• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cool Nagant Video

Well, I am still a bit torn. I wanted the carbine version for purely asthetic reasons, but it will probably come down to what I find at the gun show.

The other issue with the M38 is the recoil. If I do get one, and I find my shoulder aching, I could always add a butt pad.

I'm still unsure.

Upvote 0
I say go for the M38. You won't notice the difference in accuracy/range between it and the 91/30, unless you decide to do some really long-range shooting with it.

The M38 is handier & more practical. I personally think the M44 is cooler (you can also find them a lot cheaper) with its retractable bayonet, but to each his own. My advice is to definitely shop around-- if you happened to have a Curio & Relic license, you could buy one directly from a distributor (assuming you're in the US) for $50 or less. If you buy one from a dealer, don't spend a whole lot more than that, unless it's a really nice one.

My first C&R purchase was an unissued (factory refinished) 1948-dated M44 that was still in the wax-paper "mummy wrap". Paid $75 for it :)

Upvote 0
Well, I will buy it at the gun show in town. I don't have any sort of license, so this is kind of a necessity.

One of the big reasons I would get the M38 is because it is a handier weapon, easier to carry to the range and through the brush. I might get the M44, although I would prefer the M38 because the bayonet is not much of an issue for me.

It really depends on what I can find and for how much. What should be my upper spenging limit at a gun show for all three?

MN91/30
M38
M44?

Upvote 0
$100 is about the max you should pay for an M91/30 unless its a hex receiver.

$110 is the max you should pay for an M38. These are the least common of the three as they are a war time only variation. They started making them around the start of the Winter War, and ended production at the end of WWII.

$90 is about the max you should pay for an M44 unless it's a 1943 or a Tula M44.

My advice is get a carbine. Be it an M38 or M44. The bayonet adds some weight to a M44 so you will feel less recoil. You'll also be hooked after the first fireball from either carbine.:cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I went with a 91/30 because I'm cheap. It doesn't seem TOO unwieldy, though a carbine is unarguably more handy.

Recoil difference? Meh. I shot an M44 and didn't find the recoil to be that bad... though the first center-fire long-gun I shot was a break action 16 gauge... when I was 11 (and continued with shotguns for deer hunting for quite a long time afterwords)...

Find your shoulder hurting from a rifle? Get a large bore, light shotgun (12 gauge single shot break action) and you'll know what recoil really is.

Oh, and did anybody get that video to actually work?? It's trying to play as Quicktime on my machine, but it's not working at all.

Upvote 0
[CoFR]BooBoo said:
Played just fine for me. Good basic primer on how the rifle works. GREAT job of drawing and animating.

Bully for you. It freezes Firefox and doesn't work at all in IE (bleah, IE sucks.) What program is it running in for you? My computer tries opening it in Quicktime, and it works fine as a Quicktime video on my wife's Mac (gee, surprise surprise, the Mac doesn't freeze.)

If it's Quicktime, then what codec is it? I just went to the QT site and downloaded all of them I could find, but it still freezes me (Have to go to Task Manager and force-quit Firefox.)

Upvote 0
foxracer693 said:
Id get an 91/30 instead. Its got a longer barrel, hence better accuracy/longer range shooting. Same action also.
I use my 38 for hunting more than i use my 30 cause its easier on my bad shoulder...lol
but if i had a choice id still use my 38 cuz its just so much easier to lug around and i dont really need a longer barrel. this isnt a paintball gun or a bb gun where if it has a shorter barrel it will show an obvious change in accuracy...there is a diff there, yes...but very small for the distance that im at when hunting.

{YBBS}Sage said:
Bully for you. It freezes Firefox and doesn't work at all in IE (bleah, IE sucks.) What program is it running in for you? My computer tries opening it in Quicktime, and it works fine as a Quicktime video on my wife's Mac (gee, surprise surprise, the Mac doesn't freeze.)

If it's Quicktime, then what codec is it? I just went to the QT site and downloaded all of them I could find, but it still freezes me (Have to go to Task Manager and force-quit Firefox.)
Im usen FF...and it worked fine.

Upvote 0
shadowmoses said:
but if i had a choice id still use my 38 cuz its just so much easier to lug around and i dont really need a longer barrel. this isnt a paintball gun or a bb gun where if it has a shorter barrel it will show an obvious change in accuracy...there is a diff there, yes...but very small for the distance that im at when hunting.

Misconception on the paintball gun part. My favorite barrel has long been in the 8-inch length area... I once used a friends Palmer-ized PGP (only about a 4 inch barrel), and it was one of the most accurate set-ups I've used on the field.

But, yeah, anything under about 200 yards, if your rifle can't hit it, something's really wrong.

Upvote 0