• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gunners view?

HansGering

Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2006
Ive just read a book about the Battle for Finland and in one prase it was said:

"A squadron of KV1 tanks smashed through the mannerheim line. and into the streets of the village of suma. But the brakethrough was quickly sealed off. Finnish infantry swarmed over the roofs of the houses, jumping on the tops of the tanks and fiered their suomis through the drivers vision slid. WHile others drenched the KVs with molotow cocktails."

so my points is. ive never manuaged to shoot a tank driver with my Mp40, nor the PPSh. so is it impossible to do this ingame? or am i just a n00b who cant hit anything?

anyway, how about making it possible to do this?

The tanks have armored glass AFAIK, unless the driver is turned out(removed the cover and unbuttoned, poked his head out etc) you can't pierce the glass with normal bullets.

You could pierce the armored glass with anti-tank rifles and "snipe" the driver, AFAIK. That's still done today I think(with AP .50cal, altho not versus tanks but helos and armored vehicles and the like).

Upvote 0
Some tanks had armored glass, others did not.

I'm relatively certain that all of the German tanks had armored glass. Maybe not the PZI or II or the 38T, but certainly everything after that. Halftracks almost certainly did NOT have armored glass. This is one reason why the movie "Saving Private Ryan" was annoying to me. There's a scene where a bunch of Americans swarm a Tiger tank and spay their SMG's in the driver's slit. Totally ahistoric and misleading to the average joe.

I have no idea on the Russian tanks. The IS-2 appears to from the model we have in game.

Upvote 0
Most tanks had prisms that the driver looked through to drive the tank in combat situations. By shooting the exposed part of this prism you would be firing well above the drivers head. Because these prisms were shot at by snipers and riflemen the tank crew had spares that they would change once they got into the clear.

Upvote 0
Rameusb5 said:
the movie "Saving Private Ryan" was annoying to me. There's a scene where a bunch of Americans swarm a Tiger tank and spay their SMG's in the driver's slit. Totally ahistoric and misleading to the average joe.
AFAIK there wasn't even a Tiger in that battle/region(I read this in another ww2 forum under an SPR thread). SPR is a hollywood movie, it shouldn't be taken seriously.

Upvote 0
[tR]Mad Mac said:
I dont know about all, but some tanks had armored glass in the portholes.
I'd imagine ALL tanks by the start of the Russian front had armoured glass, and most had it long before. I've only heard of a few tanks that lacked armoured glass (Ha-go and other crappy Japanese tanks). And the armoured glass was typically very heavy duty and many inches thick. No-way would would any small arm round penetrate the armoured vision slit of a tank. In fact I'd bet even the PTRD couldn't penetrate the vision slit on medium/heavy tanks.

Pretty sure even the APC's would've had armoured glass, it was used on a massive scale during ww2. Its main drawback was its weight.. which is hardly a issue on a tank/apc!

Upvote 0
kabex said:
AFAIK there wasn't even a Tiger in that battle/region(I read this in another ww2 forum under an SPR thread). SPR is a hollywood movie, it shouldn't be taken seriously.

The tanks used in that final scene, in fact, where not even Tigers, but T-34's dressed up to look like a Tiger. It is quite convincing though.

If a enemy can shoot through this slit, then why can't the tank crew shoot out of it with there pistol?

Upvote 0
Tonym81 said:
The tanks used in that final scene, in fact, where not even Tigers, but T-34's dressed up to look like a Tiger. It is quite convincing though.

If a enemy can shoot through this slit, then why can't the tank crew shoot out of it with there pistol?

Except for the turret. That turret is just hilariously placed for a tiger :F

Upvote 0
AFAIK, there isn't today one running example of a Tiger tank. I believe some brits are restoring one.

This is why you will NEVER see a REAL Tiger tank in a movie unless it is CGI (and let's hope it doesn't come to that).

Personally, I can live with the mockups they've been using. It's much better than what they used to do (which is take modern American tanks and paint swasticas on them, like in the movie Patton).

Upvote 0
AFAIK, there isn't today one running example of a Tiger tank. I believe some brits are restoring one.

Pretty much correct. The Tank Museum at Bovington has a restored Tiger which ran in the 2004 Tankfest, but it certainly wouldn't cover any great distance. I don't think it's certain yet if it will run this year because of ongoing engine problems.

http://www.tankmuseum.co.uk/home.html

As regards the vision slits, I sat in the turret of a Pz III (again at Bovington) and the 360 degree vision slits below the turret cupola did not have glass protection. However, the size of the slits could be adjusted (they had something like a "letterbox flap" arrangement) from wide, to narrow (too small for a bullet) to completely closed.

Upvote 0