• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flamethrowers and mortars

Flamethrowers would be great to clear bunkers and trenches.

As someone said, the mortars are already on some maps but not usable.

I think there should be a mortar class which consits of two soldiers.
One carries the portable mortar and the other one binoculars and and some basic gear like a rifle or sub.

Now one soldier must spot the enemy location (distance/direction) with the binoculars and the other one has to translate that in the correct angle of the mortar.
With the next weapon key, the mortarsoldier could stand up (leave his cover behind the mortar) and could look whats going on this way. Similar to the MG on the russian car.

Another really needed thing is the PAK cannon. There are some on Barashka.
Again two ppl, should team up to work this thing. It would be only moveable by two soldiers and fireable by two.
One fires the other one reloads. Of course you see how the shell gets into the PAK in finest first person. :D

Oh man... there are so many nice things which could show up in ROO.

I hope the devs are still into the game.

Upvote 0
So, the light mortar is the weapon I most want to see introduced into RO:Ost. This thread has all the posts. Flamethrowers? Yeah, fun, but not an everyday infantry weapon. Mortar? Everyday infantry weapon. Not used in real life after some date in 1944? Who cares. It's a game.

Specifications for the game: Make the mortars about 2 x one hand grenade in HE power and give 'em ranges of a minimum 30 meters (about 185 UU's?) and a maximum of 400 meters (about 20,000 UU's?). Crew of one - mortar and five to ten rounds - with reloads from other members of the same side, just like the LMGs with a point bonus for doing so; reloads from infantry supply points. Spawns as being carried by the gunner, who has a pistol or SMG and a pair of binoculars for targeting. Don't draw a line, but give a mark on the overhead objectives map with a range estimate, because range is the hardest to estimate in-game. Fire by "primary weapon fire" key; change direction and range with up-and-down, left-and-right arrow keys like tank guns. No changes to postures: allow standing, crouching, prone; either crouch or prone for firing. No running even standing, but allow sprinting with faster exhaustion. Animations of carrying, adjusting range/direction, and firing. Use the smallest artillery impact or two hand grenades together as the animation for impact and effects. "K.I.S.S."

I'm going to work on a mod which includes these, although I don't believe that I have the expertise to actually add them, including all effects, into a mod. We'll see, once the SDK comes out. :D

Upvote 0
Flamethrowers were not issued in regular, plain Jane, infantry units; they were issued to and used by engineers or pioneers or sappers .. whatever that army called it's combat engineers. I agree that they're "n33t and l33t" :p but this particular game seems to me to be more about "realism" than about those things.

If you wanna made a mod or mutator (someone explain the difference to me, will ya? :confused: ) to add flame throwers, more power to ya, friend.

For me, though, light mortars are where it's at for RO:O.

Upvote 0
The flamethrower on CoD UO was just used by noobs who couldn't get a kill any other way. In a game Like RO where shooting takes practice & skill this would be a real bad idea & a total noob weapon. The same people used it everytime & never used another weapon as they were all about coming 1st but didn't have the skill to do it. Please don't bring the RO skill level down to CoD. It's what makes it such an outstanding game.
Cheers
Rob

Upvote 0
Ike said:
So, the light mortar is the weapon I most want to see introduced into RO:Ost. This thread has all the posts. Flamethrowers? Yeah, fun, but not an everyday infantry weapon. Mortar? Everyday infantry weapon. Not used in real life after some date in 1944? Who cares. It's a game.

erm wrong .. mortars were used in nam, and i beleive they are also still used today....

Upvote 0
The point I was trying to make with the remark, "...not used after some time in 1944 ..." wasn't that mortars weren't used any more. The 5 cm/50 mm light mortars from this war as used by these armies were taken out of service some time in 1944, as Nebfer said in his post of 2-23-06 in this thread. And that remark was a reply to his historically correct observation. Not all mortars. Mortars are still in use, and yes, mortars were used in the Vietnam War; don't have to tell me, 'cause the last (I hope!) bit of mortar shrapnel just worked its way out of my left thigh two years ago this February past. Let me try again.

Even though the 5 cm/50 mm mortars that I would like to see implemented in this game were - in real life - not used after some date in 1944, I don't care, because it's a damned game and we can use them for another year or thereabouts and it don't matter. How's that? Clear enough? By the way, I'm a guy and if you jokers knew some history, you'd know that "Ike" was General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower's - later President of the United States Dwight David Eisenhower - nickname. And if you don't know who General Eisenhower was, get a book ... sorry, go to the Wikipedia and look him up. :p

Geeze kids!!! I swear!!! :mad:

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that the German 50mm mortar is direct lay (High angle) only Not indirect fire, not that it can't be made to do so with a little swag but that was not it's intended use. So it would function more like a rifle grenade but with more umpf and range.

Nightfire: "And u light someone on fire, and in order for the fire to go out u got to sprint in order for the fire to go out." Jeez nightfire I hope you never catch on fire sprinting would only make the flames burn brighter. You must have slept through that class? ;) Drop and roll baby!
Los

Upvote 0
mortars mustn't be. but flamethrowers are realy important. a new class for the germans "Flammenwerfer-Einheit" with the choosable weapons FW-39 and FW-44 ( but this one only in maps '44 and up). Please put it in in a patch, mabe the next one!

EDIT: im not sure if the russian had one, but if, put it also in. maybe a class wich is called "Ekipzah Flamka" xD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mortars, Flamethrowers, and Other Assorted Goodies

Mortars, Flamethrowers, and Other Assorted Goodies

I think that light mortars can be implemented in the game adding to the game and the tactical environment too. This is a re-hash of something I posted over at the Steam forums, so some of you may have already read this. Etc., etc. -

Morters would be cool to model in-game, except for playability maybe a Player could take a 'mortarman' positin and automatically be assigned two bots to be the 'pack mules' and do all the relatively low-key stuff that mortars do to fire (load, prep rounds, etc.). The Player could actually 'key in' angle and elevation (similar to the way tankers have to eyeball ranges) and a spotter could help walk him onto the target. (When

Note that a mortar team would almost from necessity need a halftrack- something the Russians currently lack (a Klown Kar doesn't fit the bill)- for transport, unless they want to hump that mortar on foot from the rear spawn up to the Ruins on the Orel map! Do give them a mix of HE and Smoke rounds, though- that would be a nice (and correct!) addition.

Thought #2: I think I saw somehwere that AT guns were going to be added along the way- is this true? If so, perhaps the same could apply to them with regard to bots being 'part of the furniture' when you get a gun. (They wouldn't do anything that really affects the game, more for visual effect). The Player would still have to lay and fire the AT gun, just like a tank's main gun with the 'ghost loader' in the turret doing the reloading.

Also, limit the number of in-game rounds a mortar Player or AT Gun Player (not the weapon itself) can fire in the course of the battle.

Thought #3: Flamethrowers. An earlier response noted that FT napalm sticks and burns, which might create problems with map meshes and such. Elegant solution: don't make the FT napalm stick! A lot of flamethrowers used a thinner mixture that made for a huge belch of flame, but not much stickiness; once the initial flame damage was done, it burned out relatively quickly. In-game, perhaps once a FT blasts a target, that target is pretty much wasted (if it's a destructible mesh lke players, tanks, etc.) but if it's non-destructible just let the flames burn for a while and eventually go out, leaving a smoke collumn only (but buildings and such still standing and usable. I can see this use of FT as being more of a quick-kill item and a short-term area denial item, but not as a major player in-game.

A side-note: if FT carriers get shot in the front, regular wounds- if they get shot in the back or side, instant fireball and death. And make them as heavy to carry as an MG, too.

Thought #4: RANGE FINDERS for tanks. Nearly every one of them had them, especially German tanks with their excellent optics and such. Tie a button to a range-finder (say, to the nearest hundred meters or so, based on what the gun cross-hairs are laid on) and give the Player the option to 'dial in' that range, or go by his best judgement. This obviously has a much better function on large maps, but it would very well model the long-range capability of German guns. Note that Tigers, in particular, were best suited for engaging tanks at a distance; in-game their vision is no better than any other tank. In-game, even binoculars have more magnification than gun sights!

On a side note, perhaps these range-finders could be part of the potential damage-able items on a tank due to hits, just like for engine and track hits.

Thought #5: Skins for troops. Not necessarily a thing for stock RO to use, but maybe some whiz kid out there could come up with a skin for, say, German Paratroops- or FEMALE Russian troops? Maybe this could be a mod available on some maps, or included 'standard' for certain battle scenarios. Maybe the same for vehicles? On Arad, for instance, German vehicles are SO much more visible due to the yellow paint scheme- in the field they would have been camo'd up to hide better. I'm sure Clans/Teams might want to adopt a particular 'uniform' at some point, if it can be supported in-game.

Thought #6: to balance out the mortar situation (with regard to transport not being currently available to the Russians), how about offesetting them with having 'Commissars' available? For each 'Commissar' give them a standard number of bots (maybe 5-8) who act on basic commands just as bot tankers do: follow me, attack front, take cover (go prone), etc. And don't make them mindless shooters, either, make them a challenge- but when the Commissar gets killed, the bots go away to return at the spawn point with him- and limit the number he can spawn with during the battle.

Thought #7: Tank riders- give troops the option to ride ON a tank (but be more vulnerable to enemy fire), and allow them to shoot from a halftrack. And PLEASE give the halftrack 'commander' the option to look OVER the MG mount, not just through it.

Thought #8: Tags for vehicles. Most, if not all, tactical combat vehicles (especially German) had tactical markers on them to denote that particular vehicle's identifier. In lieu of this, how about having an option to 'turn on' Player names over a vehicle, designating who is occupying it as the vehicle commander (or if none, the driver). The Player name could be visible at close range, but less so as distance increases. For Leaders (designated Tank Commanders or Squad Leaders ONLY) how about giving them friendly troop locations on their HUD map? This would enable them to be real leaders in the field, as opposed to being reduced to artillery runners.

Thought #9: Air Support. How cool would it be to have the ability to call for fire on a target and have graphics of Sturmoviks or Stukas overhead, dive-bombing or strafing a target area? Of course, I'm not talking about adding AIRCRAFT to the available vehicles to be crewed, just maybe a graphic mod to add to the atmosphere of the game? Even some low level-flying Heinkels or Lend-Lease Mitchells would be cool to see overhead (unless you're the target)!

Thought #10: Civilian bots. How about some random civilians running about in Stalingrad or some of the villages on various maps? Not many, of course, but just enough to add even more realism to an already awesome game...

That's about it for now... if I can ever learn how to model this kind of stuff maybe I'll give it a shot. Until then, if any of you modders out there know how to do it and are interested, please steal these ideas and go for it! I have NO IDEA how hard this stuff will be to get done, but it would all add som egreat atmosphere to the game.

KR

Upvote 0