• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

There seems to be a few musicians here..... vol. 2

I'm not that into metal so I can't say much 'bout your stuff revolution. Sounds like you're a competent guitar player though. Not playing in any band?

I'm doing my thesis work right now, so I'm away from my regular music computer. But I managed to install ableton live on the work laptop, so here comes a soft little test track ;-)

Softig liveelectro

Upvote 0
Haha, no adlib unfortunately. All drums in that track are from the excellent (and free) virtual analog VST drummachine drumatic. It can do some really old-school drums :).

You really got the vocals down to an art there xancer :). But you really could make do with a bass players, sounds pretty empty in the lower registers at times. Also something I've always wondered about in the "doublekick" music, why are the kicks always mixed so extremely low with almost no ambience? I'd like to hear a track of this kind where the kicks are rumbling and have some body to them.

Upvote 0
yeah, we dont have any bass just yet, still waiting for him to lay the tracks..

the thing is if you add reverb to the kickdrum kicking that fast it will just sound like a continous sinus tone D:!.. i guess its also a matter of what one has to work with, kickdrums are easily the hardest thing to get to sound fat, unless you trig it.

Upvote 0
Hehe, nice vid there xancer. Gig at university? :)

As for the double kick sound, I was not talking about adding reverb to them, that would just blur things to hell ;-) But just loosen up on the release on the compressor a bit (I guess you compress or gate to shorten the sound)? but hell, wouldn't it work to split the dublekick signal to two channels, letting one have a fast compressor and the other one have ambience (mic up the room and lowpass it?) sidechained by the kick?

edit: I might aswell put up a newer song too :)
http://newmodernangels.com/inyi/Inyi - The increase is the decrease of the whole.mp3
Just a warning, this one is slow and suggestive, so don't go expecting something to dance to. I'm told it sounds a bit like Atom Heart, an artist I don't know about myself unfortunately. Trying to pitch a few pieces I've made to some record companies now, so wish me luck :)

Upvote 0
thanks!

as for the bassdrum sound, ambience is usually recorded and mixed into the drumkit, i have never micked a dedicated ambience on the bassdrum though, might be possible with a supercardioid or something..
its usually sought to be very clean, low bass plus a distinct click from the bassdrum skin, but im going to test adding lowpassed ambience to it and see how it feels!

good luck on the deals, hope you get hooked up! you have some really interesting ideas. im not familiar at all with electronic "abstract" music (if im allowed to call it abstract) but this is good stuff.

Upvote 0
I think the key would be to use a compressor with sidechain to let the ambience pump in time with the doublekicks. Might not work though, but it'd be in interesting test :) Let me know how it goes if you try it, mmmkay?

And yeah, you can call my little tunes abstract :) I have a hard time actually finding any labels that release similar music to send demos to though :-/ At least I got some nice cover graphic today, so I can start sending CD-Rs.

Upvote 0
Hillbilly ...or something

Hillbilly ...or something

Ok here's a new one but still the same old style.

But this one is far from finished. It's waiting for vocal harmonies, piano, fiddle and the drums are just on the experimental level. It's the first time I play the drums myself hehe.

Enjoy

http://web.telia.com/~u23104552/My%20Mountain%20Moonshine%20Mama.mp3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Showing some promise there latent_c, but you really need to cut down on the reverb :) Listened to the ones you had on garageband, myspace just wouldn't play anything :-/ Pheromone groove was nice, cool bassline in it. The drums was the lowpoint of it, less reverb and more groovy drums would've been nice. A bit boring sound choice for the drums too. Keep going, I'll be sure to listen to how you progress :)

I put together a small five track EP a few days ago, just for fun. You can download it here: http://www.gavle.to/~arete/Y-feeder-Yousicksoundlover.zip
It's something of a blend between idm and noise.

Upvote 0