• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Preview] RO-Berezina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slyk said:
I live for nags...I'm married. Hahaha

No, honestly, FIRST UT engine map, NAG ME!!! I need all the creative and constructive input possible. I'll handle the gameplay aspects, I expect the community to help me catch little nuance things like you mentioned. I hope to get a ton of feedback from the beta process to make this one of the defining maps for RO...that is my dream, at least.

Slyk, it looks simply mahvelous!! As for nagging... well we are both used to that. But please, as one other well meaning chap said... don't let the peanut gallery get to you. Do not lose your focus. I've played and still play ALL of your creations for UO. In fact our UO server is primarily AHZ maps.

I say that because I know what you are capable of. The balance, the plot, the atmosphere, and the fine detail you include in every map you create is above reproach.

I look forward to the beta versions and the final of this puppy... it is another great one in the works.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. It is moving along well. Nearing the 'alpha' stage and hope to start that in a couple days. Need some high-level input on objectives though (HINT). The bulk of the rough-in/hard-scape is done. All about details now so things will slow up a bit as I go over the map doing the first few layers of detail work....I go in waves sort of and jump from zone to zone as ideas hit me. Generally I tweak the details right up to 'final', adding more as beta testing warrents or proves out that the performance can handle more. Most interested in gameplay and not how much crap is inside a house...hahaha

More images on the way. And Lex is working on some models, but we are going to need more of that 'high level' help to get them to work in-game. BT-7 is our first project. After that, I don't know, I have a list. The Germans don't need any more vehicles, really. The PzIII and IV are enough for this scenario. Early war Stugs would be my only wish (short 75mm). T26 would be awesome but my second choice for the Russians is either a Gaz transport truck or a BA-10 armored car.

Upvote 0
Berezina looks like it's going to be great. I like the thought that's obviously gone into the historical background and how you're planning on getting the conflict to flow over the battlefield. Should force some more intresting decisions other than "shall we attack / hold the Tower or the Square". If you want to win that is.

Please, please, please let Heinz put it up on RTR for beta testing.

Upvote 0
Recce said:
Berezina looks like it's going to be great. I like the thought that's obviously gone into the historical background and how you're planning on getting the conflict to flow over the battlefield. Should force some more intresting decisions other than "shall we attack / hold the Tower or the Square". If you want to win that is.

Being that it is an AfterHourz map, it will probably go there first for alpha, and later beta testing...

Upvote 0
Recce said:

thanks for the vote of confidence dude. I PM'd Slyk with an offer to help anyway I can, including testing on a full server. I need to get more active on/in the AHz community, the forums, etc. I need to spread my forum spam around anyways. ;)

Like Mike Nomad, I played all of Slyk's stuff for original CoD (we loved CnQ Gun Assault!), and played the stuff for UO. let's put it this way; the guy knows how to create a battlefield. Just like his (their?) slogan says: something like, "we don't make maps, we make battlefields". damn fekkin' right he does. :D

you want my 2 cents, when released, this is going to be the best map RO has ever seen. remember, you heard it here first. check the time and date. make a note. :cool:

Upvote 0
Alpha testing will be all internal at AHz. I usually am a map-test-Nazi, honestly. I like to keep that level close and confined to only the most long-term/trusted members. It's a reward for their loyalties to AHz and makes pirate issues easy to manage. On occassion I've invited select leaders from other communities, so you are welcome to visit AHz and start showing your interest around there, never hurts. Also, our alpha tests require you be on our TeamSpeak server as we do: monkey testing (trying to get under, over and around every boundry; floaties; misaligned entities; spawnpositions; and a huge combination of scenarios to test gameplay from every spawn vs. spawn location of concern.

Beta testing will be public and usually runs two weeks or over atleast two weekends to get a lot of feedback. I don't like more than two beta releases. I try to get a good run out and then collect feedback and work as the information comes in, trying to stay on top of the feedback.

Upvote 0
(someone else must have bumped this. it was not me.)

ladiesmanava5yv.gif
<--- maybe it was this guy.

Upvote 0
Update Screen shots

Update Screen shots

New screenshots of the East river bank area, the end of the line for the Russians:

Looking east just south of the bridge. A ford is just to the lower right. Numerous rifle pits and AT gun pits are on the opposite bank along with two main trench works. Several houses up the bank offer commanding views of the west bank...
Shot00031.jpg

A closer look at the east bank and the group of houses...the final Russian spawn, the troops will have to make their way down to the river defenses or snipe from the windows to save the bridgehead.
Shot00032.jpg

Looking west across the river...
Shot00033.jpg

A look west from the south end of the defensive line...
Shot00034.jpg

Upvote 0
Infantry can cross at most any point, there are a few spots with nearly vertical banks. Vehicles can enter/exit at nearly 100% of the west bank, but exit on barely 50% of the east. I haven't decided on the final objective set up in this area. I was thinking just a 'bridge' objective but recently set it up for a 'west' and 'east' bank. If I do both ends, then it is a question of zone size...which I think would be volumes shaped along the banks for modest size with the east side taking in parts of the trenchworks there.

With two objectives at the bridge the total is 12 for the map. They flow as:

2 - 4 - 6 - 8
- - - - 5 - - - 10 - 11 - 12
1 - 3 - 7 - 9

5, 9, 10, and 11 at this time will be recapture-enabled. They are the collective farm, main village, AT-gun position, and west bank of the river (refer to prior screenshots). Cap zones will be linear with two flanks over most of the map. Taking non-recap-able objectives will move your vehicle and troop spawns to that area.

I will do my best to get an overhead/master screenshot together later today.

Upvote 0
Wow! Bottom of page 2... BUMP! Shameless one at that.

Finally have my objectives working properly. A couple more tweaks to get just the right special tricks but looking cool. THANKS to Dingbat for a little commentary that helped a lot, I appreciate that.

I now have two flank options for the German attack. Looking at the image below, you can see that when the Germans capture the '1st Line' objective, the 'Bridge' and 'Farm' will activate. From the '1st Line', the Germans can now go left (north of map) or right (south) to drive on 'Berezinov Village'. As an example, if the Germans go left (north), they capture the 'Bridge', then '2nd Line North' and then the 'North Farm'. From here they can hook south to capture the village. Upon completing that capture, the 'Farm' and '2nd Line South' will lock out. Any Russians 'trapped' between the '1st Line' and 'Village' are hung out to dry... no hope of reinforcements and Germans on two, if not three sides!

The same effect will essentially work from the South route. Moral: DEFEND your butts off and if your other flank is collapsing, best to save lives and turn tail and head for the river. This should open a wealth of strategic options for players and for those serious about tactics/strategy, I hope they enjoy the multitude of options. It's complicated, but not. If you think about it.

Below is a screenshot of the overhead map with the 'alpha' testing data. I will clean up and polish this as testing moves to Beta...which could be within the week/10 days for Beta1.

berload.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.