• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Orel opens up the ultimate teamplay - tank formations!

Hamburgerphil said:
If you get a good commander and cooperative players, it's relatively easy (on a full server) to get 8 or 9 tanks in a formation and wreak havoc. That's exactly what happened on fk#4 for the last couple of hours. KARL_STINER, Majestic along with me and a half dozen others would form up near the northermost bridge. (we were german) We would then get in a rough formation, with the tigers generally taking the lead, and the weaker PZ IV and III in the back. We rushed Ruins, spread out to Central and East Heights, consolidated, got the fields. Once reinforcements came, we madly rushed south bridge. 20 minutes and we had won the map.
Best map ever made, if you can find enough good teammates to fill up the ranks. :)

And that game was absolutely AWESOME! :)

The long driving times may be annoying but this is exactly what makes you value your life and it makes it easier to get people work together in formations :)

What I loved most is that when we played Soviets rushed to heights to capture them for points, where as we calmly flanked them to ruins and overrun them from side :)

We need commander to see all tanks on the map to be more precise with commands who go where though, tactical numbers stuff that we need - RO's strength is in team play that builds great community around the game, this is what makes it fun, not arcade like kills :)

Upvote 0
Someone wishes to use BA-64 as aircraft-observers? For tanks it practically is not vulnerable. Zigzags, circles and unpredictable driving.

For this purpose are necessary:

Good English language.
Good diction.
Good microphone.

+ the mad driver is necessary. Alone to look on the sides, and to twist circles near a tiger hard.

Sense of idea: to not blow up tigers. Only to look that in German rear, to give the information to tanks, for example where the tiger to grasp the removed point, to coordinate actions of tanks.

Upvote 0
Recce said:
I'm sure that I've read that the German manual said the Tiger should be engaging the enemy at 1200m+ and should avoid fights below a certain range. Can anyone think where I would have seen that?

When i've the chance of finding an empty Tiger in an empty german spawn i like to take it to the Southfield (H7) or somewhere northwest of Westfield and then ambush incoming tanks. There you can engage at 1000m and you have a clear view on every approaching tanks.

I know it's a bit sellfish but i really like that ;)

In my opinion StuG is the ubertank on this map. You can hide in a wheatfield without ever being noticed. The rate of fire of this little nasty thing is amazing.

Btw we had a nice run together with the StuGs yesterday!

Upvote 0
Sorry if this was mentioned before, but I don't have the patience right now to read through all the posts.

People have noted on the 88v76 version of this map, teamwork is required for the Russians to engage a Tiger, and hence actually seen to a major degree.

Perhaps someone should make a map (or a version) with 1 or 2 Allied IS-2's, and no Tigers on the German side (maybe one or two Panthers, but Panzers for the rest). That would force Germans to use teamwork to defeat the IS-2 in much the same way.

Upvote 0
Germans still need to use teamwork with the Tigers, just teamwork of a different kind. The Russian strategy seems to be swarm the enemy with fast tanks all firing at once. German strategy needs to be a bit more precise -- Stug IIIs and Pz IIIs hauling ass to capture points (Pz IIIs loading with APCR for in-close battles). Pz IVs acting as midfielders, and the Tigers acting as long-range cover fire, maybe protected by a Stug III or Pz III if the enemy gets too close.

Basically, Russians just mob the enemy. Germans need to play football a bit. Lighter, faster tanks are your strikers, the mediums are your midfielders, and Tigers are your defense. :)

Upvote 0
Solo4114 said:
Pz IIIs loading with APCR for in-close battles

Although the offical line is that APCR hits harder at "close" range, but loses velocity more rapidly than the heavier AP round and hence effectivness and accuracy, the question is how close is "close". Using Moregil's "Quick Tank Range", the APCR is still cutting through the JS-2 armour at 750m, while the AP is bouncing off. I believe that the APCR will always be more effective and just as accurate as the AP, at the maximum range that RO:OST gives us.

The only thing is, when shooting at close to 800m, do you want to expend a couple of your precious APCR finding the correct range.

Upvote 0
Recce said:
Although the offical line is that APCR hits harder at "close" range, but loses velocity more rapidly than the heavier AP round and hence effectivness and accuracy, the question is how close is "close". Using Moregil's "Quick Tank Range", the APCR is still cutting through the JS-2 armour at 750m, while the AP is bouncing off. I believe that the APCR will always be more effective and just as accurate as the AP, at the maximum range that RO:OST gives us.

The only thing is, when shooting at close to 800m, do you want to expend a couple of your precious APCR finding the correct range.

With the linked sights, I think you can fire off regular AP rounds, then switch to APCR without having to adjust your elevation manually.

Upvote 0
\\<.Adnauseam said:
In my opinion StuG is the ubertank on this map. You can hide in a wheatfield without ever being noticed. The rate of fire of this little nasty thing is amazing.

Got to agree with you, I love the StuG on Orel. I just wish there were 3 in spawn at the start. I'm sure that (on paper) a StuG platoon strength was 3 tanks from 1942 to 1944. But I've only managed to get 3 StuGs working together once, and that was a lot of fun, with a lot of burning metal in-front of us.

But, why can the StuG tank commander only make one revolution when un-buttoned. You have to turn back the the other direction!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
\\<.Adnauseam said:
When i've the chance of finding an empty Tiger in an empty german spawn i like to take it to the Southfield (H7) or somewhere northwest of Westfield and then ambush incoming tanks. There you can engage at 1000m and you have a clear view on every approaching tanks.

I know it's a bit sellfish but i really like that ;)

yes the stug is only ok if you have the surprise if you get a well angled t34 your dead. if the track gets knocked its a death trap:rolleyes::D

Upvote 0
Solo4114 said:
Germans still need to use teamwork with the Tigers, just teamwork of a different kind. The Russian strategy seems to be swarm the enemy with fast tanks all firing at once. German strategy needs to be a bit more precise -- Stug IIIs and Pz IIIs hauling ass to capture points (Pz IIIs loading with APCR for in-close battles). Pz IVs acting as midfielders, and the Tigers acting as long-range cover fire, maybe protected by a Stug III or Pz III if the enemy gets too close.

Basically, Russians just mob the enemy. Germans need to play football a bit. Lighter, faster tanks are your strikers, the mediums are your midfielders, and Tigers are your defense. :)
yes i have a good plan for this map:p its a shame some players dont listen and wont to be alone hero :rolleyes:

Upvote 0