• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Black Day in July - First Release

I think this map is coming along fine. I like the rolling terrain.

I didn't have a problem yesterday with teaming up with other tankers on the German side. Adding tanks just for that reason alone is probably unnecessary. I think the tank selection is very good, I like how you can get to use the PzIII with the APCR ammo, you can get some great kills if you can manuever into position.

I didn't have a problem with the deco tanks, but saw lots of others shooting at them...Maybe they should use their binoculars?

Are you going to add some buildings/villages where they are located on the overhead map?

Keep up the great work! :)

Upvote 0
Team Tanking is the key... if there are not enough tanks to accomodate the numbers of expected players... the map will suffer.

Kursk, if one recalls, had a huge number of tanks on BOTH sides and extensive artillery. The infantry combat in the trenches along with many MG posts was epic.

All I ask is that we not lose grasp of the enormity of this battle.

Upvote 0
Mike_Nomad said:
Team Tanking is the key... if there are not enough tanks to accomodate the numbers of expected players... the map will suffer.

Kursk, if one recalls, had a huge number of tanks on BOTH sides and extensive artillery. The infantry combat in the trenches along with many MG posts was epic.

All I ask is that we not lose grasp of the enormity of this battle.

This level is set around the Battle of Prokhorovka which was the largest tank engagement in human history so I think it would go against the theme to add any kind of infantry. Though I tried to simulate some antitank guns (with the radios)

Upvote 0
lol well, We have almost all of the currently available customs on the server selectable by map vote. It's a good place to check em out. A couple I took out of the current list (still on the server though) and they were basically deemed not quite up to par with the bulk of the new maps.

I think I have like 46 active maps on the server at this time :)

Upvote 0
Some more suggestions to improve this wonderful Map :)

- I'd reduce the Vehicle Factories and allow for multiple Spawns of the Same vehicle for each Factory, thus you save on actors and reduce the load for the Server.

- After the above make the Spawns more compact, this Way people don't spawn all over the Spawn and have to find themselves for Team Tanking.

- And last :), the First German Spawn is a tad to close to the first Objective, the Russians have no chance to reach the Capzone before the Germans finish the Cap, i suggest moving the First German Spawn a bit away from the First Capzone

Otherwise:
This Map filled the Jagdkommando Server again up to 32, and everyone seemed to like it. All comments were positive ! Gogogo ! :)

Upvote 0
I could never get the multiple tanks per factory to work. even though there is no reason it shouldn't.

I've also noticed the map is turned into an axis rapefest now that many of the allied tankers have learned the lay of the land.

I'm going to completely readjust the objectives so that the rear axis spawn is actually used for more than 5 minutes. I spent about 2 hours observing matches on it and I've noticed the allied tanks are very much superior and the artillery is nearly useless. I'm also going to change the loadout for less p3s and more p4s because while the p3 just have the armour for the ranges we are playing at and the gun doesn't pack enough punch to take out a t34 before they are swarmed.

Also the allied tanks seem to swarm alot, which makes it difficult for the axis to take both objectives as they aimlessly jog between both of them trying to hold both of them.

I plan to have a new version out tomorrow with a new objectives.

Upvote 0
Moz said:
I could never get the multiple tanks per factory to work. even though there is no reason it shouldn't.

I've also noticed the map is turned into an axis rapefest now that many of the allied tankers have learned the lay of the land.

I'm going to completely readjust the objectives so that the rear axis spawn is actually used for more than 5 minutes. I spent about 2 hours observing matches on it and I've noticed the allied tanks are very much superior and the artillery is nearly useless. I'm also going to change the loadout for less p3s and more p4s because while the p3 just have the armour for the ranges we are playing at and the gun doesn't pack enough punch to take out a t34 before they are swarmed.

Also the allied tanks seem to swarm alot, which makes it difficult for the axis to take both objectives as they aimlessly jog between both of them trying to hold both of them.

I plan to have a new version out tomorrow with a new objectives.

I quoted it all because you seem to have most everything we saw today in account. The PIII's are fine my friend but perhaps you are right there might be too many of those. Please don't forget the Tigers... :)

We had a great time today though. It's a great map that'll only become greater. ;)

Upvote 0
This version of the map I played was fantastic. In the version I played there was only 1 tiger tank, I would like to see 2 tiger tanks (if it is accurate to the battle). Also don't take away too many pz3's. A couple more pz4 would be good though. Axis tanks should outnumber the the allied tanks by a couple tanks too since axis tanks are inferior in this game or it feels that way sometimes.

When you make changes make small adjustments, I find that too many mappers make huge changes to their maps which end up to be too much of a change and it ruins the map because it changes the balance too much.

Upvote 0
Glad to see another large tank map like orel, i hope it won't be the last one.

Here my suggestion for this map. This is the map you used and where i am talking about:
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/avenue/vy75/j12.htm

From what i know of that battle, was that it was more a large attack from the russian which suprised the german when they just wanted to start there attack. The main battle area was hill 252.2, near the large farm. Also most part right of the road/railway, was considered not suitable for crossing over with tanks. a nice screenshot of that can be seen here, http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/avenue/vy75/pictures/pic23.jpg
There were russian attacks from yamki to hill 252.2, so that was probaly not a problem for the tanks to cross the railway there. Also at the lower part of hill 252,2, the south side. there was a anti-tank ditch, with not many crossable points

What i want to suggest is the following.
Make it primary a russian attack where there main objective is capture hill 252.2. Germans start behind hill 252.2, which also was there real starting point where they should attack the pokhotovka town. Perhaps give the germans a limited amount of spawnable tanks behind hill 252.2. This way one way or another they will loose hill 252.2. When that happens, the spawn at hill 241.6 and have to counter attack. The next objective of the russians could either be continue the attack or defend hill 252.2. In this part the anti-tank ditch will probaly play an important role. And the forest was not used by tanks. The side which holds hill 252.2 wins.

So at first you will see a head on tank battle for hill 252,2. The russians will swarm the germans, eventually capturing hill 252.2. The germans will have to counter attack from hill 241.6. You could make it interesting by giving the germans a low number of tigers, at first give them 2 tigers at hill 252.2. When they are dead only one tigers per time spawns at hill 241.6. This will giver the germans the feeling that there tanks are imortant to keep alive. The germans will probaly still be a bit week, but perhaps not as the battle is a bit more channeled... If needed you could leave the russian spawn a bit backward.

For the loadout i can give you the real numbers.
Germans:
Tiger : 3
Pz 4: 32
Pz 3 : 12
Stug 3 : 20
no panthers

For the russians, Many t34, some t70 and su-76.

Flanking can still be done ofcourse, at first hill 252.2 can be flanked from yamki or from the river area. After that when the germans have to counter attack, flanking can only be done from the river side.

I hope it is a bit clear what i am trying to tell. Perhaps it is usedfull perhaps not. Just wanted to give you my view of the battle... Oh and the map on the kursk site, this one:
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/avenue/vy75/july12.htm
I have a higher detailed version of it, if needed i can send it to you.

Upvote 0
Something like that would require a large refit of the level to adjust it to the smaller and closer scale. It's a good idea, I'd like to see a more historical level, but it would take as much work as it took to get to this point just to get an alpha. I'd prefer to completely this more battlefield / orel style gameplay as it seems to be popular.

Though I am experimenting with completely redoing the first objective to make that read part of the level more used. and to make the level more balanced towards the germans.

I've also fixed the tiger issue.

Upvote 0