• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Team Fortress 2!

Phoenix-D said:
Every console FPS I've played relies HEAVILY on auto-aim. If that's not dumbed down I'm sorry I have no idea what is. :)

A better example is Deus Ex 2. They chopped down the size of the levels, removed the different ammo types, etc. Or Oblivions nasty interface.

And almost every console FPS I've played has the ability to turn auto-aim off.

The ONLY reason it is there is because it is SO much easier to aim with a mouse than a joysick or control pad.

I think everyone just needs to stop being a video game snob for 3 seconds and realize that it doesn't have to be an authentic WW1 French trench warfare experience to make a good, fun game. We don't need to beat console players with sticks just because they prefer a certain way to game. Heck, I barely play consoles anymore because there are far and few games I like that come out on them (It seems it's just mass sports games and racing games to me) and they just aren't worth the money, but I don't go spit on the ground that console players walk on and deem it unholy ground.

Upvote 0
Lionel-RIchie said:
but I don't go spit on the ground that console players walk on and deem it unholy ground.

I dont hate the consoles themselves, or the players that play them, I hate Console ports , games that should have been made for PC, but instead end up as console games and then get ported back to PC, where it sucks ass. Halo being one example, and thats one of the best console ports, another example is Call of duty 2, again not a bad game, but with a focus on the PC, could have been alot better.

I fully understand the reasons for it though, the console market is HUGE , and anyone who doesnt tap into it when given the chance is .. well.. stupid.

Valve has yet to screw up on a game, everything they've put out so far has been not only good, but a couple of nothces above everyone elses stuff. Hopefully they'll develop the PC games as they usually do, and have another team or another studio port it to/develop it for all the consoles.

Upvote 0
Lionel-RIchie said:
And almost every console FPS I've played has the ability to turn auto-aim off.

The ONLY reason it is there is because it is SO much easier to aim with a mouse than a joysick or control pad.

I think everyone just needs to stop being a video game snob for 3 seconds and realize that it doesn't have to be an authentic WW1 French trench warfare experience to make a good, fun game. We don't need to beat console players with sticks just because they prefer a certain way to game. Heck, I barely play consoles anymore because there are far and few games I like that come out on them (It seems it's just mass sports games and racing games to me) and they just aren't worth the money, but I don't go spit on the ground that console players walk on and deem it unholy ground.
That

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Eh, I came off a bit harsh there. My main pet peeve can be expresed like so:

Devs design for the limited console interface and hardware, then DON'T make the needed changes to accomdate for PCs. Reducing level size to account for limited RAM, save-points (though this is thankfully going away), auto-aim, mashed-up interfaces, lack of configuration options, etc.

I imagine straight PC ports fair just as badly. :)

Since I can't afford to play console, I don't much, so whatever game devs do there doesn't affect me.

(before anyone raises a ****-storm, the games I'd want are spread over multiple consoles and I don't own a decent TV. 3 consoles + good TV + good speakers and you're getting waaay over my budget)

Upvote 0
BicycleRepairMan said:
I dont hate the consoles themselves, or the players that play them, I hate Console ports , games that should have been made for PC, but instead end up as console games and then get ported back to PC, where it sucks ass. Halo being one example, and thats one of the best console ports, another example is Call of duty 2, again not a bad game, but with a focus on the PC, could have been alot better.

Thats exactly it.

I have yet to see a good port from console, many of them are downright horrible! and most of them are disapointing.

Every time i've found myself playing such a port, i have allways felt let down, thinking "this could have been so much better had it just been developed for PC first!", its everything, from graphics, to controls, options, configurabillity, even the bloody menu's, its just not on par with what we expect from a PC game, and its so frustrating! some of thease games could have been so good, but then fall so much short of their potential because they are just a crappy port.

Its even worse when its a sequal to a game you love that gets this treatment, just horrible, thease ports are the bane of my gaming existance!

I honestly lament the days when console games where console games, and PC games where PC games, this interbreeding has done nothing good for PC gameing.

Hence the animosity from PC gamers twords consoles, as more and more of the upcoming titles that we would otherwise look forward to, end up becoming thease horrendous console ports..

Upvote 0
Having played TFC for a couple years straight back when i was 14, I am a little disappointed with TF2. I remember old screenshots showing it would be a lot more serious looking and not so gamey. It's just not what I thought the final product would look like.

I was really looking forward to this:
tf4_screen001.jpg

NOT THIS:
437678_20060714_screen001.jpg

Upvote 0
Murphy said:
The old TF2 concept looks like 98368276538 other shooters. The only thing that would differentiate it from the crowd would be its gameplay, and I think that it will be intact in the upcoming TF2, so what?
Agreed. With games like BF2 and such, there really was no reason for TF2 to be like it was a few years ago. There are enough tactical/semi-realistic shooters on the market, why flood it more with a game that only serious fans would buy?

Upvote 0
El Cid said:
No one is forcing you to buy it. There are 10 billion other games just like the previous team fortress plan. Realistic looking guys, tactics, no crosshairs etc.
IF that's what you want grab one of those other games of which tons exist. This is new, I like the gfx, its different, itll be fun.
I wanted the ORIGINAL Team Fortress, I bet you don't even have the slightest idea of what it was.

It was not realistic, it was as unrealistic as it could possibly be, but it didn't look like a freaking kids movie.

There are 0 games like original TF out there. There's mods, which is good, but no games.

Anyway, it's so obvious they were going to come out with a piece of crap, I never had any hope. The militaristic looking TF looked good back in nineteen-ninety-nine because it was absolutely revolutionary. Not so much now.

A game that looks like a cartoon is anything but revolutionary, plus they aren't going to implement anything new. It'll just be a port of TF for kids.

Upvote 0