• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

that lame hull gun

Moz

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
You know, that crappy hullgun no one likes to use?

Sometimes its kinda silly how nearly NONE of the tanks have it actually used.

Historically you'd NEVER encounter a tank that didn't have its hull gun manned. But its a thankless job that no one wants to do.

An AI operated hull gun. It automatically shots at infantry in range. Maybe give the driver the ablitity to toggle "hold fire / open fire" with the deloy key.

Another lame jobs could be filled by bots that are currently held by invisible people. Like that guy in the 2nd seat of the half track. Or the loader on the SU-76. Maybe if were ever get to see AT guns or maxims, the bots can do all the lame boring jobs aswell.

Bots do not forgive, and they don't feel pain.

Lame? I guess if killing enemies coming out of the woodwork trying to faust/satchel or PTRD your tank is lame then it must be. It's a great way to help keep you and your crews tank alive and help your infantry out big time. Of course I play for the team I'm on to win, not to marvel at how many tanks I killed. Survivability rate immediately goes up with a hull MG'r (unless you're in a big flat clear area with no infantry to worry about).

Upvote 0
Moz said:
You know, that crappy hullgun no one likes to use?

Sometimes its kinda silly how nearly NONE of the tanks have it actually used.

Historically you'd NEVER encounter a tank that didn't have its hull gun manned. But its a thankless job that no one wants to do.

I often play as a machinegunner, and I never get mates to help me out setting it up as it says in the tooltip:p how about 2 AI players run along side me and protect me:D

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
The backside MG was controlled by the loader IIRC, and thus, as the loader is not "playable", it is not usable in game.

That's kind of a copout, since in our game the Commander and Gunner are controlled from the same position, which is not historically correct.

Personally, I'd rather they split the positions up compeletely, but considering the smallness of our games (only 32 players), that would make tank maps extremly small.

Upvote 0
I often use the hull gun. Either as a dedicated MG gunner or as a driver. On Konigsplatz I will drive the tank with a gunner up the right side of the map, through the trench, until we reach the building and pull up for an overview of the field. From there we have flanking shots on almost all soviet armor and can see the whole strech of map North to South. Jump into the Bow MG and suddenly the Soviet rush on the Seigeslausse (sp?) is brought to a standstill. My best run is well over 15 infantry trying to cross that open ground, and the turret was adding to the carnage.

Even on Arad there are spots where that bow MG can really clean up. For the Germans you can park a tank facing east on the north side of the river near the front of the tow. The turret can clean up on sov tanks crossing the river and the bow MG will eat any sov infatry trying to sneak up on the tank for lunch. Even the lowly Pz IV can shine here as you are getting all side and rear shots on Sov tanks and the MG from the IV is just as good as the MG on the Tiger or Panther when it comes to killing infantry.

Finally, nothing supresses infantry like the bow and turret MG aided by HE fire.

Upvote 0
On Konig you should actually have a dedicated hull gunner. Because of teh slow Traverse rate, you need somebody in the driver position at all times, and somebody in the gunner position at all times. Furthermore, the Hull gunner has more anti-inf power on the tiger than the gunner (again mainly because of slow traverse. On the Russian tanks I prefer the gunner mgs, but hull mgs are alright.) So in Konig, there should always be 3 man tank crews (where the least experienced player is the hull gunner imo)

For the T34, its less vital, but a 2 man crew with driver switching to hull gunner is a good idea. Same with all 2 man crews (except IS2 and T60 for obvious reasons.)

Upvote 0
The hull MG on Konigsplatz is da bomb ...

Me and another clan operated the Tiger and we had the most points(after 2 rounds) of just under 100 that included maybe 4 caps. But, if it were not for me we would have not made it past 50. I swear I was ankle deep in 7.92mm shell casings by the end of the slaughter Amazingly I ran out of ammo only once. The Ruskies just kept coming ... and coming ... in waves ... and I just kept shooting ... watching as bodies were hitting the floor. It was absolutely unbelievable! It definitely ranks as one of my best memories/game play experiences with ROO.

So I say no to AI hull MGers.
:D

Upvote 0