• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

iron sights: a rethinking

zeroethics

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006
IMHO the iron sights animation should show part of the stock and at the very least the trigger hand. I really think that this will offer a better perspective and "feel" while in iron sights. Aside from the fact that this would be more realistic, as that is how it looks when you are aiming down the sights of a weapon, it would also cure the stunted appearance and feel as it is currently animated.
I've been tooling around with this idea since back in the day with the mod. In previous posts about this I recieved positive and negative feed back. I have really put a lot of thought into the topic and would like to start a discussion about it, hoping to catch the devs attention here. I know this would take a lot of recoding and therefore it is highly unlikely that the devs will decide to alter it now but it's worth a shot. I have even done some concept art that I would like to post.

No, I'm talking about moving it forward so that more of the rifle is within the FOV. Although I don't think it's neccesary to move it forward, the portions of the rifle( trigger hand and stock) could simply be superimposed over the already existing animations. I would like to see it moved forward (reduced in size)*slightly* so that the perspective is elongated.

Upvote 0
Curious, how do you aim with both eyes open? wouldn't you see either one target and two ironsights or one ironsights and two targets? Or do you just practise a lot?

I've not used a gun, so I can't comment on which is more realistic, but I can picture having it a little closer working. Also the normal camera, when yoiu're walking or sprinting, could be re-alined (imo). Someone likened it to looking out of your chest rather than your eyes, because of how high up the gun and your hands are.

Upvote 0
Varsity said:
I wouldn't try to paint questioning an idea as going OT if I were you.

I have no problems with questioning the suggestion, but the matter of one eye closed or open is off topic as it doesn't conflict with or even effect at all the suggestion as I proposed it.

In regards to the amount of work and time this alteration would take, I had mentioned that as a pretext and how that makes it highly unlikely that it would be included. However, I still think that it's important as this is simply what is in the FOV and therefore would make it realistic. I really think this drastically improves perspective , although it wouldn't b e a drastic visual difference.

Upvote 0
sammy said:
If you are right handed, turn your head to the right. Left handed, turn your head to the left. hold your hand up like you are holding a pistol, and do what I said above and you'll see.[/quote]

That doesn't seem to make any difference, what if you're neither right nor left handed? (sorry to go off-topic, but I've never understood how on earth it's possible to shoot with two eyes open)

Upvote 0
MrBunsy said:
Curious, how do you aim with both eyes open? wouldn't you see either one target and two ironsights or one ironsights and two targets? Or do you just practise a lot?

Practice focusing on something like your finger infront of you but make an effort to use one eye while both are open. When you think you have it close your "off" eye and see if the object moves. If it does it means you were at least partially using your off eye to focus on the target. In time you will be able to focus your right eye on an object, close the left, and not see the object shift.

With a gun you will focus on the front sight while letting the target and rear sight blur. Try to keep the rear sight dfocused int he center of the target while also having it centerred in the blurred rear sight.

The off eye still "sees" but it isn't focussed. This allows you to at least be a ltittle aware of what is going on around you.

Upvote 0
Well it's like this. Hold your hand in front of you and pretend you are aiming at something (make sure it's in your home or someone will call the cops :p). You will see that the object you are aiming at is doubled, or your hand is doubled. Now, assuming you are using your right hand, keep your eyes on the object you are looking at and turn your head to the right. Your vision will now be cleared.

I've never shot a gun in my life or know anything about them, but this is what I see in movies, and it makes sense.

Upvote 0
Musketeer said:
Practice focusing on something like your finger infront of you but make an effort to use one eye while both are open. When you think you have it close your "off" eye and see if the object moves. If it does it means you were at least partially using your off eye to focus on the target. In time you will be able to focus your right eye on an object, close the left, and not see the object shift.

With a gun you will focus on the front sight while letting the target and rear sight blur. Try to keep the rear sight dfocused int he center of the target while also having it centerred in the blurred rear sight.

The off eye still "sees" but it isn't focussed. This allows you to at least be a ltittle aware of what is going on around you.
That makes sense, but I find it impossible.
sammy said:
Now, assuming you are using your right hand, keep your eyes on the object you are looking at and turn your head to the right. Your vision will now be cleared.
Isn't that just because your nose gets in the way?

zeroethics said:
I don't want to start a flame war here but this thread is not about one eye or two being open. The topic I posted is about showing the trigger hand and part of the stock in the iron sights animations.
Alright , alright. But this hasn't got it's own topic and we've pretty much finished now anyway.

Upvote 0