• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How to avoid being arrested.

Bullitt said:
here is good advice for not being arrested... don't get caught commiting crimes...

ROFL.

I'm watching the first part, the dumb**** kids just got arrested for posession.

They did the crime, now they ***** about doing the time? If the cop smelled dope (gawd, you wouldn't believe how many cars I work on that REEK of the ****), he had probable cause to search the damn car and backpack anyway.

Upvote 0
How do I prevented flamewar?

1139973549909.gif

Upvote 0
That's hilarious Onion.

I agree with rights being absolute, but when a cop sticks his head in your car and can smell the reefer... you don't think it would be reasonable for him to assume there's more in it and search for it?

Cops aren't generally a-holes like that, either, like Tak pointed out. I've been in similar situations to that (minus the dope) where I was given a warning, told to pay better attention and "have fun!" The kid was actually doing most of the stuff right, if he'd have refused the search, the cop would have just called in a supervisor, the search would have happened anyway, either based on probable cause (the smell) or maybe a warrant.

Either way, getting confrontational would have at least gotten the book thrown at him for the traffic stop, and probably wouldn't have helped with the posession rap.

- Not a laywer, not a cop, but had a lot of cops in my family and as friends, and have had MUCH personal interest in protection of my rights during a traffic stop.

Upvote 0
{YBBS}Sage said:
That's hilarious Onion.

I agree with rights being absolute, but when a cop sticks his head in your car and can smell the reefer... you don't think it would be reasonable for him to assume there's more in it and search for it?

Cops aren't generally a-holes like that, either, like Tak pointed out. I've been in similar situations to that (minus the dope) where I was given a warning, told to pay better attention and "have fun!" The kid was actually doing most of the stuff right, if he'd have refused the search, the cop would have just called in a supervisor, the search would have happened anyway, either based on probable cause (the smell) or maybe a warrant.

Either way, getting confrontational would have at least gotten the book thrown at him for the traffic stop, and probably wouldn't have helped with the posession rap.

- Not a laywer, not a cop, but had a lot of cops in my family and as friends, and have had MUCH personal interest in protection of my rights during a traffic stop.
You have a point with the smell of cannabis, but there is probably one thing stopping the officer from searching the car after smelling possible cannabis. This amounts to reasonable suspicion, but he lacks two important things for a search. A warrant and probable cause. (I hope I got this right, it's been half a year since my last Civics class)

Upvote 0
There's nothing you can do to prevent a violation of rights while the cop is there. However, if they are violated you can get your case thrown out. Just don't take a risk and get caught in a judicial loophole unless you have an affinity for violence in small confined spaces.

Also, the video tries to cover Federal laws but it obviously can't use only Federal, so some of their reasoning differs from state to state.

Upvote 0
Tak said:
First off, yeah. If you do something stupid, expect to look stupid when you get caught :p

Second, if a cop is ever that much of an ass, get his badge number and report his ass. Seriously, WTF? Dumb biased movie.

In theory I agree, but pragmatically... report him to whom? I seriously doubt his colleagues and superiors are going to take your side over his. Then again, if a guy like that got enough complaints

Upvote 0
Anubis said:
You have a point with the smell of cannabis, but there is probably one thing stopping the officer from searching the car after smelling possible cannabis. This amounts to reasonable suspicion, but he lacks two important things for a search. A warrant and probable cause. (I hope I got this right, it's been half a year since my last Civics class)

The way I remember it, the strong smell is probable cause, and in certain situations, you don't need a warrant with probable cause.

A cop smells alcohol on a driver's breath, he's got cause to search and arrest. Similar situation, yeah?

Upvote 0
Its also all up to the judge. And look at history, there's no set in stone guarantee, even the Supreme Court can be wrong. Look at cases like Plessy v. Ferguson.

The best thing to do is not to use a video from the ACLU, but to consult a good defense attourney in your area. Like all lawyers, though, it'll cost you.

Upvote 0
That Cop can kiss my arse... my Doctor says I need My Medicine. My Family Lawyer says that Facist Cop is going to be on Patrol in Alaska by the end of the week. :p

Remember Kids, USA was founded by a bunch of Aristocratic Crackas that didn't want to pay their Taxes... including this Crackas ancestors. ;)

So remember to "stick it to The Man" at least once today, it is an American Tradition. :D

Upvote 0