• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Paradox Interactive Thread

Well, I've come to my conclusion that my planning between October '39 (annexation of Poland) and January '40 was basically useless for the invasion of France. Going to load up an earlier game from a little before I finish Poland and make sure that I do it right, seeing as how when I tried to invade Belgium, France simply pulled half their divisions off the Maginot line, and fortified Belgium's territory... but the divisions on the line ensured that I couldn't break through there either. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Alright, Meyer basically revealed my trick for getting France out of the war before 1940. Basically, leave a province, preferably Freiburg, relatively undefended; leave a good deal of troops north and go as far as Munich to prevent the French from running rampant. While you are in Poland, France will attack; if you're good Poland should be about to be finished by this time (pre-October). Let the French begin to extend in to German territory, and then strike, cutting most of them off in Bavaria. You can easily capture 30-40+ divisions this way, leaving the Maginot Line wide open. Seize it with armor and hold it until the infantry arrive, or if you're feeling really bold, just continue the advance. France should surrender by or before November of 1939 if you play it right. That, and you can preserve Belgium and the Netherlands for trade agreements of rare materials, oil, steel, etc.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem with France on my first go. I wtfpwned Poland by October the 1st, while on the Maginot line the French had broken through deep into the Fatherland. I managed to stabilise the situation by November, but during the winter and into the spring of 1940 I wasn't able to penetrate the maginot line and a stalemate developed. I wiped Belgium out by mid December but that just widenend the front. And my last save is October 1937 :(. Atleast I can do it right this time.

Upvote 0
I always try to pull a mini-schleiffen, using large infantry armies to hold the southern end of the line in Belgium but using my armor to cut straight through to the coast, crushing everything North of it while my armor moves along the coastal area and hits Paris

sidenote: I never invade Luxombourg until France is handled, otherwise it's just 1 more territory you have to defend

Upvote 0
Well, at one point I had 50 divisions in Saarbrucken and 30 each in Freiburg, Luxembourg and Stuttgart. They didn't attack me then.

Then I invaded Belgium, so they pulled 50% of their troops off of the Maginot line to help out up north. Unfortunately, the fact that there is 10 land fort in each of those provinces prevented me from taking advantage of that fact. Kinda blew.

Upvote 0
Well, I just lost my first game. Was playing USSR, they've destroyed my Moscow and Stalingrad armies around October of 1942. There was nothing I could do to stop the Germans/Fins/Romanian/Italians. I lost battle after battle after battle. Leningrad got encircled, and then Moscow and Stalingrad got encircled.

Any tips on staying the German war machine as the Soviets? I'd been researching my infantry, my armor, air, land/air doctrines like crazy. At the end I even had the small arms/vehicle assembly lines, but that was a little late.

Upvote 0
Keep it simple, stupid. The Soviets biggest advantage is the fact that they have almost unlimited manpower and a huge IC base to draw on. They can easily churn out enough infantry divisions to make a Maginot Line out of human bodies. From the start, you need to ensure that you're producing infantry divisions at the maximum rate you can while still keeping every thing else relatively in order.

My first Soviet game, I was too inexperienced to know this and so, my 6 divisions in each Germany-Soviet border provinces were basically overrun by the German war machine.

Anyways... my latest German campaign (I keep starting new ones every time I realize a big mistake I made :p) has gone extremely well. As of January 1st, 1940 (which you may recall was my date for invading France in my last campaign) the Vichy event has already been triggered and all of France is under my domination. I ensured that Nationalist Spain won the SCW and as such the Nationalists were a gigantic help in the war. They didn't do much in the way of destroying divisions, but they took giant chunks of land out of southern France... so much so that Vichy France is about half the size as it should be (in mainland Europe anyways. They still have all the African territory)

Poland was completely annexed by September 10th. That taught me the benefits of HQ's :D. I figured that I would cool down in between Poland and France, but because I had already massed 45 divisions on the border of the Netherlands, and France pushed into the weakly-defended Freiburg, I figured what the hell, and invaded the Netherlands on September 15th, '39. My 10 Panzer divisions I had stationed in Munster helped immensely. So I overran the Netherlands within a week and then pressed into Belgium.

Meanwhile, I still had the bulk (over 100 divisions) of my military moving west out of Poland, and Freiburg had been taken, leaving Strasbourg defended by one measly division. I still didn't have enough troops on the border, however.

So while my forces were heading west from Poland, I ensured that Belgium and the Netherlands were completely annihilated... which they were. Belgium gave me some resistance as they had a habit of sneaking into provinces I had left ungarrisoned.

Skip forward a few weeks to when my forces arrived. Freiburg and Friedrich-Shafen were in French hands, with 26 divisions in Friedrich and none in Freiburg. I had stationed 30 divisions of my Eastern veterans in Saarbrucken, who invaded the measly-defended Strasbourg. Strasbourg, though only defended by one single division, held for about a WEEK. Meanwhile, I had a force of 74 divisions seize Freiburg, which effectively encircled the bulk of French power, the 26 divisions in Friedrich. I assaulted them with my total of 87 divisions and totally overran them. 13 divisions captured the territory itself whereas the other 74 went to support the attack on Strasbourg, which eventually broke the French forces. The 74 units then crossed the river into Mulhouse and broke the Maginot line there, as well.

My forces had finished in Belgium and I now had armoured divisions backed up by infantry pushing down through Calais and Dieppe and banking east to link up with my main force, which was currently pushing into Reims. It was then that I realized that Nationalist Spain had pushed literally into Tours and Chateroux. I took Paris, moved and took Metz, finally ending the Maginot line. After seizing Amiens and Compeigne, the Vichy event occurred. I FINALLY got around to annexing Luxembourg.

So here I am in January of '40 with 164 divisions sitting in Berlin. I'm planning a move towards the Soviet border to basically plant a huge mass of troops there and eventually Blitzkrieg the hell out of the Bolsheviks.

I'm pleased that my invasion finally went well. The biggest disappointment (and it was a big one, at that) was that I lost 10+ air divisions when the Belgian resistance captured my unguarded airbase in Essen. Unfortunate, but with Aircraft, Vehicle and Small Arms assembly lines all researched, I won't be down for long. :D

Now for my latest question XD

What does one have to do to get Finland, Japan, Romania into the Axis? I've got Italy now that I control France, and Italy has annexed Yugoslavia and Greece. Japan's belligerance is almost as high as mine. =p The Winter War is over already.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
seriously..using CAS to do Interdiction is so ownage..you can kill ANYONE with that :p

I was playing as Sweden, had taken Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Finland, Denmark, and I was a ally of germany, and later I took England (you just airdrop some troops in Cardiff I think and land troops with boats)

my only disadvantage in the battles vs england was their enourmous navy, and constant counterattacks from USA /they had allied with Ireland becouse I tried invading them but USA fortified the island to quickly, so they are constantly harrasing england, which is my best IC source..)

my battles vs Russia arent going good, I make small advances during the summer, then during the winter stalemate ensues, and they counterattack, then during the summer small advances again :p

It's a ever lasting battle :confused:

Upvote 0
seriously..using CAS to do Interdiction is so ownage..you can kill ANYONE with that :p

It shouldn't even be allowed. Especially not with full upgraded CAS/TAC air doctrine. :p

I just checked and as of September 10, 1941 I have a total of 83 (yes, 83) air divisions; a combination of CAS, TAC bombers and Interceptors. The CAS makes up about half, TAC/Int's a quarter each. They're currently stationed amongst Memel, Konigsberg and Warsaw, preparing for my offensive into the Soviet Union next summer :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It shouldn't even be allowed. Especially not with full upgraded CAS/TAC air doctrine. :p

I just checked and as of September 10, 1941 I have a total of 83 (yes, 83) air divisions; a combination of CAS, TAC bombers and Interceptors. The CAS makes up about half, TAC/Int's a quarter each. They're currently stationed amongst Memel, Konigsberg and Warsaw, preparing for my offensive into the Soviet Union next summer :D
CAS is meant for ground attack, look at their values. Tac bombers are for interdiction, but CAS are for ground attack. I've had them wipe out armored divisions that way.

Nice work Wasabi, and that's what the game is about, you learn as you go. I remember my first time playing I didn't fair so well either, but you learn as you go.

USSR is easy but at the same time, you have to get ready for 1941. From the start, 1936, you have to be producing infantry divisions. Brigades too, since you are going to be on the defensive for at least the first 6 months, I always go with arty brigades and engineer for my tanks. They both up the defensive values, and the arty ups the soft attack value by a lot.

As far as the alliances go, just be patient, eventually they will accept. It all depends on how you do as well. I always make sure the country I want to be allied to has 200+ relations with me and then usually you can ally, but not always.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Well I enlisted most of Europe in the Axis;
Germany
Slovakia
Hungary
Bulgaria
Italy
Romania
Nationalist Spain WAS in the Axis before UK annexed it, and then I responded
by conquering Spain right back
Japan
Mengkuoko
The other -kuoko
Siam
Finland

All against the USSR at the moment, and yet I'm the only one doing anything! I made rabid pushes for Moscow, Leningrad, Stalingrade and Baku and successfully captured all of them. Unfortunately, because of the fact that I failed to leave sizeable garrisons behind me as I went, the Soviets swallowed all the land I took up and I've got four armies sitting in isolated provinces, out of supply, totally surrounded by Soviet divisions.

Luckily enough, I've got 66 infantry divisions in parallel right now, with 3x each in serial. Ought to be fun for the Soviets, being faced with 196 fresh 1943 infantry divisions.

And those bastards wiped out my entire wing of aircraft, every last one. I forgot to garrison my airbase territory and that ended that.

I can't seem to trigger A Bitter Peace. I'm still at about +50% in War Score, so I could go for a White Peace if I want, but I want to trigger the event and have the Bolsheviks surrender... but it simply is not happening. Been waiting for almost a year now.

Upvote 0
Well I enlisted most of Europe in the Axis;
Germany
Slovakia
Hungary
Bulgaria
Italy
Romania
Nationalist Spain WAS in the Axis before UK annexed it, and then I responded
by conquering Spain right back
Japan
Mengkuoko
The other -kuoko
Siam
Finland

All against the USSR at the moment, and yet I'm the only one doing anything! I made rabid pushes for Moscow, Leningrad, Stalingrade and Baku and successfully captured all of them. Unfortunately, because of the fact that I failed to leave sizeable garrisons behind me as I went, the Soviets swallowed all the land I took up and I've got four armies sitting in isolated provinces, out of supply, totally surrounded by Soviet divisions.

Luckily enough, I've got 66 infantry divisions in parallel right now, with 3x each in serial. Ought to be fun for the Soviets, being faced with 196 fresh 1943 infantry divisions.

And those bastards wiped out my entire wing of aircraft, every last one. I forgot to garrison my airbase territory and that ended that.

I can't seem to trigger A Bitter Peace. I'm still at about +50% in War Score, so I could go for a White Peace if I want, but I want to trigger the event and have the Bolsheviks surrender... but it simply is not happening. Been waiting for almost a year now.

LOL learn to garrison aka defend your gained territory. I learned that a long time ago. I once lost 10 sqaudrons of air craft to an enemy motrized korps capturing a province i left undefended. NOW I make sure my airfield are always defended if air craft are based there.

And it sounds like you advanced way too fast without flank protection, bad move. It is very tempting in Russia, but you have to becareful still as you have noticed. Even though you got all those divs ready to pop out, don't forget so do the Soviets, they are pumping out even more troops than you. Plus by the time you field those other events will happen as well.

Anyway, sounds like you are having fun and learning the game and strategy as you go along. You will make mistakes, but you learn from them.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
How the **** do I get Italy into the Axis? I've already destroyed Poland by late September, France was mine by early November (The brits actually attacked Vichy with an ampibious assault :-O), in the summer of 1940 I overran Yugoslavia in about 3 weeks, and they still refuse to join me or even sign a non-aggression pact. I've tried giving them loads of resources but that doesn't change a thing. All of the events that come up I've gone with the option that will increase my standing with them, and still nothing.

Help! I completly **** at diplomacy.

EDIT:How did I get democracy and diplomacy mixed up? Eh!?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I rarely leave my airbases garrisoned by frontline troops; they are always my first priority when I have garrison units out, because it would **** losing 8 Bomber wings to a band of partisans. If I notice the enemy advancing on one of my air bases, I pull my planes back to another, and bomb from there. After the situation is consolidated, move up.

Apparently, Wasabi, you lack situational awareness, something very important with the game. I literally pause every two in-game hours (basically two seconds) to reassess my situation, look for troop movements, guage whether or not I need to reinforce a province, whether the troops there can hold the attackers off, or if I should pull back entirely. Always check your flanks, encircle whenever possible, strike where your enemy is weakest, all these things are important.

Furthermore, just because you hold those territories, does not mean that the USSR will surrender; since Japan is in the Axis, they must also take Vladivostok. Even then, there is a 5% chance each week that Stalin will sue for peace.

Another thing, just how much have the Russians taken?

Upvote 0
We're back to pre-war borders, unfortunately, but with my corps stranded in the strategic provinces... I guess I had to learn the hard way.

Japan has already taken Vladivostok, which means that the Siberian province normally required isn't necessary. Still, I suppose getting my arse whooped like I did is a good learning experience for next time :D

Upvote 0
Your best bet therefore would be to use supply convoys to supply the units in Leningrad and break out toward Moscow and Germany. Baku is as good as lost unless you can break out and, possibly, get supplies across the Black Sea to the Caucasus. Highly unlikely. Furthermore, your all infantry approach will make linking up with those corps a very lengthy, time consuming process during which time the stockpiles that exist will die out and your units will starve to death. Kind of depressing, really. However, since Leningrad, Moscow, and Stalingrad are all urban centers with high fortifications and Baku is mountainous terrain, you could hold out for a few months, depending on the units you have in those locations. The odds are against you from the sound of things.

And yes Coey, you **** at democracy because you're playing as Nazi Germany :p

Upvote 0