• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

refresh ironsights after bolting please...

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
I was thinking that its very annoying that after you shoot with the bolt action, and then you bolt, the ironsights are not fresh, so the gun moves too much... that makes you deactivate the sights and activate them again to refresh them... but, shouldnt this be done automatically when bolting? maybe you are in ironsight mode, but you are not really aiming...

I dont know if you get my point, what I say is that it feels bad to deactivate and activate again the sights just after bolting only because the time you spend bolting counts as time in ironsight mode

Don't agree.

In fact, I'd like to see settling time for IS, so that it isn't 100% corretcly aligned after pressing the button, but rather half a sec to a sec later (dependant on stamina), then is steady for another sec ro two (also depending on the stamina), and then starts to increase swaying. This should be repeated after every time you cycle the bolt.

Upvote 0
that would be a good option, but you are talking about a diferent thing, Im not saying I want it more arcadey (thats what I think that you understood while reading my post), Im saying I want that the bolt usage count as new IS, because having to do both in a row "bolt and IS" is really annoying... and unrealistic...

I think that in RL you don't do the following... bolt, aim, un-aim, aim again, right?

why those 2 actions if the first one should count as the second one?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but after you bolt, your weapon moves a lot, because, the time you spend bolting, counts as if you were using the sights, so, after you bolt, you realize that it moves too much, and then you have to deactivate the sights and activate them again so the weapon stops moving...

the problem is that bolting counts as ironsight mode without interruptions, when it should refresh the ironsights instead

Upvote 0
omg, another one that does not understand anything about what I say, I can't blame you, english is not my main language and this is a bit dificult to explain, but I think I said it very clear...

another example of what I say, you can try this at home... =P

turn on ironsights

shoot

dont use the bolt

turn off ironsight

turn it on again (the gun doesnt have a loaded bullet, so it stays in a side, so you are not really using the ironsights)

you will notice that the weapon will move like if you were aiming, but you are NOT aiming!

now, you use the bolt, and then it automatically turns on the ironsights...

now the weapon moves like crazy, so its impossible to do anything without refreshing the ironsights...

the question is... if you are not aiming, why should it count as if you were aiming?, why force you to refresh the ironsights after bolting, instead of doing it automatically?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
I did understand what you were suggesting. I was just adding another dimention to it. Generally, perfectly steady aim after raising your gun isn't very realistic, so I'd rather not have it like this after bolting ;)
who said perfectly steady aiming?? noone

I just said that bolting should reset the ironsight as if you were activating/deactivating them...
setting time to get used to the sights is a diferent thing, and im in favour of doing that, but..., after bolting, that wont happen, it will never EVER be steady untill you do the ironsight thing again, well... then why does the machine bring up the sights after bolting if you have to do it anyway?, to waste time?

cmon, Im talking about how much time wastes to do both actions together, Its really annoying,

you want more realistic sights system? perfect, I want that too, and it has nothing to do about what I'm saying

you also said the same thing I said, because you said, "it should happen every bolt cycle", but in the game we play now, bolt cycles does not affect swaying at all...

it would be fine that after you bolt or use sights in general it takes time to get used to the sights like you said... but that way at least you would get used to it without having to do all the ironsight dancing crap after you bolt. it would still be much better than the system we have now

bolting is counted as 1 action, thats divided in 3 other actions... that are
unironsight, bolt, ironsight

then why that doesnt reset the swaying, and you have to do unironsight and ironsight again... its meaningless that the same actions have diferent results

in rl , you aim, shoot, then you bolt the rifle, and when you are ready, you aim again
in the game, you bolt, and then you aim automatically without being ready at all, so you have to do all the crap ive already said like 20 times

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When you aim down for a long time lets say 30 seconds you get an irregular sway. Thats all ok then you shoot and press the bolt button. You automatically see your weapon being lowered and see the bolting then you automatically get back to ironsight mode with thesame sway from when you shot. This is odd since you actually just ligned up your sight again.

Afcourse the best would be a set up time for weapons where you correctly align the ironsights. But thats something different. Its just weird that it continue counting the sway even though you put down your weapon bolted. (i'd personally prefer not to go back to ironsight again after the bolt we can do that on ourself i'd rather have the ability to hide behind cover. Because if you press the bolt key when you were in ironsight you remain in the raised shooting position instead of lowering your figure behind that sandbag.

Upvote 0
I agree with Federov, but I will also point out that the sway itself is not very realistic and quite irritating. It's probably the gamiest aspect of RO. Ever fire a real gun? It might get heavy holding it up, but not after half a second. And then when it does, it won't drift ten or fifteen degrees off target and then sway back and forth unless you've been drinking way too much. What you should see through your sites when tired is a tiny, fairly rapid shaking of the sights, not a drunken sway.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
I agree with Federov, but I will also point out that the sway itself is not very realistic and quite irritating. It's probably the gamiest aspect of RO. Ever fire a real gun? It might get heavy holding it up, but not after half a second. And then when it does, it won't drift ten or fifteen degrees off target and then sway back and forth unless you've been drinking way too much. What you should see through your sites when tired is a tiny, fairly rapid shaking of the sights, not a drunken sway.

Amen! I've always had a slight problem with this, but, I figure they tried their best and it's also a minor issue in the "realism" persuit that they could focus on later; while the other issues are taken care of.

Yet, I agree. You don't, "Drunken Sway" when looking through the Ironsights of a weapon. If anything, you lose the "alingment" of your peep and post (much like when moving). Your muscles jerk and spaz a bit, but, they don't sway smoothly.

{WP}Paas

Upvote 0
Fedorov said:
omg, another one that does not understand anything about what I say, I can't blame you, english is not my main language and this is a bit dificult to explain, but I think I said it very clear...

another example of what I say, you can try this at home... =P

turn on ironsights

shoot

dont use the bolt

turn off ironsight

turn it on again (the gun doesnt have a loaded bullet, so it stays in a side, so you are not really using the ironsights)

you will notice that the weapon will move like if you were aiming, but you are NOT aiming!

now, you use the bolt, and then it automatically turns on the ironsights...

now the weapon moves like crazy, so its impossible to do anything without refreshing the ironsights...

the question is... if you are not aiming, why should it count as if you were aiming?, why force you to refresh the ironsights after bolting, instead of doing it automatically?

Upvote 0
Comrade Wasabi said:
1: You don't want to automatically go back to ironsights after bolting.
2: You want bolting to reset the sway the same way that going out of ironsights and going back in will.

A third option that would work as well would be to allow the player to untoggle IS while a bolting animation is occuring. IS toggle routine does not seem to be on "listen" mode during that time (ie ignores you hitting that key until return to iron sights is completed.

keystrokes:

fire
untoggle IS
bolt
toggle IS

is the only way to do it now. Would be nice if that second step could be done while the avatar is bolting.

Upvote 0