• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wheres the teamwork??

ricbuchner

Jun 29, 2006
Hi,
I just bought RO thinking its a very realist FPS, with mature community, but all I could find so far is the traditional "run n' gun" so commom on other games...
I can still hear some players communicating via voip, but its not enough to promote teamwork... You never know where your mate really is (he maybe just died and is in the spawn area, etc...) so sometimes talking to him not knowing where he is is useless or frustrating...
People can say many bad things about BF2, but its squad system is very good to promote a nice squad formation.... so you can hear only your squad (good thing) theres always someone in charge (squad leader) that others can follow...
In RO I still didnt find any type of feature that designates you in a squad formation, etc... You just feel you are on your own, follow the others, get shot, respawn, follow the others, get shot, and keep going this way....
I dont feel the progress of the game, just a repetition of evnts... kinda boring.
Some might say that BF2 squad system is not suitable for RO, because its time frame (RO is a WWII, and such comm system didnt exist by that time) but people could talk to each other (we cant) so I think the best way to simulate this is via squad radio (voip only with your squad, the ones that are close toghether)...

And the respawn thing... I believe it should have the option (if not the only option) of respawning on your squad leader... So You can feel you are inserted on a team, people can behave like that when you respawn besides your squad mates....

Just my thoughts. Flame away!

Ricardo

Yes, teamwork is lacking but it's just as good, if not better in RO than in any other game. It is nearly impossible to get consistent teamwork on public servers, but if that is what you are mainly after I suggest you either join a clas or create teamwork centric mods for the game. A mutator that simply limits voip to local would go along way.

Either way, I find that most players are willing to follow a vocal and knowledgeable leader in game (especially if they are loosing), but somtimes get tripped up with directions, teminology and simple inexperience. I am continually amazed how often I (or somone else) can wip up a pathetically noobish team to score a win when I take the time and energy to explain things clearly and bark simple and direct orders.

Upvote 0
Its needs two or three vocal mature sounding people on voip to really wip up some good teamwork, if people see two or three people working together its usually spreads throughout the whole team unless they're a bunch of people only interested in fragging. So really get vocal on the voip and make friends or at least become known to the best team play players and clans interested in serious teamwork not those clans who seem more interested in chatting i've nothing against clans who do that but tbh if i want to chat about something other than winning the map or the odd game related joke i'll turn off my computer and go for a pint.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The amount of teamwork I see is variable across different servers. It is the only factor that makes me want to join a clan though.
Sometimes when I play on tank maps, every1 works together and as the tank driver helps you as a gunner to shoot etc.
Other times people go off in tanks on their own, so every1 ends up doing badly.

Upvote 0
ricbuchner said:
Hi,
I just bought RO thinking its a very realist FPS, with mature community, but all I could find so far is the traditional "run n' gun" so commom on other games...

I agree... THough the respawn on squadleader is not the best idea. Cause I would be pissed if im going to shoot a guy then 4 enemy pops out of the squadleaders ass shooting me.
But Being ABLE to make a squad in game and accept/kick members would greatly improve the game (public)... In clan gaming it would be nice to have this function when you have a tank squad and a infantry squad. May be able to voice chat with the whole team and switch to squad.

Upvote 0
Lack of teamwork makes you appreciate a lot more the times you do have good teamwork, communication, etc.

I had a lot of fun on 2Manny's server last night as the Russkies on the Barashka map. We got our butts kicked the first game due to a new guy using the commander slot. Instead of berating him, we all worked with him to help him place artillery, and were able to get him up to speed fairly quickly. Seemed like everyone on our team was communicating-- reporting where the enemy was, planning out a strategy, offering to trade slots, etc. That carried over into the next map-- StalingradKessel.

I'd like to get into some more tactical stuff-- working in 2-5 man teams using real infantry tactics, but I guess that'll require getting into a clan at some point.

Upvote 0
ricbuchner said:
Hi,
Ricardo
I would say that you have described it pretty accurate, I feel very same but my advance is that when I want to play than I play mostly with some clanmate... and than all this get a pretty strong sence... the more people you play with coordinating your progress will bring you more fun... this sometimes happen spontaneously on public but rarely somebody take good leeadership and rest of team listen and work as it is said (and it can be pretty simple as "all assembly" when attacking Kessel or... "all defend" when loosing on reinforcements... just try it yourself)

...maybe it would be helpfull to start brainstorming on this topis... find out simple orders that all can say to VOIP and all could easily memorize and use it... maybe than other not using VOIP will just try to use it when they will see some system... I know I have not "discovered America" :) I have just put this into discussion... and what I am talking about is syntax... how to say something important easy and quickly...

Upvote 0
The teamwork is found with a realism unit. You haven't experienced the glory of tankriding on Orel until you experience it with a platoon of tanks operating together using battle formations, terrain driving, sector scanning and long range gunnery.

Give it a try! Visit the SQUAD CLAN DISCUSSION forum and see the Realism Unit link there. Visit the units listed and find one that interests you.

See you on the battlefield!

Upvote 0
Use Voip!

Use Voip!

****** said:
Local VOIP doesn't seem to work. Teamwork would benefit greatly if it got fixed.

I haven't tried Local but if what you say is true it needs to be fixed....with that said....

I had not used VOIP until yesterday and I will say I won't play without it from now on!....I was on FK's infantry map server and I decided to try the in game VOIP...Several other folks (who's names I cannot remember now) were using it...We were playing Snowy Forest and Kurland Kessel and were losing everytime...(playing as Soviets)...We started talking on the TEAM channel and reporting enemy locations and devising tactics and the next thing you know we turned it around and started winning every map...It made ALL the difference and we folks on VOIP were able to motivate the rest of our team to advance and flank the enemies positions and dominate them....as good of teamwork as I've EVER seen in BF2...I then changed servers to 2Mannys and this continued with folks communicating and WINNING!...it was Great Fun!

I haven't tried the local channel but I will today and see if it works for me...

The in game VOIP is has a PUBLIC (everyone in game can hear you), TEAM (only you team can hear you), and a LOCAL channel (only people close to you can hear you) if it works...:confused:

As far as spawning on squadleaders...As we have a 32 player limit (the equivalent of 2 squads in real life I don't think that is something I would like to see in RO....(Last thing I want is a BF2 clone)...the squad feature of BF2 works well in BF2 but not here... Remember as your team has 16 players maximum this game simulates a way understrength platoon on each team and TEAM voip is good for that....IF local voip works then you could easily work with a couple folks in small groups of 2-5 and achieve your desired result...

I play many other PC games and usually use Teamspeak and also BF2's voip system (when I play it that is)... RO's voip works as well as any I've used anywhere else!

Moral of the story....GET ON VOIP!....it really does promote teamwork and it seems to work well....

Upvote 0
Teamwork on public servers is highly variable. I've had a number of very enjoyable experiences where folks really were working as a team and just as many bad experiences where there was no teamwork to be found. It helps to remember those players who do practice teamwork and seek them out.

I don't use VOIP because the negatives outweigh the positives for me. While it can certainly be a benefit when people use it to promote teamwork, people spamming the channel with pointless chatter (or worse) absolutely ruins the game for me; therefore I have permanently muted the VOIP system. I do understand that using VOIP is just about essential for team tanking, so I simply do not choose that role. I just play infantry instead.

I will use text chat and the automated voice messages, though, and most importantly I strive to be conscious of the "big picture" and try to help my team however I can. I get the most enjoyment out of helping win the round for my team. I'd honestly rather finish on the winning side and have a mediocre score than be high scorer on the losing team. While getting into the cap zone and reaping the resultant points often goes along with winning the round, there are certain situations on some maps where I will sometimes put myself in a position outside of the cap zone to cut off enemy reinforcements and help my teammates who are inside. (I'm not talking about "spawn camping," but rather about setting up a defense just outside the cap zone -- there are a couple of places when playing Russian on the Odessa map where this can be very effective, as long as there are a couple of other guys who are actually in the cap zone.) Sometimes one doesn't even need to get many kills doing this - just tying up the enemy for a little while can be enough.

I guess my point is that teamwork can exist on public servers, even without VOIP use, as long as there are a few players of like mind.

Upvote 0
Bat Guano said:
I don't use VOIP because the negatives outweigh the positives for me. While it can certainly be a benefit when people use it to promote teamwork, people spamming the channel with pointless chatter (or worse) absolutely ruins the game for me; therefore I have permanently muted the VOIP system. I do understand that using VOIP is just about essential for team tanking, so I simply do not choose that role. I just play infantry instead.

You really need to turn VOIP on. I've only had ONE experience of people spamming VOIP/using it unnecessarily since release.

Upvote 0
I have always found the level of teamwork in RO quite high, that is what drew me to the mod in the first place. Sure you get the odd guy doing his own thing, in general I think that most people who play this game try to work together to get the job done, especially the more experienced players and with the others this will come in time when they realise that you wont get anything done unless you work as a unit. One thing is for sure, if the other side is working as a unit, you are gonna get smashed bigtime.

Upvote 0
kfm said:
You just can't get pure teamwork on a public server. Because of the the players, some of them are noobs some are pro.

Some of the servers don't LIKE teamwork. 2nd SS was on one of the FK servers tonight playing in OREL. There was a full roster on each side. Our unit was all playing together with a unit 4 or 5 tanks operating together.

We were doing very well in the battle and began to hear complaints from the other people in the server that we were "stacking the teams". The numbers were even, so obviously they weren't happy we were all operating together. The complaints that it wasn't any fun to play against us were pretty nasty, so of course, some of our guys responded in kind.

Next thing you know we get booted, as a group, and banned from the server. For being good at fighting as a team? Thanks for the compliment, FK! You know where you can insert your servers. Sideways!

Upvote 0