• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Paradox Interactive Thread

Well, rocket test grounds help quite a bit. Plus dedicating research to it from 1936 helps :) As it stands, it looks like it will arrive late 39 or early 40, and my nuke research is coming along nicely too :)

Ok, but you waste a tech team slot for 3-4 years almost, that is insane. As a result you are behind on other research like land tech or other more important air techs. Plus the IC and time you have to spend building the rocket facilities is another waste , imho.

The 3-4 years it takes to research that 1 tech you could of researched 4-8 other ones. (depening of course on what they are). I just don't see the benefit.

Upvote 0
CAS are unstoppable when you got all the doctrines...

Yep, right now I have 2 wings of of CAS of 4 aircraft each. So total 8 Stuka sqaudrons, along with 8 HE-111s sqaudrons doings CAS, they are murder. I was able to break through the maginot line in November thanks to them. LOL

I have have 2 tech teams constantly researching Air Doctrine techs. My Luftwaffe murders the opposition. I need to take some screenies...

Upvote 0
Is it worth is to supply every division for an offensive? I did it just now, August 30th '39. I haven't yet invaded Poland so I can't tell the difference, but is it worth it to stockpile the extra supplies for a while?

I think the stockpile last only for 10 days, I am not 100% sure though. It gives you a nice boost, but watch your over all supply it drops it drasticly if you use it often and for many units. Notice how much it drops when you do it once.

The benefit is great, again, I am not a 100% of the details on the bonuses you recieve but obviously get a attack bonus for your offensive and possibly other ones. I usually give to the units who will be carrying out the main attack, and possibly facing stiff opposition. Which means I only give it to my fast moving formations, i.e tanks divisions, motorized and mechanized divisions. (I think it also gives a movement bonus).

Upvote 0
Supplying for an offensive will drain a good deal of your resources (hover your mouse over the button to enable offensive to see how much it will cost in supplies and oil), it will also raise your TC considerably. On the positive side, your troops will move faster and will have +50% effectivity (ESE) in combat. Offensive mode lasts for 30 days.

Upvote 0
Supplying for an offensive will drain a good deal of your resources (hover your mouse over the button to enable offensive to see how much it will cost in supplies and oil), it will also raise your TC considerably. On the positive side, your troops will move faster and will have +50% effectivity (ESE) in combat. Offensive mode lasts for 30 days.
Thanks for that info!

Upvote 0
Well, my first successful campaign, Poland was conquered in a little over a month. Avoiding river borders helps immensely, which I found out after my first Soviet campaign. Ended up taking military control of Hungary (I split Czechoslovakia with Hungary instead of forming Slovakia.) and using their forces to encircle Warsaw, and finished them by attacking Warsaw with 60 divisions at the same time :p In anticipation of the Winter War, and the Soviets being tied up in Finland, I moved almost every single division I have (well over 100) to the Germany-France border and am preparing to:

1) Invade Liege with several infantry divisions moving from Cologne. Once through the hills of Liege, the armour will move up and continue through Belgium, taking advantage of the plains, which will give me an opportunity to swing around into the open French territories behind Strasbourg. I realize Aachen is a forest territory which means I HAVE to be on the offensive :p

2) Invade Strasbourg, the only border province with a land barrier apart from Metz-Luxembourg (I annexed Luxembourg quickly). Obviously a solid chokepoint for the French but with heavy interdiction from my 15+ tactical bomber squadrons, combined with the 2:1 numbers advantage I have, I'm sure I'll penetrate. My other provinces in the area will be on support attack.

3) I'm currently churning out a total of 49 infantry divisions due to be completed within 365 days... 7 in Parallel, and 7 in Serial for each. I just completed Small Arms Assembly Line and am 95% complete my Vehicle Assembly Line, as well as being 50% done my Aircraft Assembly Line. Once the Vehicle Assembly Line is complete I will be producing as many armoured divisions as I can to add to the pressure in Belgium.

One big problem. I can't get Romania or Italy to join the Axis. I have my relations up at 150+ and there's still a 0% chance of them joining the Axis, according to the "Invite to Military Alliance" screen. I would like to get Finland in here, too, but unfortunately, they're a democracy and can't yet be invited. Not sure how I will change that.

I've guaranteed independance with Romania and Italy and even the NA pact chances are extremely low; 35-45 percent.

Am I missing something here?

Upvote 0
Romania doesn't join until the Soviet Union demands certain provinces from them or you go to war with SU (I think) and Italy doesn't join until you beat France. The easiest allies to get are Hungary, Bulgaria, Nat Spain. Finland will also join you after the Winter War. Turkey can be brought in before their government changes in 39, but they open up some dangerous new fronts.

Upvote 0
Romania and Italy should join the Axis or be in a position to join the Axis if you give France a good enough thrashing. Finland will join if they lose the Winter War, in which case their relations with you increase dramatically.

Our relations are at +200, but there is a 0% chance of them joining the Axis. I guess because, as you said, it's mostly triggered by France getting whipped.

Speaking of which...

My invasion into France proper didn't end up well. I assaulted Metz and Strasbourg with 50 divisions attacking each province, using 15 tactical bomber squadrons to run interdiction, equipped all my forces with offensive supply, and I still lost, in both provinces. I'm not sure why, either. I don't think the land forts are too high.. I think my organization might have been low, but I can't remember the levels.

Is it advisable to annex Belgium first, then push around the French lines and encircle them from there? I can't think of why not...

It just occurred to me, but do Strasbourg and Metz represent the Maginot line?

Upvote 0
Exactly, that would be the smart thing.

Only assault the Maginot Line when there are 3 units in a province or so.

Otherwise your best bet will always be to go through the Low Countries.

There's an easy way to destroy half of the French Army and blitz through the Maginot Line, but I'm not gonna say.:p

Another thing is, make sure that you have plenty of HQ units with a General or Field Marshall leading it. HQs do not offer bonuses if they are led by Lt. Generals or Mj. Generals. Bonuses affect units in adjacent provinces to the HQ, so always have them in tow.

Don't forget to use brigades either. Artillery, SP Artillery, Engineers, etc. These will offer your units considerable bonuses which could give them the upper hand in battle.

Upvote 0
I've saved, it's January 1st, 1940. I've got my 130+ divisions poised on the borders of France + Belgium, with my 50+ infantry divisions and 21 tank divisions in both serial and parallel production right now.

Should I wait until I've got HUGE numbers of tank divisions to pour into Belgium and basically totally annihilate them? I figure if I wait til May 10th (no, I didn't just pull that date out of the air :p) then I will be far better-equipped to take on the divisions that France seems to pull out of its ass upon my invasion of Belgium.

Upvote 0
You can take out France with as many as 9 Panzer divisions. Any more will just reduce the amount of time it takes. I tend to use 12: 3 groups of 3 as well as 3 that are commanded by Mj. Generals to reinforce hotspots.

As far as date is concerned, attack the moment that the weather clears up. Don't waste any time, time is Germany's most important yet scarcest resource. April is an optimum time to start the blitz. Don't wait for more/better units, learn from History, think of Kursk! Although France is rather easy to beat, in the HSR mod though, they were pretty tough, but beaten in about a month.

Manstein, change your avatar back. It's bothering me.

Upvote 0
You can take out France with as many as 9 Panzer divisions. Any more will just reduce the amount of time it takes. I tend to use 12: 3 groups of 3 as well as 3 that are commanded by Mj. Generals to reinforce hotspots.

As far as date is concerned, attack the moment that the weather clears up. Don't waste any time, time is Germany's most important yet scarcest resource. April is an optimum time to start the blitz. Don't wait for more/better units, learn from History, think of Kursk! Although France is rather easy to beat, in the HSR mod though, they were pretty tough, but beaten in about a month.

Manstein, change your avatar back. It's bothering me.

France is a walkover you don't need too many forces to do it. I beat them even with less forces than they have. You just have to mass the troops you have at the point of the attack.

I got a campaign going right now (with HSR mod which makes it a lot harder) and I did go through the maginot line, a first for me and here is the reason. While I was busy with Poland I only had 6 divisions in Saarbrucken, the French massed 31 divisions against my 6. They broke through and took Saarbrucken.

By that time I had finnished Poland and all my forces were re-deplying to the west. Luckily I did have some divisions in central Germany formking new Korps. So I took those, about 4 divisions total and stop their advance. Then I placed all my re-deployed divisions into Freiburg.

The French had only 2 divisions in the province opposite Freiburg. I attacked with 30 divisions, mostly armor and 8 tac bombers and 8 stukas bomber sqaudrons. I over ran them. I attacked north into Metz which was held by 1 division thus trapping 38 total French divisions.

By December 1939, 39 French divisions surrendered. Even though it was in the middle of winter I continued my advance into France as there was really nothing stopping me now. There were more Brittish divisions there than French. By middle of January 1940 France was mine.

Like Hobo said, you never really want to attack a level 10 fort, its insane, unless its held by 1 division and you have a lot of manpower backing up your attack.

And yes do not forget about brigades. In vanilla HOI2 my favorite is the engineer, I would build a lot of them and put them on my panzer and motorized divisions. Gives them a bonus attacking across rivers, speed bonus across rivers, and better defense too.

Upvote 0