• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Bt 7

Lex

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2006
Ohio
Here are a few screens of the BT 7 that I am working on. I have a few details that I want to add and I have to finish UV mapping the interior and turret areas. I am desperately looking for a good skinner (I am terrible at skinning) so if anyone is really good at skinning or know someone that would be willing to help out let me know please.

bt7.jpg

bt7_a.jpg

bt7_b.jpg

drivers compartment
driver.jpg

driver_2.jpg

turret area
turret.jpg

turret_2.jpg

Looking good Lex! :D

Just as a suggestion though I would spend more polys on the parts that players will spend a lot of time looking at. For example a driver will spend probably 50% of his time in the tank with the steering wheel in view so increasing the detail there is polys well spent.

If you've got too many polys already you might consider taking the detail down on other parts of the tank to make up for it. Just be sure to prioritize the detail level because it doesn't make sense that a knob at the back of the tank gets a lot of detail when a headlight that can always be seen by the driver gets neglected.

Wish I could help you get a skinner for this thing as I would love to see it ingame! :cool:

Upvote 0
Nice work.

I don't know if it's the perspective of the view or not, but the barrel of the cannon looks too wide. The picture makes it look to be about 1/2 the size of the headlights, whereas I think it should be more like 1/4.

The current weapon looks more like a 75mm than a 45mm, IMO.

Just a small nit.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys

DrGuppy:
I will add more to the front of the driver, I was hoping that a good skinner could add hydraulic lines and bolts so that it look like there was more detail without adding poly count.

worluk:
You have a deal, I will get it skinned, animated, and rigged and send it to you. By doing it this way I can get back to the maxim and have it ready for you to script sooner. Thanks

DingBat:
I thought the same, that the barrel looked way to wide so I put the blueprint back up in max to compare mine to the blueprint and they line up. I think I will go ahead and reduce the size now that someone else feels the same as I do, because we all know size does matter.

Do any of you know if I have to change the original size to get it to look right in game? With UO I had to increase the size by 10% so that it was right in game.

Thanks guys
Lex

Upvote 0
you working with Maya right? How about importing an ScaleActor to Maya and check if it fits roughly.

I think there was also some weird way to calculate the distances in Maya to UUs but i cant remember, maybe someone else knows.

I think in 3dSM the distance is 1:1 in UUs (i think Dingbat mentioned something like that one time)

Upvote 0
worluk said:
you working with Maya right? How about importing an ScaleActor to Maya and check if it fits roughly.

I think there was also some weird way to calculate the distances in Maya to UUs but i cant remember, maybe someone else knows.

I think in 3dSM the distance is 1:1 in UUs (i think Dingbat mentioned something like that one time)

As far as I know, its 1:1 in Maya too. Its worked that way so far for me.

Upvote 0
Nice work.

I don't know if it's the perspective of the view or not, but the barrel of the cannon looks too wide. The picture makes it look to be about 1/2 the size of the headlights, whereas I think it should be more like 1/4.

The current weapon looks more like a 75mm than a 45mm, IMO.

Just a small nit.

If it's a BT-7a, it should have a 76.2. Looks great though mate, I want to drive it!

Upvote 0
There were a variety of variants of the BT7. The most prominant was armed with the 45mm. Other variants featured flame throwers and there was the infantry support version which carried the 76.2mm in a short-barrel. Our version is of the typical 45mm. It was a very good vehicle but by 1941, it was out classed and out gunned by most standards but laid vital groundwork for the T34. Compare at BT7 and a T34 side by side and note the similarities.

Upvote 0