• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hot Dang! That a great idea: A western mod for RO

Chernuk

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2006
Murphy had a great idea in the Poll:Futuristic Mod thread:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10096

"
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/member.php?u=227
user_offline.gif

icon1.gif

I would love to see a semirealistic western mod "

So would I! And I've made this thread to gauge other peoples interest and maybe encourage some people to start working on such a mod.

Just imagine the scenarios: Play as one of the 'black hats' who have riden into town to blow a bank vault or as a one of the marshalls waiting to ambush.

Pretty much any great western fight scene could be made into a map with a mod like this.

Well, what do you guys think?

i thought he meant the western front ,but now i understand he meant a "western mod" im all for it.

pistol fights in towns and shacks, people saying,

" [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum - the most powerful hand gun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question--Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk!?":D

would just be great!:p:D
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
If they picked a time period for it and stuck with it and made it all accurate it would be great. Would be fun having a fight with some old pistols a winchester repeater and the odd double barral shotgun.

Maybe a few maps that take place before 1885 when guns all used gunpowder and not smokeless powder. everyones shooting in one big cloud of smoke.

Nothing like having 2 old cap and ball pistols shooting your 12 shots and needing to spend 2 min to reload. Or pulling out the bowie knife and trying to finish the fight with that.

The snipers counterpart would be someone with some big old singleshot buffilo rifle.

Wouldnt be any nades but maybe the random moltive cocktail.

Woo horses could be kinda fun too.

Yep i would love it if someone did it right.

Upvote 0
Plaid 13 - I think semi-realistic is the keyword. An accurate model of the weapons and setting but involving most fictional scenarios. Our ideas of and the actual reality of the Wild West aren't the same thanks to Western movies. A history professor recently published an report about this...ug, sorry, can't find a link...turns out the crime rate in the west was probably the lowest in north america in the last two centuries. Most of the settlers were civil war veterans who were armed and knew how to use their guns...doesn't sound like someone i'd mess with.

Of course there are some memorable historical shoot-outs:
the O.K. corral - who wants to be Wyatt Earp?
the lincoln county war

And forget the molotov cocktail - embrace the powder keg!

FatPartizan - Thanks for the link. I remember reading the thread but couldn't find it yesterday. Of course if its a western, it will need horses but I think that will be the number 1 hardest part of the
mod.

Laz... - It would probably have to be pretty early scenario to see bows and arrows. I'm thinking a western mod would probably involve the years 1860-1890. Did everyone had a rifle or a six shooter by then?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link Kabex! Those horse do look sweet. I can just imagine one with a rifle bag and a western saddle. The tumble weeds are already rolling.

Some good news: The Mount&Blade horses are 600 poly's while the RO vehicles are 5-6000 polys. That should allow for an order of improvement, eh? Probably incorporating horses as vehicles would be the best way to go about it.

Wow Murphy, you've thought a lot about this haven't you?
There should NEVER EVER be an attempt to implement ridable horses because such an attempt is doomed to fail. There will never be realistic horses in videogames, so we need to leave them out.

If there will never be an attemp, then there never will be realistic horses. Its better that someone should try, who knows what might happen.

I agree the CS format would probably work best. One life plus you pick/buy your weapon. It think it would be best if the mod stuck to historical weapons models realistically as possible as RO has done. More grit and less arcade is what a RO western mod would be about. Image having to load a six shooter one bullet at a time - and I thought stripper clips where slow!

Dual wield pistols is an interesting idea. Along with lean left and right, there could be look left and right, where looking left, you target with you left pistol, looking right, you target with you right pistol, and forward, you get both. Then all you would need is a "dive behind bar/barrel/wagon" button.

Upvote 0
Hm, cowboys not soldiers, they go as want.
It is probably necessary to have two variants of maps: semi-realistick and arcade .
Semi-realistick . Huge maps ( Orel + horses :rolleyes: ) , tactics, command game. Restriction on time.
Arcade . Fight in a bar. Hard meat in style UT99. Deathmatch . ( Revolver, knife, bottle, fist, killed - resp , killed - resp ).

Upvote 0
nahh... chill, it's cool

I dont know who said what when, but I do remember mentioning a cowboys and indians mod when one of the devs said to post our mod ideas... to which Case said something like 'omg! the Tomahawk spam has gotta go!' ...lmao

It really makes no difference to me mang, I was just playing around. No credit necessary :p

(it is a cool ass idea though... we dont have a good Wild West FPS yet)

Upvote 0
I had a plan to do just this a while back, a mod with a variety of gametypes, and both cowboys and indians in a range of scenarios, but didn't get beyond a design document.

I wanted stuff like the manual bolting in RO used for working the hammer on a Single Action revolver before firing, or working the lever on a winchester/henry repeating carbine.

Ballisticlaly modelled arrows and tomahawks.

Stealthy indians who in the dark have the advantage with a range of near silent weapons and fast movement.

There is a lot of potential for a well done western game.

I hope one day it happens

Upvote 0
To peak a bit more interest, here's a WIP of a revolver I started playing around with tonight that would be appropriate for a western mod.

The first person to correctly guess what this is will win my gratitude for not making me feel like a total hack as a modeler.

Sorry about the watermarks but all I have is the Maya PLE.

*EDIT: Uploaded a new pic showing changes. Added a primitive loading gate, a trigger, more details to the cylinder, and a sight. I'm going to try to improve the handle next.

Attachments

• SAA_WIP2.jpg
    SAA_WIP2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0