• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unusually low framerate.

Random, did those drivers fix your low fps issue? The 81.98 did it for me - wonderfully. I used to be able to run RO at 1280x960, Highest settings at 60+ fps average. The booster pack's problem areas would bring my FPS down to about 10 at 1024x768 MEDIUM settings!! But after rolling back my drivers, I'm back to playing at much higher res and FPS.

It ****s these drivers don't do too well with Hitman: Blood Money. :(

Upvote 0
At first, I thought I fixed this problem by rolling back to ForceWare 81.98 --- but when playing high-action maps, my low-FPS problems are back. I gotta give up RO for a while because it's a very annoying problem. Even if I run my game at 640x480 it's not help because it would go from 140fps down to 3-10fps when looking the direction of the action. :(

Someone finds a fix, pls let me know.

AMD64 3500+
2GB Corsair RAM
BFG 6600GT OC
K8NSC-939 MB

(no virus, no trojans, fresh install of XP & RO)

Upvote 0
i am seemingly having the same problem. before the booster it ran fine, since then it gets so laggy i can't aim my gun when i confront somebody. i don't want to go back to CoD, but i'm getting really tired of jacking with tweaks and drivers and what not...i thought at first it was the new map but it's everymap ,even tiny custom maps get laggy anymore. it's really frustrating and overly annoying!

Upvote 0
Guys...It's not your gfx card (let me assure you, your 6600 or 9800 will run any other game with gfx from year 2004 with ease), it's the lack of CPU optimization. Have you noticed how many servers start lagging from time to time?... It's just insane that a game made on the engine so old consumes the same CPU power as 64-player Battlefield 2 Special Forces - with smoke ,flash nades, vehicles, choppers and planes...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The older drivers helped a bit, but I still get massive drops (into the 20's and sometimes below) when I look at certain points in a map (whether or not something graphically intense is happening there or not).

Sometimes I notice if I rest my gun on an object, the framerate plummets. But if I stand up and go into I.S. in the same spot, the framerate stays stable. It seems to be weird non-graphical stuff like this that (for me) cause the FPS issues.

Again, this never used to happen before the last patch. The game is plenty playable, but the framerate drops are a bit irksome.

What do you think, Yoshiro?

Upvote 0
I had a similar FPS problem on my PC (3.2 GHZ, GeForce 6800 Video card with 2 Gig ram). I used the tip found elsewhere in the FAQ section of these forums;

Error: My game is running abnormally slow (ie: low fps)

Fix We beleive some grafics cards have problems with DirectX 9.0)
1. While in game, hit 'Esc' to go to the ingame menu (If you are already in the Main menu, simply click on 'Configuration' and proceed with step 4)
2. Click on 'Game Controls'
3. Click on 'Configuration'
4. Click on the second tab labelled 'Display'
5. In the drop down menu 'Render Device' select 'Direct 3D' instead of 'Direct 3D 9.0'
6. Return to the game

I made this change and it seemed to fix it, with no degradation in game graphics! I no longer suffer big FPS drops when looking at smoke on the bridge on Barashka and similar effects on other maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I ran some tests last night and found out that using HDR Bloom is a realy Framerate killer.
With HDR 'Bloom off RO runs twice as fast as before!

EDIT:
My system:
AMD64 3200, 1GB RAM, Geforce 5900xt (128MB)agp,gigabyte 939 mainboard and a 160GB HD.
My nvidia driver version is 7.8.0.1 and i

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another thing that might help people with nVidia cards is to check if you have "Vertical Synchronisation" forced or application controlled.
Yesterday I tried to set my refresh rate to 60Hz instead of it's maximum (75Hz).
For TFT screens this doesn't matter (I use a TFT). As in if you do this for a CRT screen you get a headache, not with a TFT.

Anyway, after setting it to 60Hz I set vertical synch to "ON" (as in forced) and my performance dropped considerably.
I lost 15-30 fps.

Switched back to application controlled and presto! (I still have my refresh rate set to 60Hz because this means less stress for the videocard).

Upvote 0
Another thing that might help people with nVidia cards is to check if you have "Vertical Synchronisation" forced or application controlled.
Yesterday I tried to set my refresh rate to 60Hz instead of it's maximum (75Hz).
For TFT screens this doesn't matter (I use a TFT). As in if you do this for a CRT screen you get a headache, not with a TFT.

Anyway, after setting it to 60Hz I set vertical synch to "ON" (as in forced) and my performance dropped considerably.
I lost 15-30 fps.

Switched back to application controlled and presto! (I still have my refresh rate set to 60Hz because this means less stress for the videocard).

I will see what my profile is set at when I get home from work.

But I think the key issue is still that [we] didnt need to use these tweaks/settings before the last patch. It worked fine with the same settings.

Upvote 0
I lost 15-30 fps.

If you enable vertical sync, make sure triple buffering is on as well, otherwise you will drop frames. Triple buffering can be enabled in advanced performance settings in nvidia control panel. (just in case)

Most of the drops in frames in RO are CPU related (ie when 3 or 4 smgs are firing at the same time. Remember every bullet has to be calculated for drop collision etc. Often you can turn up the AA&AF without losing more frames, but the CPU will get maxed when a lot is going on. If it was a memory bottleneck, you'd hear your HD making read/write noises while you are playing.

Aside from that, I have noticed that on certain custom maps frames will drop if you face a spawn area (with no bot pathing) and stay in iron sights for a while. I've left the computer and came back to it to see FPS crawling slow to a crawl for an obscure reason. Memory leak?

Upvote 0