• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New rifles for the axis

GuidoTorpedo said:
I'd like to see the Russians get the AVS-36 in some early maps.

avs36-1.jpg

This looks like a wonderful design. It was capable of semi and full automatic fire and had a 15 round clip.

But from what I've read it was nearly impossible to control in full automatic mode and was phased out of service prior to WWII, only seeing very small action there.

I'm not certain it's appropriate. But it definately is a cool weapon design (on paper).

Upvote 0
[DBDUK]Klaus said:
You complain that the game cannot implemnt german weapons that were not widely use dont forget that they barely made any PPD40 and the mp41 was a military police weapon, not a frontline infantry gun so if they want to implemnt a more rare gun, i say let them

I do not follow. Already the guiding principle of realism - which is what makes RO so distinctive and good - has been sacrificed by introducing these rare weapons. So now we may as well have more of the same?

Realism should include
type and availability of weapons as it was during the specific battle/map, otherwise next thing it degenerates into a "secret weapons" game.

Upvote 0
I think there are enough differences between the G41 - G43, and the 33/40 - K98k to make each unique as far as gameplay is concerned.

The G41 was available in limited numbers beginning in spring of 1941 (1200 pre-production, evaluation, G41(W)-marked units delivered by July 2, 1941), so it shouldn't be very common even on early war maps. It reached peak production by late '42/early '43 until the factories began gearing up for G43 production instead. As long as map makers take that into concideration and limit the availability of the rifle, the G41 has every right to be in the game.

As to the rifle itself, it is heavy overall and specifically muzzle heavy. If added to the game, it should quickly fatigue the avatar's arm in unsupported positions. Perhaps the sprint distance could be decreased while carrying it as well. (It's my opinion that it should be decreased when carrying heavy guns like MG's and such.)

Additionally, it has a fixed magazine and was designed to be fed solely by stripper clips. This is a significant difference from the G43 and its detachable magazine design.

Both of those would make a big difference to game play relative to the G43.

Likewise, I feel that the 33/40, while not widely used would be a useful counterpart to the M38/M44 if appropriate for the units on the map. Take all the qualities of the Mosin carbines and apply them to the 33/40 and you have a fair rifle for use with Gebirgsjaeger units.

Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0
K.Johansen said:
Im not sure of the exact length of the 33/40, but it is not as short as the M38 and M44 AFAIK. It would be a cool weapon to have I guess but its basically a 98k with a bigger kick. I think the mp28 was alot more common than the 33/40 =0

I'm not sure right off the top of my head how the length of the Mosin carbine compares with that of the 33/40. Honestly, the 33/40 isn't that much shorter than the K98. A bigger kick it definitely has though.

Still, I think there are gameplay implications that could make it noticeably different than a K98. Again, make the avatar's arm fatigue less quickly, resulting in a more stable sight picture in unsupported positions. Make the kick a little harder than the K98, make the free aim a little better (like the mosin carbines), and make it come up to the shoulder a little faster and you've got a new gun from a gameplay standpoint.

Upvote 0
GuidoTorpedo said:
I'd like to see the Russians get the AVS-36 in some early maps.
Why bother? Not only was the AVS hardly used on the Eastern Front, but the SVT was more common than the AVS in 1941, seeing as the SVT was used throughout the entire war. You can use it on early maps.

[CiA]Stiletto said:
I think it would be neat to have some SKSes and FG42s added in for a few more Berlin scenarios. Didn't something like 2000 SKS prototypes make it in just before Berlin fell?
That's alot, but considering there were hordes of Russians...maybe. I think early prototypes of the AK-47 were used in the battle of Berlin also, in very few numbers of course. That could be false though.

Upvote 0