• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Where are all the awesome maps???

Ironcheese

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2006
Germany, Hamburg
Hi ppl.

i really enjoy the free trial over steam and i tested the game since the trial started. Before that i loved to play Red Orchstra 3.3.(too bad that no-one is playing that anymore)
I have noticed some changes some are awesome but some are bad, in my opinion....
I think Red Orchestra is worth to play because of the great and intense infantry fight. Urban War...
I belong to the ppl who hate tanks (if i wanna drive tanks around, i play Battlefield or Panzer Elite or somethin else).
Now i had to find out that some of the best Infantry-only maps are taken out, and those maps which where for Infantry are having now tanks in it... WTF?! (thinking about ro_hedgehog)

I mean where are all the awesome maps from 3.3? I think about maps like: ro_jucha
ro_warsaw (my favorite map)
ro_berlin
ro_ponyri
ro_rostov
ro_danzig
ro_donets

just to name some of them....
all of them where great Infantry-only maps, but non of them are in the game....
hopefully they will be included later...

anyway Red Orchestra still belongs to my favorite WW2 games

greetings
Ironcheese

ps: sorry for my english ^^ (and i might not answer cuz, i'm on vacation until next week tuesday)

Konigsplatz replaced the old, run-down piece of crap called "Berlin", just as Basovka replaced Ponyri. Danzig can't be brought over because of legal issues, the maker of Rostov asked Tripwire NOT to port it...

Someone ported Warsaw to Ostfront.

Tripwire has decided to focus their efforts on new maps, instead of old ones. So pretty much its just a few maps on your list that aren't in Ostfront...

Upvote 0
I will never understand how people still think that the mod version of berlin was good... It was one crappy map, and rather boring at that :p

We got some very good inf maps in ostfront in my opinion, the CA maps are nice, and we're starting to see some really good custom tank maps aswell (don't think the official tank maps were that great, unfortunately).

Snowyforest is a great inf map for example.

Now if we only could bribe uncledraxx so he stops working on his house and gets volkhovriver done... ;-)

Upvote 0
It's unfortunate but true. I also (along with many mod vets) miss the old maps, but it's very unlikely that most will ever see the light of Ost. :(

One that I haven't heard any mention of though is Jucha. I don't know if there are any issues there or not, but I'd really love to see it come back. If I can't have Danzig, then Jucha will have to do!

Upvote 0
Me and Stanislav joined a German 3.3 server last night and played all the old maps with 12 or so other people (dunno why they didnt make use of the free trial).

Anyway it was wicked fun untill Stan kept getting randomly kicked. That aside you cant go back to the mod once you have played ostfront, its so much far ahead.

But still worth a revsit for good old times :)

Upvote 0
The majority of the mod players have either tried Roost and for reasons know only to them, preferred the mod, or are running macos/linux and can't/won't run the emulation software required to run Steam. Oh, there's a few Steam haters too who would rather stick to their guns about not running Steam than supporting TW and getting Roost.

Upvote 0
What is it with mod vets and hating tanks, for that matter old mod maps honestly i,ve played koitos 1944 the ported version, i've played warsaw, i've played ambush and i dont see what the big deal is with those maps warsaw is ok nothing special, ambush just too small turns into a snipe match, koitos looks very average and uniform and the gameplay of all those ported mod maps from the times i,ve played them is nothing compared to that of the newer maps take the new roadtohill great map take lazur another great map looks great too, and my new personal fav kuzernki beta awesome map that requires and encourages alot of teamwork and tactics. Imo the newer maps are much more tactical and realistic then those ports of older maps i've played.:confused:

Upvote 0
Ron said:
What is it with mod vets and hating tanks, for that matter old mod maps honestly i,ve played koitos 1944 the ported version, i've played warsaw, i've played ambush and i dont see what the big deal is with those maps warsaw is ok nothing special, ambush just too small turns into a snipe match, koitos looks very average and uniform and the gameplay of all those ported mod maps from the times i,ve played them is nothing compared to that of the newer maps take the new roadtohill great map take lazur another great map looks great too, and my new personal fav kuzernki beta awesome map that requires and encourages alot of teamwork and tactics. Imo the newer maps are much more tactical and realistic then those ports of older maps i've played.:confused:

probably cause the worst maps have been ported and that even bad

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN said:
It's unfortunate but true. I also (along with many mod vets) miss the old maps, but it's very unlikely that most will ever see the light of Ost. :(

One that I haven't heard any mention of though is Jucha. I don't know if there are any issues there or not, but I'd really love to see it come back. If I can't have Danzig, then Jucha will have to do!

I think the issue with Jucha was it was made of static meshes and they didn't really work.
I'm sure everyone recalls all the bugs on Jucha with buildings and stuff.
I think reworking was not really an option :(

Upvote 0
fiftyone said:
Out with the old, in with the new, thats what I say !!!

That's fine, but part of the issue is some people don't feel the new has replaced the old in terms of gameplay. Konigsplatz is hardly a replacement for Berlin, because they are totally different. Infantry vs Combined Arms, fairly open vs city streets etc.

Sure, it has the same setting, but apart from that they are unrelated.

Upvote 0