• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Message to infantry map players

Solo4114 said:
Personally I HATE Odessa. StalingradKessel is a far better map, I find. I miss Krasnyi Oktyabr, and I do enjoy the occasional round of Kaukasus. Konigsplatz is a pretty good one too, though that's CA. I've actually grown to really enjoy Basovka, though.
Personally i much prefer Odessa over Stalingrad, don't know why but I realy don't enjoy Stalingrad anymore, probably too many hours of being stuck on a server wit sappers who refuse to do anythying resulting in losing and re-capping the warehouse over and over.

Kransyni is in ostfront though, and ever better than it ever was. :confused:

Upvote 0
lol does no one look at the settings when creating a server.

Admins have so much control over map rotation and voting.

How long voting is open.
How many votes are needed (percentage) to trigger map voting for all
How many votes are needed to change the next map from the one in rotation
Whetehr voting can happen mid game or only at round end
How often a map can be played i.e. how many other maps much be played before you can vote for it again
Whether to have voting at all or use a rotation

There are a lot of options but server admins tend to overlook them

So if done properly an admin could have his server run a map rotation but give people a short window to vote for another map in before it changes, so if X% vote for another map then the rotation is ignored and the voting is used instead to decide. They can also make sure you have to play any number of maps they want before you can ever play the same map a 2nd time.

Upvote 0
Odessa, to me, is very much like a DoD map.. only a few routes, closed in by walls.. highly predictable after about the fifth time playing it.... it's beyond boring to me now.

Krasny, Kessel, and Kauk are all time classics. I always enjoy these ones.

but there are now some new infantry maps like... Lazur - very fun and challenging map for both sides. Town Assault - dark, lots of routes, and a touch fast paced, I like this one. SnowyForest/Kurland - awesome, awesome, awesome. Hill88 - I've heard complaining on servers about this one, but I have a lot of fun as a Russian Sapper trying to blow those guns, good map imo.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
I think its amusing how there are democratic servers (voting), communist servers (map rotation), and then anarchy servers (random map rotation). Then there are facist servers who ban everyone and the admin votes for what he wants.

I would add to this the "Banana Republic" server, where the people are allowed to vote but if the admin doesn't like the results he stages a coup and forces the map to the one he voted for.

Upvote 0
Solo4114 said:
Personally I HATE Odessa. StalingradKessel is a far better map, I find. I miss Krasnyi Oktyabr, and I do enjoy the occasional round of Kaukasus. Konigsplatz is a pretty good one too, though that's CA. I've actually grown to really enjoy Basovka, though.

Now that the custom map scene is starting to take off, we should see more interesting maps played (along with some bad ones).

Funny Odessa is my favorite map and Kaukasus is the worse. Its either the germans organize better and overrun the allies. Or if you have a well organized group on allies I've seen them shutdown the germans so bad they never get out of spawn.

Upvote 0
Theodrake said:
Funny Odessa is my favorite map and Kaukasus is the worse. Its either the germans organize better and overrun the allies. Or if you have a well organized group on allies I've seen them shutdown the germans so bad they never get out of spawn.

YEah, that can be true, although lately, I've been on well organized German teams. But yes, it's easier for the Allies, no question.

Odessa, though, when I get stuck (yes stuck) on the Russian team NO ONE EVER ADVANCES. They all twiddle their thumbs and plink away at each other maybe moving up two steps, and then we lose the map because no one got in the cap zone. Again.

I'm all for valuing one's virtual life, but come on man, get your ass in the zone or we lose. That just seems to be how Odessa always goes. On the occasions where I play Germans and we lose, it's usually because of the same thing -- too many people focusing purely on getting kills and not enough bodies in the zone.

Upvote 0
Oi!Oi!Oi! said:
There are other maps than Odessa and Stalingradkessel.

Thank you.

lol, I know, right? some well known clan server, who's members post here regularly, run those 2 maps constantly. I mean, every freakin' time I glance up and see that server in the browser, they are running one of those maps. I mean, holy crap I'd rather shoot myself. :D

two of the best inf maps never even get played, and that's Baksan Valley and Krasni Oktyabr. such a shame.

I thought the message was going to be "the truck delivering the 17 cases of No-Doze will be at your house shortly. Hang in there." :D

Upvote 0
Personally I think we can have the best of both worlds IF server admins would not allow the same map to be voted for within say, 5-7 maps. This function is already avaliable but I rarely see it in use. If server admins would put this on their server everyone can still vote for maps but they can't vote for StalingradKessel when the map they just played was... wait for it... StalingradKessel! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Everyone is allowed to have a favorite and least favorite, but if you play around a bit you'll find that all the base maps in RO are really quite stellar in design. Even Odessa. It can be either teams worst nightmare. I can only imagine how fun that one is in clan play with two agressive and organized teams. Props for that, TWI.

But I agree. More votes for the lesser played maps! :p I love having a server block the most recently played X amounts.

Upvote 0
CaptRio said:
Thats why Im completely against this voting system. It has almost destroyed the mod version of RO cause the only played maps were Berlin-80% of the time and 2 more others 20%

Just rotate the maps!!!

Umm no, there were about 7 or 8 "top maps" in the mod, and Berlin was 3rd of those 7/8. (source: RO Stats)
If there are now fewer often played maps, then can you blame the players? Maybe something else is a bigger issue. If people play a very small selection of maps very regularly, there may be a reason only those maps are played, while others are totally neglected. Like maybe people don't want to play the other maps...?

Upvote 0