can display.

i have heard that before but i am playing in practice so i can more easily replicate things.

however, i keep hitting the 60fps limit as well as getting stuck at 30 which i believe is hindering me especially in gras or crops.

i have tried enabling tripple buffering in the config but to no avail.

Upvote 0
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]well it seems i have got v-sync off finally although i don't know how. i had it set to off and off unless app specifies but they did no good so now it is on unless app spefies which seems to do the trick.

even though these new ati drivers have helped in game i seem to get no real benefit from my crossfire although when using the roaming camera i seem to get a 30-40fp boost at times which is strange.

i have also found that adaptive AA is the devil when playing RO. it kills perfomance although setting it to performance instead of quality inporves things a great deal. it doesn't look that much worse so it will hae to do.

least i can have AA and AF without my fps crashing. still i wouldn;t mind adaptive AA as well.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
i got a x1900xt myself and i found that having the A.I option set to advanced in the CCC really killed my preformance. i now turned it off completely (not just on standard but completely off) and my preformance is a LOT better now, no more slowdowns to the sub 30's.
you might try that.

suggestion: don't use crossfire. sli is much better.

</fanboy>

actualy as said crossfire kickes the crap out of SLI

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/7games-gpus_20.html

SLI even managed to be slower then the single card solution in 2 out of 8 games here.
crossfire is always just as fast or faster then the single card solution, and generaly speaking its always faster then SLI, only in 1 game is SLI really faster then crossfire.

Upvote 0
yes, your advice works in certain games on single cards but not for crossfire. due to the way a certain mode, be it AFR or supertiling is chosen it depends on wehter catalyst A.I is on.

to cut a long story short. ATI, since their last driver 6.7 and now AFAIK with all the kinks worked out 6.8 when you enable advanced A.I it forces AFR(alternate frame rendering) in all games or at least should do. this should provide the best performance in most games.

so i kinda need to keep it enabled for crossfire. i will keep fiddling with settings and see which works best but at least now it is wroking to a degree although the difference between FPS when playing the game and using the roaming camera is odd.

personnally i wish ATI would alow you to choose what mode you want to use from a menu instead of the setup they have now of using different settings to default a method. i ahve neve really had a problem with ATI's drivers uptil now but this is a minor complaint although if there forced AFR mode works as it should i will be happier.

Upvote 0
and that relates to my problem or problems with crossfire how.

using one card or inded 2 the game runs fine bar a little flickering around the edges using crossfire. i have not had any problems like you desribe uising ATI driver changes EVER. my problems are getting maximum performance out of crossfire nothing else.

please explain the relevancy of your comment other than ATI suxors drivers wise.

EDIT: on the other hand i may as well ask did you remove the old drivers before installing the new ones and have you verifyed the file intergrity or whatever it is called.

alos please do not try to hijack other peoples threads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0