• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German Auto-Rifle Accuracy

I think it comes down to the manner in which people use these weapons, as others have said.

IMO once you fire a semi-auto and miss (here come the "I never miss" comments), you get the feeling that you've drawn attention to yourself (perhaps subconsciously) and so you speed up your shots in order to bring down your target as quickly as possible. This could create the feeling of the semi-autos being less accurate. Frustration can also kick in, causing you to fire more shots even when the percentage chance of a hit decreases.

I tend to use bolt action rifles more, just out of habit I suppose.

Another nasty habit, however, occurs when I occasionally use the semi-autos. I line up a shot and fire off a round, but then that habit kicks in and I hit the fire button again. Instead of working the bolt, the bloody rifle booms again, and I sometimes scare the living daylights out of myself! :eek:

The Wehrmacht trained its troops to use the StG'44 mostly in single shot mode, switching to full auto for close range fighting. I find this to be the best way to play this particular rifle, and will only use a burst if I see two enemies overlapping each other, or if an enemy is sprinting laterally and changing elevation rapidly. Also, sometimes I use a burst out of laziness...but the magazine capacity is such that I have yet to run out (perhaps I don't survive long enough!) :mad:

Upvote 0
I don't have a problem with either of a semis, and the STG is just a beast in single-shot! Honestly, I think it all comes down to learning the slight differences in the guns. If you think of it as a semi-automatic rifle, try thinking of it as a bolt action that you can spray with in close quarters, if that makes any sense. Don't worry about the next round, just take your time with the current round and line yourself up cautiously like you would with the bolt actions. If you find yourself suddenly in close quarters, then start going for the 'bad guy is that way, point and click!' approach. The really good semi users are the ones who use them like a bolt action 80% of the time.

Upvote 0
Tak said:
I don't have a problem with either of a semis, and the STG is just a beast in single-shot! Honestly, I think it all comes down to learning the slight differences in the guns. If you think of it as a semi-automatic rifle, try thinking of it as a bolt action that you can spray with in close quarters, if that makes any sense. Don't worry about the next round, just take your time with the current round and line yourself up cautiously like you would with the bolt actions. If you find yourself suddenly in close quarters, then start going for the 'bad guy is that way, point and click!' approach. The really good semi users are the ones who use them like a bolt action 80% of the time.​

See, that's the thing. A lot of times I find that I've lined up the shot, aimed it patiently, fire, and the thing still misses. Not entierly sure why, but it may be the different sight pictures the semis offer. Same with the STG but I consider that more of a close quarters weapon anyway. I also find they kick a bit more for some reason, which may be the problem for me. Actually, shouldn't they be kicking LESS considering they siphon gas off to work the bolt? Maybe it's just my perception.

Upvote 0
monster said:
Is the accuracy lacking on this weapon?

It doesn't seem to have the same aiming paradigm as the KAR98.

Anyone else notice this, or am I trippin'?
Some people work better with some weapons.
I am fine with the MN98 but hate the Kar. They're both rifles, but I can hardly do anything with the Kar.

It's just (no offense) YOU'RE accuracy may be lacking with the weapons (which doesn't mean you suck, just that's not your weapon - same as I don't do the Kar, SVT40 OR G43).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the accuracy is fine except at pixel-hunting range, however the front sight on the SVT40 is incredibly tiny and often the same color as the background. Kind of wish I had a custom skin but that'd be an unfair advantage and thus kind of a crappy thing to do.

What your problem could be is that the semi-autos seem slightly less likely to be one hit kills. For example, a shot to the shoulder or arm which with a bolter will often reach the chest and be a one hit kill will sometimes just be a wound with the semi. If you don't notice the wound, you'll probably think you just missed.

Also agreeing with the previous poster on auto-riflers tendency to fire too quickly after missing. Take your time, the guy you're shooting is probably too busy crapping himself at the near miss to effectively return fire. Taking an extra second or two and getting the kill is a lot better than emptying your entire mag into the air in half the time.

Upvote 0