• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Machine Gun, Belt Extending suggestion

Zoring

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
Got an idea to make the MG42 (and 34 if you let us use a belt eventually) more useful, as it is we only get a 100 round belt on the MG42, which you burn through in about 5 seconds (literally) therefore what i propose is the ability to clip on extra 50 round belts to expand your MG belt.

As we know German MG belts came in 50 round links, these links could be joined together to make it larger, as it is 100 rounds is probably what could be used by one man, however if an MG'er is able to set up, click the 'change fire mode' button and then add an extra 50 round belt to his MG that would make it far more useful.

The downside to doing this, if you move after you add 50 rounds, theres a chance that your gun can jam because the belt gets twisted. If you add 100 rounds and have a 200 round belt, you can't move because it's too much too handle for one guy. I imagine 200 to be the limit of attaching.

Of course it'd be difficult to get the idea on how to do this to the noobs (changing the MG barrel is difficult enough to explain) but for the more experienced players it would be a valuable edition.

Also it would give the Germans enough bullets to compete with weapons like the Maxim 1910 once they get it (eh, devs :D)

200? What are you talking about, AFAIK you can link endlessly(even tho it might "jam" sooner or later).

As long as you're STATIONARY I think we should be able to clip all 400 rounds. If you move, you lose the ammo or have it broken apart.

This would be very useful when you're in a very strategic position and you have teammates resupplying you from all over, also, it would be nice if we could carry more than 1 spare barrel, maybe we be resupplied 1 more barrel by a teammate or something.

5 seconds of firing is nothing. belt-linking was done in combat.. that was the whole point of ammo belts.

Upvote 0
kabex said:
200? What are you talking about, AFAIK you can link endlessly(even tho it might "jam" sooner or later).

As long as you're STATIONARY I think we should be able to clip all 400 rounds. If you move, you lose the ammo or have it broken apart.

This would be very useful when you're in a very strategic position and you have teammates resupplying you from all over, also, it would be nice if we could carry more than 1 spare barrel, maybe we be resupplied 1 more barrel by a teammate or something.

5 seconds of firing is nothing. belt-linking was done in combat.. that was the whole point of ammo belts.

I know that, i was thinking 200 in terms of gameplay balancing mechanics and so on. You can't give the Germans a too huge advantage.

This link adding would also make the barrel change button so more useful

Upvote 0
Zoring said:
I know that, i was thinking 200 in terms of gameplay balancing mechanics and so on. You can't give the Germans a too huge advantage.

This link adding would also make the barrel change button so more useful
"Advantage"? Makes no sense... it's realistic.

It's like a Papasha Vs MP40... the papasha has 71 rounds! That's cheating. :(

Not really. It'd be very nice to see an MG42 with 400 rounds loaded... oh yes.

Upvote 0
it would be great if a machinegunner that has his gun set up will be able to start linking his belts together using perhaps the activate/use key. this way, instead of reloading, when his ammo on his current belt is running low, he can simply attach another belt. the disadvantage of this would have to be that his mg42 + belts would end up being too heavy to carry with him if he needs to leave his post (e.g. run fer yer life!) so if he picks up his mg to leave, he will leave behind on the floor any additional belts beyond the first 2 that are connected to his gun at the time.

we should also add in the feature whereby another friendly soldier (any type) who is next to the machinegunner can also use his activiate/use key to link belts for him while he's firing, so he can fire continuously or until his barrel melts

Upvote 0
DudeWheresMyTank said:
we should also add in the feature whereby another friendly soldier (any type) who is next to the machinegunner can also use his activiate/use key to link belts for him while he's firing, so he can fire continuously or until his barrel melts

That's a good idea, you don't need to have a 'loader' class or anything, but anyone nearby can use the additional ammo their carrying and clip it on whilst the gunner is not firing, promote teamplay and all.

I'm sure some people (clan people espescially) will happily become dedicated loader/assistent people too.

Upvote 0
With the machineguns being how they are in this game, this idea makes no sense. When I machinegun I am constantly redeploying in different places. If you set up one spot and camp there then you're going to get shot in the head from half a mile away by someone with a rifle.

I constantly relocate in the game to avoid getting notorious on the battlefield and thusly shot at.

Having linked belts would be good if the machinegun were a suppressive weapon like it is in real life. However in RO it is a totally different weapon and linked belts you cannot take with you would be useless.

Remember, you can have a machinegun belt a mile long, but it won't help you against that one opprotunistic russian rifleman and his single boltaction bullet.

Upvote 0
"as it is we only get a 100 round belt on the MG42, which you burn through in about 5 seconds (literally)"

If that's the case than it's a training issue as you should be using very short bursts with the MG in particular when in bipod mode.

However, perhaps someone who has ammo to give can lay down beside a deployed gunner and press G and or the use key to link ammo for the gunner? But keep in mind in RL it takes a little while to link belts togther so it's not something you just dio with a simple tap of the key and then off you go.

I'd rather see them make an assistant gunner class that carries a tripod. He puts it down, and then the gunner deploys on that and then you have a real MG position.

Los

Upvote 0
Los said:
"as it is we only get a 100 round belt on the MG42, which you burn through in about 5 seconds (literally)"

If that's the case than it's a training issue as you should be using very short bursts with the MG in particular when in bipod mode.

except the german mgs' recoil is fubar when fired in bursts. you only get a steady gun to aim with if you fire continuously

Upvote 0