• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design DarkJuly vs Orel

dp76764 said:
Anyone else played the Dark July map yet?

I found it much more satisfying than Orel as a tank fix.
It still has the size and wide open spaces for good tanking, but lacks the choke points of Orel. Plus there's trees to hide in!

Just 1 man's opinion though ...

both are very good tank maps. us tankers are lucky we have a coulple of good customs already! :)

Upvote 0
I find it too much like arad. Get out of spawn, move a little, engage enemy, kill/die, respawn, get out of spawn, move a little, engage enemy, kill/die, respawn, etc...The only difference is that battles have greater range.

It lacks the tactical aspect of Orel where you have to hunt enemy tanks and try to be at the right place at the right moment. The "North", "South" ,"east" and "west" objective are a bit boring.

Graphically, It's mostly ok, but the short "vineyard" trees that appear all over the maps are ugly. They are too bright and fuzzy.

There is also a weird graphic/engine issue that makes hills that are far away appear like blue blob behind those that are visible, it looks terrible.

Upvote 0
Wow, you must have had a bad round there ...
I didn't experience anything like the kill/die, spawn, repeat scenario of Arad.

Initially we moved forward and took the south field. Then we took up a position there and fought off the Russian counter-attack. Once that was halted, it was on to one of the flanks. The flanks switched hands several times and eventually the time ran out.

Sure it doesn't look 100% professional, but it's an enthusiast map! I even enjoyed 'sneaking' through the small trees with a tank. At one point a Russian tank drove right by us, not 20m away but was unable to see us.

For me, it beats driving around for 5 minutes before finding someone on Orel.

Upvote 0
fun!

fun!

Well, I know my posts tend to towards ephusive drivel and all, but I played blackjuly first time last night and it was the most fun I've had on a tank map for a while. It seems like this is a map where having a good driver and good gunner would rule.

I thought the little short plants in the vineyard looked like pot plants.

So, now if only I could find another tanker that would do in-vehicle voice with me...

Upvote 0
I enjoy them both, DarkJuly is quicker to engage however, which I like. It also just has tankers with pistols, as opposed to Orels special forces uber sapper tankers... I didn't realize there were armoured Pioneer divisions, no wonder tanks brew up so easy, they're loaded with the crews satchel charges :D

Upvote 0
the good thing about Blackday is that there's no damn 'clown' cars that'll just magically appear behind you and the ****er destroys you with a satchel while you're engaged in a slugfest with enemy tanks that commonly happens on Arad. the problem with Orel is the fact that you'll drive forever to get anywhere. then after you finally see the enemy and a few exchange of fire you might end up being destroyed then you have to respawn then drive forever to just do it all over again. Blackday isn't as crappy and annoying as Arad but not the tanker's dream like Orel is.

Upvote 0
Mobius One said:
Well, most of the gripes about Orel is it's size. Same with Arad. I like BlackDay because it's a nice balance between the two, but the map is heavily stacked towards Russians, at least in my experiences.

I did pretty well with the Axis the first time my group played it.
We got the south point and both flanks and were about to work on the last point before time ran out ...

Definitely like the 'medium' size nature of this map!

Upvote 0
A lot of good pros & cons here. I do like the range on Orel better though I have fired rounds @ 1000m in Black July. As is the same with not having to drive as far. However as stated earlier your smack dab in the action.

Over all, Black July for me and only by a richochet just because I like fartin around in the trees !:D

Upvote 0
I like July better than Orel.

Orel needs teamwork and people don't use it. Thusly, I end up defending an objective in an SU-76 dueling a Tiger because none of the other assholes on my team will come help me. I play chicken with the Tiger for 10 minutes until he finally kills me. Then I spend another 10 minutes driving back to the battlefield, this time to get pegged in the ass by an IS-2 across the map and then hear "lol sry 1st time playin tanks im a newb u looked like a german."

Upvote 0