• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Before RO: O 41-45 was made did TW ever thought of using the Source engine ?

Kind of defeats the purpose of spending all that time, money, and effort on winning the Make Something Unreal Contest to just chuck two game engines worth hundreds of thousands of dollars into the closet and start everything from scratch...

It's actually a very beneficial arrangement for both TW and Valve. Tripwire gets access to an established and easy-to-use distribution system with an installed userbase millions-strong. Valve gets to demonstrate its delivery system is not just for Source games, enabling it to draw other developers as well as experiment and improve its technology. The new patch is an example of this improvement, where lessons learned from the initial RO:O install problems enabled them to develop a new file structure that boosted performance.

Upvote 0
I definitely agree that it makes more sense for a development team that knows Unreal to stick with it instead of starting all over again learning a new game engine. However, I'm not aware of Unreal 2.5 being an intrinsically better game engine than Source for the type of game play featured in RO. It seems like Source is a quite versatile and powerful game engine that is continuing to be updated and supported. Valve also seems like a pretty good company to license from assuming you don't already have a free license to work with.

Upvote 0
Midshipman said:
I definitely agree that it makes more sense for a development team that knows Unreal to stick with it instead of starting all over again learning a new game engine. However, I'm not aware of Unreal 2.5 being an intrinsically better game engine than Source for the type of game play featured in RO. It seems like Source is a quite versatile and powerful game engine that is continuing to be updated and supported. Valve also seems like a pretty good company to license from assuming you don't already have a free license to work with.

dude, we would like have... 1 fps playing in the source engine, it's incapable of rendering wide open areas!!!!!!!!!11111

Upvote 0
Midshipman said:
I sure hope that this is sarcasm.

Its not sarcasm, Source does not like large open areas, its possible, but you have to jump through a ton of fiery hoops to make it work, developing levels like that for Source is very hard! and i have never seen a Source map that even got clouse to the scale of Arad, and you can forget all about it ever doing something on the scale of Orel, and in the end, Unreal does outdoor with higher detail than Source can (but Source can do indoors better).

Its much easier with Unreal, its build for this sort of thing, and it even has much better net-code, hell, you can build larger maps than Orel with it, it can build extremely huge! allmost OFP huge!

In the end, Source is actually not a very good engine for multiplayer games, with its hit-box detection and poor net-code, its pretty.. horrible really, its real force is with singleplayer games, which to its credit, it does very well indeed.

Upvote 0
Besides, although it doesnt have the high end effects like bump mapping, I still prefer the look of UE2.5. I think its the fact that source is very texture-based. Source is incredible for what it does though and itll be great to play all the mods.

Really we're getting the best of the pc gaming community all for RO. TW's awesome development skill, the unparalled greatness of the Unreal engines, and Valve's power and support.

Upvote 0
Tripwire gets access to an established and easy-to-use distribution system with an installed userbase millions-strong. Valve gets to demonstrate its delivery system is not just for Source games, enabling it to draw other developers as well as experiment and improve its technology.

Amen and agreed.

Also, as it has been mentioned few times but source is not good rending outdoor areas and that since it was originally SP-only- engine, it was "ported" to work with MP with some side-effects, more or less annoying.

Upvote 0
Source is a nice looking engine and if you look at DoD: S maps, the details and feel of them is incredible (when you have glowing walls turned off that is - Read: Bloom), but apart from the obvious problem of small areas, the netcode is atrocious. There are a few mods that I was really looking forward to on the Source engine, but I'm incredibly apprehensive about them now, as no matter how well made they are, the inherent engine problems are going to cause real headaches.

Besides which, I don't like the feel of the Source engine. The movement and whatnot just feels all wrong. The Unreal engine just feels so much more responsive and sharp.

Upvote 0