• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Team Fortress 2!

Surge said:
I agree, the move was a good idea. Team Fortress was never about realism, and I'd hate to see it turn to that concept.
TF2 was never about realism. An incredible amount of information was released in 1999(correction... I said 2001 before but it was 1999) about the game.

It was set on a modern military setting but it wasn't going to be realistic, basically it was going to be BF2(not realistic at all IMO but not quake-like either).

Upvote 0
Gunwing
Go up to IGN.com they got screenshots and pictures. And I can say it looks shitty! Its' like they took the old HalfLife engine and then made a game out of it!
Thats the "old" TF2 which was going to be on the HL 1 engine, they are using the source engine for the "new" TF2 and I doubt any materials are being used for the "new" one that were done for the HL 1 version.

More screens of the "old" version here...
http://www.planetfortress.com/tf2/gameinfo/screenshots.shtml

Upvote 0
Surge said:
I saw this picture and I really like it. I'm glad they decided to take that look instead of that other look.

And what I mean about the realism was the look. If it had that look, but still wasn't at least semi-realistic, it would feel uncanny and alienating, not like TF.

I really like the spy, soldier, and HW. They're really funny looking.

meh.. new style but whatever.. the medic looks horrible

Upvote 0
Ugh this is a wind waker fiasco all over again! The pyro has a dumb looking face mask, engineer is wearing only 1 glove, the sniper has a dumbass cowboy hat and a fat as hell sniper rifle, the spy is wearing a suit and a ski mask... cuz no one could single him out a of a crowd..., the HW guy's arms are way to big (look at those hands :eek:), the demoman has like some giant knee pads or something underneath his pants, the medic looks like a dork/nerd (don't do glasses unless you can pull of the the Gordon Freeman look), the scout looks like a kid who needs to pull down his socks, and the soldier is shorter than everyone and has a awful looking rocket launcher (honestly how do you screw up the rocket launcher look?). All the hopes I had for this game, after all these years I never lost hope, in 1 second they were smashed into thousands of pieces.

Upvote 0
Byte Me said:
Ugh this is a wind waker fiasco all over again! The pyro has a dumb face mask, engineer is wearing only 1 glove, the sniper has a dumbass cowboy hat and a fat as hell sniper rifle, the spy is wearing a suit and a ski mask... cuz no one could single him out a of a crowd..., the HW guy's arms are way to big (look at those hands :eek:), the demoman has like some giant knee pads or something underneath his pants, the medic looks like a dork/nerd (don't do glasses unless you can pull of the the Gordon Freeman look), the scout looks like a kid who needs to pull down his socks, and the soldier is shorter than everyone and has a awful looking rocket launcher (honestly how do you screw up the rocket launcher look?). All the hopes I had for this game, after all these years I never lost hope, in 1 second they were sliced into thousands of pieces.

looks like some kind of pixar kids film...

Upvote 0
Ok just to be clear... I don't think the art style is bad, infact I like that valve decided to actually do something different. BUT! Those. Models. Are. Hideous. PERIOD. Imagine playing with them, how are gibs gonna look? Oh God... are gibs even gonna be in? Is this game aimed at a younger audience and therefore a teen 13+ rating?! Oh man I can't even think about this anymore. Damn you valve, you guys are so cruel to sequels and ports of beloved games.

Upvote 0
Byte Me said:
Ugh this is a wind waker fiasco all over again! The pyro has a dumb looking face mask, engineer is wearing only 1 glove, the sniper has a dumbass cowboy hat and a fat as hell sniper rifle, the spy is wearing a suit and a ski mask... cuz no one could single him out a of a crowd..., the HW guy's arms are way to big (look at those hands :eek:), the demoman has like some giant knee pads or something underneath his pants, the medic looks like a dork/nerd (don't do glasses unless you can pull of the the Gordon Freeman look), the scout looks like a kid who needs to pull down his socks, and the soldier is shorter than everyone and has a awful looking rocket launcher (honestly how do you screw up the rocket launcher look?). All the hopes I had for this game, after all these years I never lost hope, in 1 second they were smashed into thousands of pieces.

Someone's a little hypercritical. I think they all look awesome except maybe the medic.

My favorites are the pyro, soldier and heavy gunner.

Upvote 0
Reddog said:
Two well placed defences were almost indestructable, especially if you had them cover each other.

I think that they have totally changed it from the original TF2 concept because they were beaten to the punch by a host of other games. Personally I think it looks like ****. But that is just me.

have you even seen anything of it yet? ^.^

Upvote 0
Why all this hostility?

Somehow I really like how they look, and certainly they fit the gameplay better that pseudo-realistic ones (rocket jumps would so seem out of place). And seeing only the red team has my hopes up that team blue isn't just a different texture, but all different models.
I really do think that all of them (including the medic) look great. But that could be because I generally like comics, and especially the CG films by Pixar and Dreamworks ^^

Upvote 0
Byte Me said:
Oh man another "wind waker" fiasco is at hand! Didn't anybody learn from that disater that you can not change the graphics style in a sequel to a game. Though wind waker was supposedly a very good zelda game, people couldn't get over the retarded cel shaded graphics, I think the exact same thing is gonna happen again. Though this being valve... the gameplay and the graphics might suck :(.

I loved Wind Waker just as much as Occarina of Time, if not more. If you rate style over substance then you're an idiot IMHO. Wind Waker was a very enjoyable, playable game. They way it looked was largely irrelevant, although I thought the look was fine tbh. RO does not have groundbreaking graphics (sorry devs, no offense) but it does have excellent gameplay, which surely is the reason that we all play it. I bought it to try because of some posts about it's gameplay on my clans CSS forums (and tbf alcohol played its part), not because of some screenshots that I saw. So I'm going to give TF2 a chance to impress me when I play it instead of pre-judging it based on some foolish ideas regarding its looks.

Upvote 0
Lionel-RIchie
Someone's a little hypercritical.
Someone doesn't know the difference between a hypercritical statement and a opinion.
HotDang
I loved Wind Waker just as much as Occarina of Time, if not more. If you rate style over substance then you're an idiot IMHO. Wind Waker was a very enjoyable, playable game. They way it looked was largely irrelevant, although I thought the look was fine tbh. RO does not have groundbreaking graphics (sorry devs, no offense) but it does have excellent gameplay, which surely is the reason that we all play it. I bought it to try because of some posts about it's gameplay on my clans CSS forums (and tbf alcohol played its part), not because of some screenshots that I saw. So I'm going to give TF2 a chance to impress me when I play it instead of pre-judging it based on some foolish ideas regarding its looks.
I never played wind waker, but I did hear that everyone who played it loved it. But other zelda fans just hated the style and just couldn't spend the time looking at it for any amount of time. Oh and I do not judge games based soley on graphics (I still have a Nvidia 6800 from a while back that attests to that). Infact I hate games like F.E.A.R and Prey, all looks no fun. Also, one can infer a lot based on its looks. TF has been around for a long time and has many hardcore fans, and we all know how good valve is at crushing the hopes of the hardcore community with a single screen shot or video.

Look at DoD:S! When people first saw those iron sights come up or watched the grenade launcher be used, they predicted doom well before it came out. And they were right, DoD:S was a disaster on all counts, horrible frame rates on even high end PC's, only 4 maps, and awful hit registration, on top of the now new annoying rifle nade launchers and the almost useless iron sights. Now none of those problems could be guessed from the videos but the fans still knew something bad was gonna happen to their favorite WWII franchise. To me it looks like none of the devs at valve take TF2 seriously, like it will sell because of the look and the name behind it. Though I could be wrong and the gameplay could be amazing, if so then I guess I would simply have to replace all the models with customs, no matter how badly my 6800 chugs along (if my video card can't handle it then I would not hesitate to drop TF2 like a bad habit and soley play FF, those models are all out fugly, this is the part where I say its my opinion... I won't, you must have damaged your optic nerve before you saw the pic to even think those models look decent).

Last edited:
Upvote 0