• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Orel: amazing, humongous tank map!

Recce said:
The 222, with the 20mm cannon would be nice, to give the Germans a bit of fast firepower, to match the T-60. But I do love the idea of the 222/223, with that big antenna array on top, calling in arty where ever it went.
No need for the 223... the 222 has a radio(AFAIK). I'd rather have the 20mm than nothing. :)

Wouldn't it kick ass to have Befehlspanzers? They would ONLY be boardable by a Panzerfuehrer class(with 1 pzfuehrer inside other normal crew could join).

It'd kick ass to see some "Scout Panzer crew" which was qualified to drive the Sdkfz222 and Puma(late war). Oh man.

Upvote 0
akd said:
Well, there was a consistent shortage of tanks at the German spawn everytime I played. I actually joined the Russian side for a round thinking they were outnumbered, but took another look at the list and realized it was actually 17 Russian vs. 15 German. There were at least 6 to 8 tanks sitting in the Russian spawn, with 3 or 4 T-34/85s, several KVs and the rest T-34/76s or SU-76s.

Swithing to Germans to rebalance teams, I find a single Pz IVF/1 in the German spawn. That's just stupid.

I am also certain those numbers are exaggerated. Regardless, I played several rounds on the German side. I spawned once in the forward spawn, and there were only Pz IVs and StuGs, probably 8-10 total. The conditions for activating the German forward spawn are too difficult.

The team killing is a result of frustration from the unfair equipment assigned to the German team.

You will probably find the next spawn empty, as I did several times. See above regarding conditions for activating second German spawn being to difficult too meet. There are no tanks there at the beginning of the round, so if it never activates, there won't be any additional tanks.

The Russians, however, have an easier time getting their second spawn active early in the game. That's why I found the first Russian spawn full of unused tanks.

i played as germans and dont think that their weak on this map its all about how well u play as a team when i played 3 rounds on Orel Germans won all 3 rounds so tank balance is fine but i do want to see 2 tiger and 1 is-2 added
and hopefully next patch will bring some scout cars for germans or maybe even extra tanks king maybe jagd or maybe a hetzer but what i really want is some Katusha and Newbleverfer(cant spell)...

Upvote 0
Lapata said:
i played as germans and dont think that their weak on this map its all about how well u play as a team when i played 3 rounds on Orel Germans won all 3 rounds so tank balance is fine but i do want to see 2 tiger and 1 is-2 added
and hopefully next patch will bring some scout cars for germans or maybe even extra tanks king maybe jagd or maybe a hetzer but what i really want is some Katusha and Newbleverfer(cant spell)...

None of those tanks (sans tiger 1) were in the field at the time of this map.

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
You know... you are somewhat right. I have to admit it kinda bored me out as well the first time I played it (driving for ten minutes only to get killed, repeat).

But on this map, you have to think differently. On most RO tank maps like Arad for example, you can put yourself in a "rush" state of mind: rush to the objectives, angle the tank when you see an enemy tank, destroy the tank, move on and repeat.

On Orel however, that isn't the most effective way. You have to take your time, move in convoys, flank and set up ambushes. The map lasts like 80 minutes so there's plenty of time to execute a plan. Those who think realistically and use patience will be succesful. "Rambo tankers" will just be killed after a 10 minute ride. Orel is the only RO map I can think of that does that; punishing Rambos.

As in almost every original map of RO, has this instant action put out.

I have played WW2 online for some time, that game made me think different.

Once I flew from K

Upvote 0
The map is fantastic! The most realistic tank battles in RO are seen on this map. Groups of 4-5 tanks each really duking it out at LOOOONG distance. Hull down positions up on the heights are great and it actually takes SKILL to be effective at these distances.

The biggest problems with this map are obviously the spawn times and the shortage of tanks. I'm sorry but I just don't like driving around with gunners who refuse to fire at targets or drivers who can't stop the tank when you tell them too. There should be enough tanks for everyone, which would also add to the massiveness of the battle. The spawns are sooooo far away from the action I find myself getting up to pee or fix myself a drink while I set the tank on autopilot...Quite frankly, though the "punishment" part for dying is certainly effective, the spawns simply need to be moved closer.

In regards to putting earlier model tanks in....there's already so much garbage in the map (Su-76s/T-60s), there's really no need. Perhaps it's historic but we NEED to keep gameplay in mind. A bunch of tanks that can't destroy eachother (or hit for that matter) at 1000m would get a little old, especially considering RO's armor model is hardly realistic. The Su-76 is soooooooo slow compared to the T-34 it's just silly, and it shouldn't be only 1/2 the speed of the 34 (this is a game problem not a map problem).

Upvote 0
Here's some suggestions i have.

- Try adding some grass or something as a deco layer. This might hurt the fps a bit but i doubt overall it will affect it that much, as long as you keep the density low.

- Try putting some fausts in or around the houses, ( i may have missed them i dunno)

- Spawning the infantry closer would be really nice.

Otherwise its good stuff :)

This is a map that would really benefit from the infantry being able to ride on the tanks :p

Upvote 0
Just had an incredible game on Orel-88vs76 inside a Tiger, had a damn good driver who got out of the tank and spotted for me, he told me where tanks were, at what distance they were at, when I fired he told me "100m more/100m less" and generally KICKED ASS.

Tank coordination is just the best thing in this game. I love the infantry, but its got nothing on coordinated armored assaults on Orel.

I was popping off T34's and SU76's at 1000m, one after the other and there was just a sea of wreckages.

Now I can see why Otto Carius and the others had such remarkable records, the Tiger is unparalleled. After you use the Tiger in this map with proper tactics and coordination, you will become an Otto Carius yourself.

Upvote 0
I had a couple dissapointing runs on Orel recently. One was a crappy driver that wouldn't do what I told him to do. Ex: I tell him to stop, he keeps moving. I tell him again, again, one more time, doesn't stop until the enemy tank is out of sight. All the time complaining on VOIP about how I'm not shooting the enemy tanks. *sigh*

A second run had me in a great position in a panther. Unfortunately, the game made my tank BLANK FIRE twice in a row, getting me killed. :mad:

Otherwise its a great map. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I've played orel a few times for part of a round, but usually it'd end in a few minutes and switch to Arad.

I fonally played my first ~80 minute game of Orel88v76 this morning with a friend.. and.. WOW.

We played most of the round as Germans in a Tiger (switched from Russian early because the server was all bots and the russians were about to win.)

We rampaged around in a tiger and lived for the entire round.

Dug into the east heights, I hopped out with my binoculars, covering our flanks and spotting targets for my gunner. We had a crazy time hunting down one insane T3476 who was helbent on destroying all of our bridges with arty. (He got away, actually possible on this map).

The best part of the game is the cat and mouse play. You think, "if he's capturing this objective, we could move around to this side and hit him as he moves to the next one", and so on, and so forth. It's as much of a mental exercise as a skill exercise, as you NEED to plan effectively to maximize your driving time. You don't want to spend time driving around unnecessarily.

Eventually, the server filled up with all humans, and the combat became much more exciting and nail biting. Tanks were sneaking around, hunting in large groups, and dodging long range 88mm death. (Bastards!)

This map lets you engage the enemy when and where you want, and hunt like a bastard, whereas a map like arad just spawns two armies on two sides of a field and lets them pound each other until one side wins. Yawn.

We replaced our heavily damaged tank only once, with 7 mins to go, and drove all the way to South Lake from German spawn in a mad ditch effort to capture the last point. We fired at tanks on the move, killed a BA scout in a house, all while barreling at top speed and miraculously dodging enemy flank shots. We started the cap and got to 50% before the map ended. INTENSE! (Moral victory, anyone?)

Oddly enough, the messed up collision volumes on the bridges make you feel like you're driving a many many ton tank across a rockety bridge. Solution, pray and drive at top speed, or take it slow and steady. Neverbefore has driving across a bridge been an adventure.

Okay, end rant. I love this map. I hope it stays as is and doesn't get comprimised for the people who hate driving. No progressive spawning IN the heights, please. Spawning in the village is a good enough prize for capping the heights.

Upvote 0
Love the map but two things are needed the two starting spawns are just to far away. One should be just north of the North bridge and the other just south of south town. It just takes to long to get back into formation once you die, after initial contact if you die mostly you are one on one after. Also removing the bridges as being an objective these are just an annoyance as you can just drive through the water.

Upvote 0