• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Water, Swimming?

DangDave

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2006
Illinois, USA
This was obviously never considered in game development. :rolleyes:
When entering a deep body of water you can just walk along the bottom
and not worry about holding your breath or any ill effects for that matter.

Not Very Realistic

You should be able to swim, there should be a breath meter and your equiptment should get wet and maybe be usless for a time.

Any thoughts?

Well the map I noticed it on was a custom ( Lake Lands )
but that doesn't excuse the fact.

Rivers like the Volga were major obstacles that needed to be crossed one way or another.

Even if all the devs could do was make it so you drown when getting in over your head, it would be a plus.

It's map maker's decision how the water works on it. You played custom map so speak to that map's creator about his water.

Upvote 0
can water be set to kill like the invisible mine field/spawn thing?

that would be realistic :rolleyes:

Yes. Mappers can place a volume in the water that damages players every second. They could even go farther and make it only damage you in the deep parts or place a trigger that activates the volume after a certain period of time.

As a mapper I personally try to avoid using large bodies of water because this game wasn't made with swimming in mind.

Upvote 0
Well the map I noticed it on was a custom ( Lake Lands )
but that doesn't excuse the fact.

Rivers like the Volga were major obstacles that needed to be crossed one way or another.

Even if all the devs could do was make it so you drown when getting in over your head, it would be a plus.

The last thing soldiers would do is cross the freaking Volga by swimming.

The Volga, the Rhine, the Bug, the Don, and most of the rivers where big battles took place are not exactly the little quiet streams you think they are, DangDave. You can't have a unit of men swim across them with combat gear on and expect to be in any shape to fight the enemy when on the other side (if you even make it to the other side).

Upvote 0

The Volga, the Rhine, the Bug, the Don, and most of the rivers where big battles took place are not exactly the little quiet streams you think they are, DangDave. You can't have a unit of men swim across them with combat gear on and expect to be in any shape to fight the enemy when on the other side (if you even make it to the other side).

I have read about the German retreat across the Don.
The germans abandoned their rifles, packs and trench coats. They gatherd bunched of wood and reeds and tied them together with their belts and swam across like that.
However on the other side they where sent to penal batalions for los of equipment.

This is the only way you can cross a deep river with out a boat or raft.

Upvote 0

never said they were, just first river name that popped in to my head.

just think the water needs to be addressed.

It would be unlikely that a soldier with equipment would try and swim anything, just think that if the water is over your head you should not be able to walk to the other side.
Something realistic like drowning is in order here.
Maybe you could drop some equipment to swim, only take rifle.

Upvote 0
never said they were, just first river name that popped in to my head.

just think the water needs to be addressed.

It would be unlikely that a soldier with equipment would try and swim anything, just think that if the water is over your head you should not be able to walk to the other side.
Something realistic like drowning is in order here.
Maybe you could drop some equipment to swim, only take rifle.

I certainly wouldn't put it high on the priority list.

Upvote 0
I just played another map with deep water.
A tank was on the bridge, I ran down into the river, across to the other side, came up behind the tank and satcheled him.

Ya, that was pretty real, lets keep it.

I've even got a new class for ya

Frogman

Frogmen can just run on the bottom of rivers where no one will see them and pop up to destroy vehicles.

I havent tried shooting under water but I dont see why you can't
maybe we can get someone to make an entire map thats under water!

That would be cool!

Last edited:
Upvote 0