• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

SgtH3nry3 said:
If Silent Hunter III would be intercompatible with Il-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles and Pacific Fighters it would pwn everything!

Imagine sub vs. plane battles! :eek:
Heh, that would rock more than SH2 vs Destroyer Command :D

Apart from the fact that the original game still remained bug-ridden and crashed every so and so many minutes of play (espwhen using time lapse...).

What would pwn moreso would be an addon for SH3 that enabled you to play surface ships.
And now the real interaction with IL2 would start

*dreams*
drool29zx.gif

Upvote 0
Zoring said:
It would be fun but frustrating for the surface guys, i imagine that anything but a MTB would be owned by mostly any bomb carrying plane too easily. Espescially seeing how good some people are at flying in IL2
Never underestimate the anti-aircraft capabilities of submarines like the Type VIIC, or regular ships...

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ghad said:
Im having a so hard time with gunnery in this game, i cant score hits on anything but sub 50-60 meters distance :s
Well, no surprise since that is the distance your guns are aligned at by default.
There's hardly a point engaging much further anyhow.
Of course you could zoom in a bit but I don't feel that's too realistic...

Even then, i spend most of my ammo bringing down a single bomber.
Aim for the vital parts, IE engines.
Once you set one ablaze, just back off and watch.
It will soon explode and bring the whole plane down for sure.
No need to keep shooting every inch of the wings off, that's pointless.

Also, makse sure to close in at high speed to avoid the MGs.
Ususally, you won't have more than three seconds of a good shooting window.
Try to hit it hard, then back off fast, rinse repeat.
Soon you'll get the hang out of it.
Also, attacking from high gives you both a speed and a "blind spot" advantage on most bombers.

Have been playing flight sims all my life, but never been so challenged!
Ain't that good then?
Better than having the same experience all over again, that would definately bore me... ;)

Upvote 0
OOoooo important tip.

A tactic ive been using for a long time now is radiator micro.

I have radiatior on my joystik now and are pressing it virtually always!

Headon ? close it!

Hes on your 6 but not shooting ? open and speed away

I guess its kinda hard for noobs as your struggling just to keep in the air but dont forget radiator as much as you flap.

O and rember dont drop you flaps on take off till your at speed (they slow you down ) you will reach speed faster and when you drop them you will have all the lift you need just alot faster.

Upvote 0
Lol maybe

I have my convergence at 300-250 depending on where the cannons and mgs are located.

I find cannons on wings are the most succsessfull.

Also I find it stupid shooting at anything other than point blank.
I Mg from about 500 400 then cannon at basicly point blank.

Remember .5 on the hax range thing is actually 500m not 50m

Vrsing bombers I tend to do headons on the engines or cockpit but on lighter bombers thats stupid.

Unless im in a bf110 i tend to avoid other bombers.
Though in a bf110 i tend to park myself between 2 A25's and kill one with the read gun one with the front guns.
You get shoot to pieces but everyone on the server will fear/respect your guts/stupidity.

BF110 FTW!

EDIT: 67.106.81.125:21200 is the ip of the server me and dues are playing in at mo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know it's not related to IL2 directly, but does anyone else marvel at the uselessness of the autopilot in Pacific Fighters?

I enjoy taking off and landing my plane but in the long stretches to the action I like to leave it on auto. No matter what I do though the autopilot in PF will basically dip the nose down and gradually head for the ground shortly after I turn it on. You think, "Oh it's just heading for a lower altitude", when in reality it's heading for a wicked face plant into the ground at top speed. Or other times, like say if you're flying over New Guinea in the RAAF campaign, it will happily follow it's course right into the side of a mountain without ever thinking to go over it. Occasionally it will follow the course and stay level, but the majority of the time it's either heading into a gradual dive or flying along paying no heed to the terrain. Even in a shitty game like CFS3 the autopilot would stay level.

Is there any kind of super duper patch or tweak I can get to make it better?

Upvote 0
Reddog said:
I know it's not related to IL2 directly, but does anyone else marvel at the uselessness of the autopilot in Pacific Fighters?
Are you playing just PF or did you do the merge install to FB+AEP+PF?

Also, what version are you using, patched to the latest?
I think it's 4.04...

The AP in FP got changed somehow so it blacks out when you engage it while using time compression (which is what you'd do I figure, using the SP only to shorten those long flight times).
In the previous titles it would just speed up the game leaving everything visible.

If you do the merged install, it will stay this old-skool way.

Dunno if they didn't change it in PF standalone with a patch, though, since I always play merged (obviously, since the merged and unmerged are not compatible to each other).

Upvote 0