• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Attempt at Making RO Playable

lATENT_c

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan, USA
It's impossible to keep playing this game with all the problems I have with it. I know there's supposed to be a big patch on the way, so I'll wait at least until then. But if RO were a car, I'd have it towed back to the dealership and demand a refund.

I've spent as much time troubleshooting the game as playing it. Not that I mind helping, but I normally don't pay someone $ to let me.

I have tweaked, optimized, and followed every piece of advice for making RO playable, and some of it worked... for about a week.

Sorry for the laundry list of complaints, but I don't want to go to every thread and post "I have this problem too".

1. I have to start RO twice every time because I can't get it to load D3D9 as default engine, and I have to change modes.

2. It takes me 5 minutes to load the game.

3. It takes me 5 minutes to load new maps.

4. After the map loads, I have HORRIBLE net lag and graphics lag for at least a couple minutes thereafter.

5. I get 10 FPS regularly, even when I set the in-game graphics settings to their lowest. If there are no actors on screen, it sometimes jumps to around 30 FPS.

6. I experience numerous game bugs w/ vehicles, weapons, and map exploits.

7. Sometimes RO makes my computer reboot without warning... It makes my computer reboot without warning!!!

8. Sometimes tanks appear without turrets, and other times, the turret graphic on the HUD showing which way the turret faces is simply gone. Also gone is any indication of whether I have a crewmember in said turret.

9. Sometimes I get shot or something, and I die, but I don't see anywhere who or what killed me - Not in the kill tracker on screen, not in the record in the console either.

10. I have also seen and conquered the 'game unavailable' bug, and another bug which made me pause in place at regular intervals for the whole game.

I believe you will see below that my computer meets or exceeds the 'recommended' specs. I actually upgraded my vid card JUST because I believed it would fix my problems with this game. I was very wrong.

I am disappointed in RO, guys. I wanted so badly for it to be good, and I have given a tremendous amount of effort, patience, and even money attempting to make it so... but for me, it's not. It alternates between frustrating and impossible.

If anyone can help, I'd sure love it. Otherwise, I'll just cut my losses at $25 and bid Steam and Tripwire adios. BTW, I would have been quite happy to pay more $ for a title that actually worked.

Processor Information:
Vendor: AuthenticAMD
Speed: 2172 Mhz
1 logical processor
1 physical processor
HyperThreading: Unsupported
RDTSC: Supported
CMOV: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE: Supported
SSE2: Unsupported
3DNOW: Supported

Video Card:
Driver: RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary
DirectX Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.10.6444
DirectX Driver Version: 6.14.10.6444
Driver Date: 22 Apr 2004
Desktop Color Depth Not Detected
Monitor Refresh Rate Not Detected
DirectX Card: RADEON 9600 SERIES
VendorID: 0x1002
DeviceID: 0x4152
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1024 x 768
Desktop Resolution: 1024 x 768
Primary Display Size: 12.99" x 9.84" (16.30" diag)
33.0cm x 25.0cm (41.4cm diag)
Primary Display Type Not Detected
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary AGP GART Not Detected
Primary VRAM: 256 MB
Primary Monitor Vendor Not Detected
Primary Monitor Model Not Detected
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 6x
Memory:
RAM: 511 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 190787 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 19927 Mb

Last edited:
Have you tried messing about with the netspeed option? A friend of mine boosted his fps quite significantly because he'd originally set it too low. Plus this might fix lag / tank turret missing issues.

As to the reboot, have you tried monitoring your hardware temperature? And what sort of ventillation does your case have?

Loading times though, what speed is your RAM and hard disc? What size paging file have you got?

Alternatively, have you tried a fresh install of windows on a spare disc to check that it's not just your installation of windows which is screwed up?

Upvote 0
You mean the video card drivers? ATI doesn't update drivers like that. They use their 'catalyst control center' system, which supposedly installs all the latest drivers. I just installed a new vid card a few weeks ago, and I have installed the latest Catalyst, which is all ATI will provide.

My HDD has been defragged recently. My computer runs fine with every other game I play, which includes CIV4 with all the highest graphics settings, with no problem.

The reboot is not due to overheating. Only RO causes it, and it only happens when I first start the game.

I have 512 MB of RAM. If there's some special kind of RAM you need for RO to run correctly, maybe that should be mentioned in the spec requirements. My page file is 767 MB. Do I need a grotesquely large pagefile to run RO? My HDD has plenty of free space, and I believe it runs at 7200 RPM. If I need a top-tier HDD to play RO, I wish that, too, had been mentioned in the specs.

How do I tweak netspeed? Are you talking about what connection speed you report in the Steam control panel? I have ADSL running at about 600 kb/s. I would think that is fast enough. When I monitor my network connection while RO runs, it barely cracks 10% of available bandwidth.

One of the most frustrating aspects of these problems is that I manage to solve one, only to have 2 more appear in its place.

Upvote 0
Try downloading the new drivers and installing. And I'd fully install your old drivers (they might be corrupting new drivers if you do have them installed over top of old ones). The best thing to do with drivers is to do a full uninstall of the old. Use a program like Nasty File Remover to make sure they are gone. Then install the new drivers.

Upvote 0
If using old ATI drivers do this now and report back (if possible else take credit card and buy new computer and report back):

Download this:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html
Install & do NOTHING with it, yet

THEN go HERE, as Yoshiro said:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

and click on the Link containing the name of your Operating System - Download the drivers for it, might also need the .NET 2.0 Frameworkwhatever crap so download EVERYTHING thats in there
Remember where you downloaded it to !!! *cough*

THEN

Control Panel - Software - uninstall ATI drivers and CCC

Reboot

When Hardware Moron from Windows asks if you want to install drivers for VGA display adapter upon reboot, tell it to go fu.. uhm, to "get lost" ie CANCEL

Run Driver Cleaner, check ATI (display drivers) and START

When Driver Cleanes is done, close it

Remember where you downloaded the Drivers and NET crap from the ATI site? Great, install NET stuff and drivers

REBOOT

You should be done now, report back

If you do not report back by 2200 tonight, we will collectively file a lawsuit against whichever bug is holding the patch back, because we're getting grouchy here. Also Beer is in short supply right now....

Thx

Upvote 0
lATENT_c said:
I have 512 MB of RAM. If there's some special kind of RAM you need for RO to run correctly, maybe that should be mentioned in the spec requirements. My page file is 767 MB. Do I need a grotesquely large pagefile to run RO? My HDD has plenty of free space, and I believe it runs at 7200 RPM. If I need a top-tier HDD to play RO, I wish that, too, had been mentioned in the specs.
Have a go at knocking the paging file size up, because RO does use a lot of RAM. The specs say that 512 is "minimum", so you can't complain too much about slow loading times, because you'll stuggle to boost them that much with only half a gig of RAM.

Netspeed wise, UT2004 tweak guide explains it quite nicely, and applies to RO as well. From my own experience, setting it too high can cause parts of vehicles to vanish and I've heard it can also cause lag problems. On the other hand, set it too low and your framerate will suffer.

Upvote 0
So what if I have lag problems and low framerate?

I did the whole deal with the ATI cleaning/ reinstalling after I contacted ATI support about new drivers. They pointed me at a 'special' file that did update my drivers, finally.

I do see some increase in my framerate, although it's still way too choppy for the settings I'm using. I will wait for the patch and hope it helps more.

Thanks for the advice, all.

Upvote 0
You might try letting Windows control the size of your page file, too. It seems a little small, imo.

512K Ram is bare minimum. If you plan on using this computer for another year, you should at least get 1GB. 512k is sooo 2002. As the program loads in and out of the swap file (because of the little amount of memory available to it), you will naturally see some performance issues.

Don't get confused and think low fps and poor net performance are soley graphics card and network speed related. More than likely your memory is the bottleneck. Heck, I know it is.

*Edit* Oh, and be sure to use the new Steam defrag option for your game cache files.

Floyd

Upvote 0