• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Arad Screenshots

rats

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 8, 2006
Hello and nice to meet you all.
I've read the review of Red Orchestra in the Romanian magazine, LEVEL and I am pleasently surprised to see that my town has a map in the game. I didn't bought the game (yet), but I need some of your help to make that decision by posting some screenshots from Arad to confirm the authenticity :p

Thanks

hey guys and thanks for the pics... I might know where the map is located (if, in fact, it's in Arad city, not Arad county) - in "Cetatea Aradului" (The Arad Fortress). See it here:
Pic 1
Pic 2

And yes Moz, Arad is a county (a.k.a. judeţ) with its city capital, Arad. Get it? :p

Anyway, so the water from the pictures is surely the river called "Mureş", which emerges from the Carpatian Mountains and pours into Tisa (a hungarian river).
I'll look into some war archives and see if there was an actual "big" battle around here.

Edit:

The international situation directly influenced the political evolution in Romania. Despite the alliance with Germany, the Romanian government wasn't able to prevent the loss of some provinces including a large part of Transylvania (30 August 1940). The protests of the Romanians, including those from Arad, weren't successful.
The war gave Arad a hard time too. On top of the repeated restrictions and requisitions added the Anglo-American bombings in July 1944, which wrecked military and civil buildings around rhe railway station.
After the policical coup in 23 August 1944, Arad got into the middle of the battles between Romanian and the German-Hungarian armies. On 22 September, the Hungarian troops withdrew from the city after bowing up the bridges over the Mures, the railway station and the telephonic exchange. In October and early November 1944, the Luftwaffe bombed the railway station causing important damage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The battle of Arad involved Romanian (later reinforced by Soviets) and Hungarian troops. I think the battle reached its climax in [SIZE=-1]Păuliş village near Arad. I quote a post written by a romanian at www.worldwar2.ro

[/SIZE]
By dragos
The Reserve Infantry NCOs School of Radna, commanded by Colonel Alexandru Petrescu, was ordered to organize a defense along Paulis - Ghioroc - Cuvin and to block the Hungarians' advance on the Mures riverbed. The "Paulis" Detachment was made of three battalions of cadets, one platoon of 93rd Infantry Regiment, one battery of the 38th Artillery Regiment (without guns), the 1st Battalion from the 96th Infantry Regiment and the 61st Heavy Artillery Battalion.

Advancing on the northern bank of the Mures River, on the direction Simbateni - Minis, concomitently with a enveloping maneuver of the righ flank of the Romanian troops, the Hungarian 1st Armored and 6th Reserve Infantry Divisions made contact with the "Paulis" Detachment west of the village of Paulis, on 14 September.

The first assault of the Hungarian troops, carried out with two infantry battalions supported by tanks, was repulsed by the 2nd and 6th Companies of cadets, with heavy losses for the Hungarians. Five more attacks were carried out subsequently against the Romanian positions, but by nightfall the Romanian units were holding their positions firmly. The four anti-tank guns of the "Paulis" Detachment scored 18 tanks and 3 armored vehicles destroyed.

The following day the Hungarians concentrated the attack on the 1st Battalion from the 96th Infantry Regiment, at Hill 471. After a strong artillery preparation the Hungarians forced the Romanian troops to fall back on successive lines of defence, being stopped on Cladova's Valley only after they seized the villages of Cuvin and Ghioroc. In the morning of 16 September, a Romanian counter-attack by surprise, without artillery preparation, carried out by the 5th Company of cadets, managed to destroy a large part of the Hungarian forces which broke through the defense perimeter the previous day.

The climax of battle was reached on 17 September, when the Hungarian command commited all the available forces in the attack. After a 45 minutes artillery preparation, the Hungarians managed to breach south-east of Minis, where they clashed with the 3rd Company of cadets, on defense at Hill 365. The attempt of driving away the Romanian unit failed. By the afternoon a Soviet battalion from the 32nd Motorized Infantry Regiment (53rd Soviet Army) arrived in the area. The counter-attack carried out by the Soviet battalion together with the 1st Battalion from the 96th Infantry Regiment and one company of cadets, north of Ghioroc, forced the Hungarian troops to retreat towards Cuvin. The following day the entire "Paulis" Detachment launched the attack, and by the evening of 19 September the initial disposition was restored.

In the fights at Paulis Hungarians lost 1,287 men (387 POW), 23 Turan and Toldi tanks, and left behind large quantities of equipment. The "Paulis" Detachment lost 377 men (65 KIA).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
from a book on ebay

6576268057a7at.jpg

6576268057b4ub.jpg

6576268057h3vy.jpg

6576268057i3hy.jpg

6576268057j4cq.jpg

Upvote 0