• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Love the game but a few things..

SteveTheDiver

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 4, 2006
Well I am one of those who decided to try the free trial of Red Orchestra. I have to say, great game you have on your hands here.

My only concern thus far has been the reaction I recieved on alot of the servers I joined. I am just learning the ins and outs of the game and alot of people seem to be stuck on their high horses looking down at new people. I dont know if it is just me, but I have ended up shooting teamates at a distance because I cannot easily confirm whether they are german or russian, which is defintly my fault I admit. I have said sorry on every occasion, but half of these instances I either recieved a "****in idiot" or was shot when I respawned. Or worse, followed around the map and continuely shot at.

The other thing is tanks, if there are 3 slots in a tank, for 3 people, why is it you get yelled at for jumping in with someone and being told to "get out of my tank"? I let people in my tank, what is the point of going by yourself?

Hoping I can find some decent servers out there somewhere, and that this isnt a common attitude..

Overall a good game, but somewhat dissapointing responce from the servers I joined. Perhaps they were just bad apples in the bunch? Or is this a common thing?

My only concern thus far has been the reaction I recieved on alot of the servers I joined. I am just learning the ins and outs of the game and alot of people seem to be stuck on their high horses looking down at new people. I dont know if it is just me, but I have ended up shooting teamates at a distance because I cannot easily confirm whether they are german or russian, which is defintly my fault I admit. I have said sorry on every occasion, but half of these instances I either recieved a "****in idiot" or was shot when I respawned. Or worse, followed around the map and continuely shot at.

Yeah, I agree about the high horse point. Some of these newbies are pretty damn good, and what they lack in skill they make up for in sheer enthusiam.

Don't worry about it. Everyone had this problem when they first started. We have all shot people on our own team from a distance, and anyone who says they haven't are lying. Give it some time and you'll start to notice how that figure in the distance is just a slightly bit too brown to be a Kraut, or slightly too grey to be Ivan and viola, you'll probably never shoot another friendly again, on purpose that is.

And about people who chase you around after you TK them, you get them in every online game everywhere. Don't worry about it.

Upvote 0
SteveTheDiver said:
Well I am one of those who decided to try the free trial of Red Orchestra. I have to say, great game you have on your hands here.

The other thing is tanks, if there are 3 slots in a tank, for 3 people, why is it you get yelled at for jumping in with someone and being told to "get out of my tank"? I let people in my tank, what is the point of going by yourself?

Hoping I can find some decent servers out there somewhere, and that this isnt a common attitude..

Overall a good game, but somewhat dissapointing responce from the servers I joined. Perhaps they were just bad apples in the bunch? Or is this a common thing?

hmm i know what you mean. but i'm not sure if these guys really are veterans. sure, there are many ppl that are really frustrated because of the newbies. but i don't thinks it's because of their state of not knowing the game but the fact that many of the newbies really ****. they do spawnkilling, use abusive language and so on. sometimes it's really hard then, to be gentle. i'm really when the free week is over. when the cs and dod kids are gone and the ro community hopefully gets some new and great members to deal with :)
but none the less, the guys you'll meet in this forum and on the servers out their are the greatest community i know. even if you won't see me that frequently here :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Team Tanking is much more effective. Hell, I'll drive off to pick someone up on foot. Reality is though some people just like to go at it alone. I can respect that.What I do mind is being a dick about it. Anyways.....
Try looking for people with T T after their name (team tanker), add or remove from player name in options.
If thats the style of play your into at the moment, this makes other players aware and inviting. At the same time however, I may just be looking for a ride lonewolf. If I jump in your tank at spawn, please give a brother a ride. (this is where mic's are awsome[lol]):)

Upvote 0
I always drive alone. That said, I never ask anybody to leave my tank, I'll jump out and find another one. Also, I tend to join underpopulated servers so everybody has a tank.

Team tanking vs solo tanking topic has been beaten to death on these forums. I guess in clan screams team tanking is more effective, but on pubs, not so.

About the attitude though...at least we don't have "press F10" joke:)

Upvote 0
SteveTheDiver said:
I dont know if it is just me, but I have ended up shooting teamates at a distance because I cannot easily confirm whether they are german or russian, which is defintly my fault I admit.

It is not just you. It is everyone that I have know when they started playing the game. Target identification is a skill just like aiming, it takes practice. In the first days of the release of RO, everyone one shooting everyone at long range. Espcialy when tank drivers hope out, because it seems that for some reason tank drivers uniforms are often (always?) the color of the opposite side.

It takes a while and I would bet, but I would not be sure, that the guy who cursed you out was also a new player who perhaps just uses short range weapons and does not know how often team kills happen when you are starting out. I have not had many people complain after I have appologised for a long range target ID failure.

JesterOC

Upvote 0
Well first I will give you an apology from the mature and understanding players. I wouldn't want someone getting turned off from the game by someone's inner self being an assclown. Feel free to stop by [FTA]-Phoenix gaming server and when I'm on, I will personally ensure you have a good day/night of gaming.

For those that are idiots (being polite) remember you too were new to the game. This game has a much steeper learning curve than other games. Which is a good thing!

Upvote 0
a majority of people on this game are mature and nice, some of them are very cranky old men who do not really like other people though..

as far as the tanks go..just ignore them and get in the tank..i mean if there arent enough players sure solo tank but no one owns the tanks, if someone complains too much about wanting their own tank i always make sure to get in it..

Upvote 0
SteveTheDiver said:

Well, where to start.. sounds like you ran into some really awfull players there..

Ok, Eliteism, i have not seen much of this in the RO community, usually, RO players are very helpfull twords newbies, or will just let them go their merry way, its very rare to see RO vets attack a newbie (unless they really deserve it, but they would have to be very rude or intentional TK'ers), its definately not the norm, and looked down upon.

Im guessing the people you ran into where either fellow free-trial players, or vets who where so stressed out they where at the end of their rope and just snapped.. but regardless, it is certainly not the norm, and not something this community accepts.

If a player says sorry after a TK, the vast majority will instantly forgive you.

As for players hunting you down and TK'ing you because of a TK, thats definately not the norm! in my time here i have heard a few such storries, but i have never seen it myself, so it is rare, and usually done by n00bs (anyone well known in this community ever get caught pulling a stunt like that.. i wouldent want to be in their shoes!), the community definately looks down upon such behaviour.

As for tanks, well, im sorry to say that its not unheard of, there are players out there who wont share a tank, and im betting that durring this free trial, even more of them wont want a newbie in their tank.

Most people who want a tank for themselves, wont demand that you get out though, its considdered very bad etiquette, but will get out themselves and find another tank to Solo in, and thats their choice, doesen't bother me, and many players will team tank with you IF you use communication, especially VOIP, its vital that you do this if you want to team tank, people will usually tank with communicating players.

Alternatively, as said, look for people with the TT tag, and you are welcome to add the tag yourself, just read the sticky thread in this forum titled "How to find cooperative tankers more easilly ingame", as there are some rules of conduct that we adhere to (we want to make sure that playing with a TT'er is allways a good experiance, so stuff like beeing polite, and helping others is important if you wear the tag).

But dont let this put you off RO, this community is usually one of the most mature and freindly on the FPS scene, ofcourse we have bad apples, everyone does, but we do strive for something better :)

Upvote 0
The reason why everyone like to be by themselves in tanks is cause its so much easier to control it. When someone else gets in the tank, a simple order forward turns into this big ordeal. The guy will go backward, or he will go to the left or the right, or he will just ignore you all together. Then you will start yelling at him to do it an get all pissed, then you blow up. Most of the time the driver just completely ignore and goes wherever he wants to, like your not even there.:mad: :mad: But there is always that one driver that actually works with you and when you get him, its fun as hell. We need more of them.:(

Upvote 0
SGC|taur! said:
hmm i know what you mean. but i'm not sure if these guys really are veterans. sure, there are many ppl that are really frustrated because of the newbies. but i don't thinks it's because of their state of not knowing the game but the fact that many of the newbies really ****. they do spawnkilling, use abusive language and so on. sometimes it's really hard then, to be gentle. i'm really when the free week is over. when the cs and dod kids are gone and the ro community hopefully gets some new and great members to deal with :)
but none the less, the guys you'll meet in this forum and on the servers out their are the greatest community i know. even if you won't see me that frequently here :rolleyes:

I agree, I have a hard time imagining a vet following you around after TKing, Atleast I hope this person don`t play RO .

Upvote 0
SteveTheDiver said:

people like them can ruin the game. Honestly I'm sick of them. I always see people crying when they get tked, even if the tker said sorry. I guess it's not as bad now. Actually with the trial now it will linger on for a while. After it's is over everything should settle.

When I played a month ago people seemed to be more serious about tking. One time I accidently dropped a satchel while switching weapons, it killed 2 or 3 of my teammates. Everyone decided to yell at me at the mic even though I said sorry and explained it to them. They told me to get out of their halftrack and to stop playing blah blah blah. They were really serious about it. After that incident I havent really heard or seen anyone like them anymore.

I guess people usually solo because they think everyone else are noobs who dont know how to gun or drive. Hell I've even had a person yell at me for just getting in the freaking MG Position. When I group tank I always try to do my best. It's more fun to group tank, especially when you and your tank crew have good chemistry and just know what to do.

Sometimes you just have to find the right server and get to know everyone. The game will get better :)

Upvote 0