• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Converted trial player

omi

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 2, 2006
proof the trial works.

after 1 1/2 hr of gameplay, I was sold!

I had been meaning to play the game ages ago when it was a mod for UT but never got round to it.

I really like the change of pace and a very good balance with realism. A much more team focused gameplay, better communication (need to find my mic). Much more tactical, I like the blurring effect that does help simulate suppressive fire and the grenades are ace as well.

Only thing i didnt like was perhaps there wasnt enough sound? background kinda noise. either that my settings were off. I havent tweaked it properly yet.

The only real issue I had was the "muppets" who are also on the trial (sorry if that sounds harsh). I actually speed read the manual and pretty much picked up the gist of the game quickly. On one or two servers where it was possible to actually get some teamplay going, alot of others was hopeless with people firing aimlessly, running over/shooting teammates, ignoring objectives, constantly asking for what key does what and so forth. A lot of childish arguements, I couldnt find the mute speaker/talk option and had to hop servers when it happens.

Question - is the game generally like that or is the crowd much more mature?

RO pretty much looks like the kinda FPS I had been wanting to play, with more strategy and team play rather than personal skills.

I even enjoy driving the tank more than cmdr position, i like the challenge of setting shots and evading. its ace if the cmdr listen/speaks to you...

I have tried other mods like firearms and DOD in the past which has some similarities but failed in parts where I see RO may possibly have fixed.

still loads to get the hang off, still confused slightly by the obj screen, alot of symbols (i get the main ones but looks cluttered to me). havent tried more complex stuff like rally pts, artillery, LMG fire support, resupplying. might test these out when i have time, but rather annoyed about the "muppets".

oh yeah biggest change so far, no radar ala CS style :p took a little getting use to when trying to find support/team members.

take a game with a small community that knows how to play it and that plays it regularly then add 5 times as much people to that that got no idea whatsoever that is what you have here. For now just find a server with alot of clan members on it that try to help new players and shape the game. ^^ It will be more mature but 99% of the time if you start using your mic in a good way other people will follow if someone abuses the mic try to find another server if the admin is not present just a small bug that isn't really an issue in the normal playing time.

Upvote 0
Things should be better once the trial week is over. Maybe once a week or so I'll run into a tk who cooks a nade when everyone spawns, but he's usually kicked almost immediately. Also, if you enjoy tanking with others, put [TT] at the end of your name, or at least at the end of the trial week. Most of the regular players will recognize it as a sign that you enjoy tanking with others instead of solo.

Upvote 0
If you want less "muppets" and a solid teamwork and objective oriented play without the responsibility of being in a clan, join Iron Crescendo.

http://www.ironcrescendo.net/*

Once the trial is over things will get back to normal though. The greatest thing about ROOST is the community, welcome aboard.

I'll see you on the Ostfront. [13G/39]BobCobb

*Sorry about blatant self-advertisement, but we need more meat for the grinder.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm sure you understand that there are many new people trying this out for the first time today, so you are not seeing only the base community as it were.

Sure, we have 'cuckoo' community members here and there, but for the most part its very chill, we're really into the game (for some members thats the understatement of the year), we're helpful granted it isnt something you couldnt have figured out on your own with about 5 minutes of effort, the devs listen (which is great), and on those evenings when its all coming together nicely and everyone on the server is intuitively working together, almost naturally, there is good mic work happening.... it doesnt get any better, imo. :cool:

Glad to hear you like it, stay awhile and feel the finer points of the RO dancefloor... Prepare to be hooked.

Upvote 0
No worries mate, the RO community is usually one of the most mature around, this is just normal newbie influx, the people who wants to stay with the game will settle in eventually.

The RO community in general is very freindly, but also very serious about their game, people usually learn this pretty fast, and find the flow of the community.

Upvote 0
Comrade Wasabi said:
It makes me happy that ApplePie has 446 hours of CS:S time logged but is still hooked on RO. :)

lmao i got confused for a while since I played alot of CS as well and have a nickname of applepie as well. was wondering how you got that info till I saw applepie's post.

sharpshooterklj - sorry muppet is english slang for a idiot

thanks guys, cheers for the tip e.g TT tag

the other Question I had was, how full/busy are the servers in general?

I have heard rumours that the servers are sometimes rather empty. I would guess that this probably wont be a problem shortly (if it was) based on the positive feedback on the game.

Upvote 0
Omi: Finding a full server hasn't been a problem. If you're a euro, I can recommend you jump in on the DBDUK server (deathmessages are off, blackscreen mod, modified score table so you don't see what classes the other team uses, a big load of custom maps). The FK servers are usually quite nice, they have a good crowd on specialized servers. Splat, core, the wild bunch and DonD also come to mind.

Upvote 0
omi said:
lmao i got confused for a while since I played alot of CS as well and have a nickname of applepie as well. was wondering how you got that info till I saw applepie's post.

sharpshooterklj - sorry muppet is english slang for a idiot

I have heard rumours that the servers are sometimes rather empty. I would guess that this probably wont be a problem shortly (if it was) based on the positive feedback on the game.

In the evenings generally it was fine before the trial started but morning time would be a bit empty people have lifes too i suppose:), but who knows with the trial we might see an increase 200+ players would be a success in my books.

Upvote 0
omi said:

Better read the sticky post up top titled "how to find cooperative tankers more easilly", thats where the TT thing started, and outlines what wearing the TT tag is all about.

Im a TT'er too ;)

omi said:

Yes and no.. yes as in, coming from CS you will find much fewer players and servers with RO, we're just notas big a community.

No as in its not a problem, i've never had any trouble finding a populated server, outside peak houers there might not be so many of them, but they are there, with people playing.

Upvote 0