• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are Halftracks too vulnerable to grenades?

Rameusb5

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006
I know most of the time Halftracks are on tank maps, so this probably doesn't come up much.

But the new Maknavo map (sorry for the spelling) shed some light on the fact that grenades can kill the drivers of halftracks, even if they are buttoned up.

I know that the grenade isn't going IN the back, because the rest of the riders aren't dying... just the driver.

Can someone have a look at this? It's incredibly frustrating to be inside an armored vehicle and die to a nearby grenade.

I haven't had the exact same experience, though I have killed a halftrack driver by shooting him through the view-slit with a handgun. Once I also killed the driver by shooting the halftrack dead on with the PTRD - dunno if the bullet went throught the slit or if it just penetrated... I was surprised nonetheless. So perhaps the blast went through the slit? Or perhaps it's a bug enabling me to shoot him with the PTRD and other to nade you?

Upvote 0
.....but it would be cool if you could land a grenade inside a halftrack, taking out most if not all occupants
cabbagepatch7dt.gif

Upvote 0
Please stop hijaaking my thread. This is about the Grenades Vs Halftrack drivers.

Ok, to put my money where my mouth is, I did some testing on my LAN today. Here's what I found.

First of all, you CAN land a grenade inside the halftrack, and this WILL kill the crew. One oddity is that the halftrack walls do NOT stop damage coming from inside the vehicle. I know this because the blast from inside the HT (which I was not looking inside... ie, i could not see the nade) killed me.

As for the driver issue, here are some screenies:

HT1.jpg

In the above shot, the HT driver did NOT die. But:

HT2.jpg

In this one... this is where I threw the nade, and:

HT3.jpg

The explosion killed both the Driver of the HT and myself.

HT4.jpg

This one (above) did NOT kill the HT driver, but:

HT5.jpg

... this one did (and it's even further away!)

HT6.jpg

This last one killed the driver as well. In fact, any grenade detonation within about 8 feet of the halftrack (front or sides) kills the driver dead. Further than that and he takes damage, but is not killed outright.

Interestingly, if he's in the gunner position, he takes no damage!

Finally, I believe the driver of the BA64 (the Russian scout car) has the exact same issue. I didn't test as throughly or take any screenies, but I was able to kill the driver of the BA64 with nearby grenade blasts, while the gunner was unharmed.

I hope this helps the devs address this issue.

Upvote 0
Fin- said:
The PTRD could penetrate some 40mm at 100 meters, so a sideshot at anything up to the Panzer IV's was bound to go through.
Seem to be a lot of different numbers thrown around for PTRD penetration so I looked around online to see what was what. This Site says 25mm at 300m. This site says 25mm also, but states no given range. This site says 30mm at 500m and 40mm at 100m. And this is particularly useful, showing values from multiple sources. "Small Arms, Artillery and Special Weapons of the Third Reich" according to that site states 30mm at 100m, 27.5mm at 300m and 25mm at 500m, all at an impact angle of 90 degrees. Likewise "Arma Fennica 2" states 30mm at 100m, 27.5mm at 300m and 25mm at 500m, however unlike the other source it says that's for an impact angle of 60 degrees. Whichever is right I wonder?

But yeah.. I'd say the PTRD is waaaaaaay too powerful ingame. It can penetrate a Panthers side/rear armour (40mm and angled in many parts), and easily one hit kill a pz3/pz4/stug3 in skilled hands. Hell, I've even seen it punch through all 80mm of rear armour on a Tiger. Even if it did penetrate, that small solid metal bullet was unlikely to cause catastrophic damage irl. Not that you'd try and blow a tank up with a PTRD irl, you'd instread try to cause numerous bits of "minor" damage to annoy/cripple a tank. And you can't do that ingame. I guess it all screams one thing... a more complicated damage model is needed to even try and accurately model AT rifles.

And woah.. am I straying off topic or what? ;)

Upvote 0
HotDang said:
Can, but shouldn't IIRC. PTRD should barely dent even a PZII C unless it's a 5 meters.

IMHO the halftrack is

to slow
too big a target
too vulnerable
almost pointless compared to the clown car

On tank maps, yes. On the aforementioned map- no. Having 6-8 Germans pop out of a HT right on top of the objective is a major pain to stop.

the hit detection for it is a bit buggy, though. And you can blow the HT itself with grenades, which is just bizzare.

Upvote 0