• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sorry for new thread, but penetration idea!

SOAD

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2006
I made a new thread for this because if i put it in another penetration thread i know not many people would read it, sorry for all those who like to say USE THE SEARCH BUTTON.

anyway my idea, why not make objects that should be penetrattionable eg. wooden fence have small gaps in it, but the gaps are covered with the same texture. In this way it would look like a solid object, but some bullets would be able to go through, giving the impression of penertration.

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ropenetrationqu3.jpg
ropenetrationqu3.jpg

Now it would be better if each object had random holes so you couldnt just learn where will penertrate and where wont, but i think it should be possible.

Thoughts?

you cant apply a texture where no object is.
You would have to set a very thin static or a BSP with no collissions in front of the object with the gaps.

Another problem is the amount of additional triangles that would cause and the (most certain) hit on performance.
A cube: 6 sides : 12 tris
A cube with a hole: 32 tris (i probably made a mistake in the calculation somewhere ;) )

Plus the sheet that has to be put in front of it: 2 tris at best.

Makes 22triangles more just for 1 whole in the wall.

Upvote 0
worluk said:
you cant apply a texture where no object is.
You would have to set a very thin static or a BSP with no collissions in front of the object with the gaps.

Another problem is the amount of additional triangles that would cause and the (most certain) hit on performance.
A cube: 6 sides : 12 tris
A cube with a hole: 32 tris (i probably made a mistake in the calculation somewhere ;) )

Plus the sheet that has to be put in front of it: 2 tris at best.

Makes 22triangles more just for 1 whole in the wall.

Ups.... Well, hehe, coding is not my cup of tea.

Upvote 0
I guess the best way to treat simplistic Penetration would be a simple Yes/No
Check to see if a Bullet can penetrate, as someone else did already post (if it is codeable), with a Flag setting, which changes when the Bullet has penetrated once, and with the FLag active it can no longer penetrate....

Though if that is codeable is beyond my simlple Grasp of Coding.

Upvote 0
Neat idea as to how to render it, but it still doesn't solve the problem we have with penetration within RO itself.

The problem is that the bullets fired from all the weapons in the game are considered to be objects with physical properties attached to them.

If you fire a bullet at a piece of wood in the game, the server must do a physics calculation for the bullet flying through the air, a calculation for impacting on the wood, and a calculation for whether or not it passes through. This is just for one bullet, so imagine a slew of them (cough ppsh cough) and then imagine the server trying to keep up with all those individual penetrations.

It'd be much easier to do penetration with hitscan bullets, and personally i think the machineguns in this game SHOULD be hitscan.

Upvote 0