• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenade Discussion (Merged About 3000 Times)

I'm not sure I understand this train of thought. I have yet to see a problem with the number of grenades. Please explain exactly WHY people using grenades now is a problem? If it's merely because you were killed by someone tossing them, I don't see how it's an issue. They are fairly easy to avoid and it's fairly simple to learn where the spam spots are. As for the number or the effects of them, I find them to be completely realistic. They were cheap and easy to produce and they were issued in very large numbers. I don't see where you have two feet to stand on with this arguement.

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
I'm not sure I understand this train of thought. I have yet to see a problem with the number of grenades. Please explain exactly WHY people using grenades now is a problem? If it's merely because you were killed by someone tossing them, I don't see how it's an issue. They are fairly easy to avoid and it's fairly simple to learn where the spam spots are. As for the number or the effects of them, I find them to be completely realistic. They were cheap and easy to produce and they were issued in very large numbers. I don't see where you have two feet to stand on with this arguement.
The problem is not with nades, but people who throw them like they were stones. Like in Kaukasus, Russians throw their nades from walls and just hope that they hit something, not actually knowing if they went even close. So when there is million nades in one map, players tend to use them outright. When they spawn, they throw them into places they think that E is coming to. I'm saying that when the value of life is so low in this game(you spawn million times), you can spend your nades, cuz you can always respawn and get some more. If we would have only 1 nade, and expecation to live 20minutes, would we throw our only nade in the beginning, or would we save it for the time we actually could need it. And not to mention that usually the whole team throw their nades into the same place. Usually it would have gone this way: one or two nades into room, others wait and then rush. Now it's like this: 20 nades into one room and everyone rushes. This usually ends with few FF incidents and maybe even a kick from server cuz no-one really cared were there enemies in that room.

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:

I agree, I haven't seen this problem yet.

Upvote 0
SOAD said:
i would like to see people running out of ammo more often, and then no resupply areas so they are forced to hide, melee and scavange. IMO there should be more people just hiding rather then everyone shooting and attacking each other, because i think it would be more realistic

I like this idea so everyone has to make sure his shots count :)

Upvote 0
I agree with MadMax. Longer weapon switch times are badly needed. Make it take like 3 or more seconds or so to sling your rifle on your back and grab a grenade from your belt. I think that would help a lot, and it's a must have in a realistic game imo. Operation Flashpoint did it pretty well.

I've never been sure about the ammo resupply points. On one hand it feels good to receive some ammo, but on the other hand it's fun to scavange for weapons when you run out. It doesn't always has to be made so easy for players. In fact, I'm all for making RO a bit more difficult. :)

Upvote 0
Quietus said:
My proposition to reduce percieved problematic nadespam would be this: Tankers, Snipers, MG'rs and possibly Commanders get no nades, that's right zero. If you're a Tanker,Sniper,MG'r and you're resorting to using nades you've failed at your role. It would help focus players roles knowing that they better concentrate on Sniping, MG'ing etc rather than pulling a nade and joining the assault soldiers fray. Give SMG'rs 2 (or even 3 nades) Sappers I guess could get zero too since their job is to sap not assault. Bolt & semi Rifles could each get 1 nade.

sounds pretty good, though sometimes bolts are required to assault as well, IMO, doesnt it say so in the description too? "expected to close in with rifle fire, grenades and bayonet" or something like that

Upvote 0
turbografx16 said:
This is true, but it was never an official rank in the Wehrmacht, only in the Waffen-SS.

Pro hint: the classes portrayed in game do not have any connection to any possible ranks. Sorry. I don't know why you thought 'stosstruppe' or 'scharfschutze' was a military rank.

Yeah, smoke grenades should probably be more harshly limited period (but that's another topic).

Upvote 0
I only see the wasting of grenades, whilst shooting somone, they normally go two ways, 1: return fire 2: throw grenades. Either way I usally kill them, and if need be i haul ass the other way then shoot them. I hardly ever use grenades unless i SEE more than one enemy inside a building or a Mger that i happen to be near, or a cluster of enemy soldiers. and i still usally rank within the top 5 at the end.

Remeber all the ammo in your rifle can get you 100+ kills, while the grenades may only give you a few. longer switch times would be good.

Upvote 0
k98Lemur said:
Granted nades were used in war, the way RO incorporates them into the game subtracts GREATLY from realistic gameplay. THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY! I've been complaining about this for 3 years, and many players agree with me. When you die and respawn your nades replenish, and this leads to an unrealistic amount of grenades raining down on every map, every second.

Please, for the love of God, make a limit system on grenades, just like "reinforcements" run out... make grenades run out.

I don't know if this is even possible, but please think about it. A lot of us who have been playing since the beginning of this masterpiece of a game are sick and tired of 100 grenade explosions and 20 smoke grenades ruining our firefights. It's just BS... in a 15min section of a battle, how many grenades were thrown. I guarentee you it is no where near the amount of nade spam we have been dealing with for 3 years.

Since you've been 'talking' about it for 3 years and since you seem to be convinced MANY agree with you, I suggest you pick up learning how to write mutators for the next 3 years or find someone in your 'camp' to make it for you and make sure servers are running it.
The team does not agree with your point of view. So pick up where we 'fail' and improve it yourself, thats the whole reason the game is moddable.

Upvote 0
SiC-Disaster said:
sounds pretty good, though sometimes bolts are required to assault as well, IMO, doesnt it say so in the description too? "expected to close in with rifle fire, grenades and bayonet" or something like that
OK, so a revised plan would be: Tankers, TankCommanders, Snipers, MG'r, and Sappers get zero. SMG, Rifles, get 2. Commanders get maybe 2 (one normal & one smoke). Sounds good to me.

Upvote 0