• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will RO be updated to Vista and DX10 ?

myzko said:
Why can't there be a DX10 for Windows XP?
read the link i posted earlyer
DX 10 depends on the new vista driver model for a lot of its features

they had to make a choice between backward compatibilatie and preformance and efficientie.
good thing for us they went for the later.

Shadowman said:
I shudder to wonder how some of the more hardware intensive games are going to run -- especially when one is running concurrently with all of Vista's hardware-intensive components.

If the OS is already using most of the memory, GPU and CPU power...what's left?
umm everything?
anything thats not needed it place in the swapfile on the HDD. if the game needs all your ram it will get all your ram (well almost)
same goes for the gfx card, when you go full screen (and who dusnt with a game) then the interface stops using the GPU and 100% of your gfx card is didicated to your game/programe.
other then that with the new DX10 it will mean less overhead so more CPU cycles available for the actual game (physics AI ect) and not for the running of the gfx sub-system.

as for it taking years befor we'll see DX10 games. i douth it.
what we will see is games that support both DX10 on vista and DX9 on XP.

as for why openGL isnt use more... well for one its runing behind, dusnt have a strickt enough standard and if you want to use some new gfx card features you need to write your own extentions and then hope they'll continue to work properly with every gfx card driver update... thats all ok if your a big company (like ID with doom3/quake4) but smaller companies will either have to stick with the antiquated standard features of openGL or use direct X.

im not anti openGL, i'd like to see it do a lot better then it is currently doing, but i just dont see that happening unless they start changing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LordKhaine said:
Six:

Windows Vista Starter
Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows Vista Ultimate

I hope they all are the same and not "tuned down" versions of the Ultimate, except you would just get more official Microsoft softwares with the more expensive packs(most of them can be really useless or you can get better 3rd party software).

Is there price for the Vista? I checked Windows XP prices and cheapest I could find was Home Edition~100€. Not happy at all, I don't like the spend lots of money for just to run OS's, and if the cheapest Vista will cost 200-300€ it can be insane, if you think what hardware you could get to run DX10 for that price.

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
i for one would like to see what vista can do, eventhou i dont really care about the aero's stuff there are a number of features that im interested in, not to mention the advantiges of vista running all the drivers in user space instead of in the kernel (bye bye driver related BSOD).

Try downloading the Vista Beta 2 release. It's free to the public.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro said:
DX 10 won't really offer any advantages to older games that do not use the DX 10 SDK (RO being an Unreal engine 2.5 game does not, and we have no plans at this time to redo the engine to do so). In fact it won't even play games older then DX 9 which it will run on a combatibility layer.

Hay I wonder who has a liscence to an engine that will support DX10? :p

Upvote 0
BobCobb said:
If you can't afford it, you could just pirate Vista. However, the Aero features are unavailble until you confirm your copy with Microsoft. Part of their anti-piracy jazz.

That is, if they ever release it in the first place.

That's bull****! "Oh yes, we wont give them this fancy looking thing unless they confirm the autheticy of the copy..."

%&)#/%(#/&!

Upvote 0
There won't be a DX10 for XP cause MS wants to shove another bloated buggy POS OS down folks throats....

Open GL isn't supported because MS has wanted to shove DX on us for years but couldn't for a number of reasons including DX just wasn't as good as Open GL...(I've used Open GL for about 15 years and it has always been the superior API) DX9 has achieved rough parity now so it's time they shove THEIR API on us so that game developers use DX exclusively and that locks computer gamers into Windows.

The MS fanboys (and girls) would want you to believe Vista and DX10 are for our own good but alas it's actually to line MS pockets with your cash....MS only true motivation...

Makes me long for my beloved Amiga!...that was a great OS...Small and compact and YOU decided what additional software you wanted (utilities, audio/video players etc.). You had choices in software that were made by many innovative companies...NOT a single entity (MS) that thinks it knows what I want from MY computing experience...MS stifles innovation and that sucks for us all!

MS should develop a stripped down version that gets you to a desktop and thats all...Then YOU decide what features YOU need and install them...I don't need an OS that includes the kitchen sink!...I want a Lean and Mean OS that's quick and responsive NOT another Bloated, Oversized, Overpriced, Cludgy and Buggy Piece of SH*T...

Ahhh... I feel better now!

My $.02 worth

Upvote 0
I agree with you Partz.

Have a 'general purpose' install that includes all the MS brand programs (that are mostly inferior to competition brands) and then have another install mode that lets me chose. Don't f'n tell me that IE is an integral part of the OS. And I'll be god damned if I'm ever going to use Outlook Express or WMP. If I don't want it, it shouldn't be on my computer! That's all we really want, MicroSoft! :p

Upvote 0
Private Partz said:
MS should develop a stripped down version that gets you to a desktop and thats all...Then YOU decide what features YOU need and install them...I don't need an OS that includes the kitchen sink!...I want a Lean and Mean OS that's quick and responsive NOT another Bloated, Oversized, Overpriced, Cludgy and Buggy Piece of SH*T...
Linux got there first, so you can bet MS will copy them eventually.

Upvote 0
fOgGy said:
Next year will be the arrival of Microsoft's new operating system "Windows Vista" and "DirectX 10" but will RO also be updated to it as well. If thats the case will we see any changes being made to the game ? maybe improved graphics ?

RO won't need updating,i can run it on Windows Vista (dx9), on an old AMD 1600mhz with 1gb pc133 memory, runs like **** of course, but it works!

Upvote 0
I have no problem with XP, in fact I think it is one of the best OS I have ever used. The only time I have ever had a serious issue with XP performance or stability wise is when there has been a major hardware issue with my system.

Compared to earlier M$ systems it is beautiful.

What annoys me about Vista is a) it's steep requirements, b) it really isn't that much of an update over XP (excluding the visual **** which I don't care about), c) the fact that it is incoporating more and more of this M$ DRM bull**** and d) the fact that it is being forced down the throats of anyone who might think about wanting to play a DX10 game in the future.

Upvote 0