• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ridiculously simple yet effective TK deterrent.

IconoclastDX

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2006
The system would work on this wise.

-First ~2 TKs to a single player: standard action.
-Any further TKs to the same player would cause the killer to be killed and the other player to receive no damage.
-After (server set)# of TKs the Killer would be kicked like normal.

Thats it. Simple huh. How fun is it to shot at someone only to die? Plus, this in no wise decreases the realism/immersion factor to anyone not trying to be a douchebag. No warnings. No voting. No messages. Even if you accidentally kill the same player two times in one round then I think it would be a good wake up call it get fraged when you TK 'em the third time.

One could do this with a mutator under 30 lines. ScoreKill or TakeDamage seems to me would work fine.

Edit:
There are basically 3 types of tkers, and a reverse damage TK deterrent works great with all of them.

1) The accidental TK: A reverse damage TK deterrent will not negatively affect accidental tkers because the chances that someone will TK the same player 3-4 times before reaching the tk limit is so improbably high that it's ridiculous. Assuming a moderately full server (26 players), thats 26^3 or 26^4 (~17000-450000/1). No accidental TKer will even notice that a reverse damage TK deterrent is running.

2) The casual TK (lol TK):A casual TKer usually TKs someone on purpose but not in malice, and then gets back to the game. A TKer in this state of mind (jovial) will probably find it even more hillarious that he dies trying to TK his friend and just get back to the game.

3) The jackass TKer: Habitual/vengful/stalking TKing would be utterly squashed by this TK deterrent (assuming no hacking). No one is going to stay around to ruin people's day if he only dies everytime he tries to TK. Plus there is no annoying VK to mess with.

I really dont see a down side to it. It simply cant be said that it would detract from realism/immersion. Especially considering the alternatives.

Last edited:
The only thing lacking is the possibility to forgive accidental TKs. Other than that, the TK system we have is fine.

With being able to forgive accidental TKs, the servers could set the kick/ban limit lower, and thus getting rid of intentional TKers sooner.

There is already a mutator wich does this, but it's not that widely spread, and it could be the cause of some server instability... so a "built in" forgiving option would be quite welcome.

Upvote 0
There was a player who knocked up a -85 score, by repeatedly 'nading his own spawn. This guy didn't care and was killing himself in the process most of the time. Most players don't know where the "Vote Kick" is and just moved on to a different server. I think we managed to get about 6 votes against him, but then the voters moved on and he wasn't kicked. How many votes do you need? Is it a server setting?

Upvote 0
What about a system where when someone is team killed then a little vote-thingy pops up on their screen, it could ask them something like:

"Would you like to file a complaint against (so-and-so) for team-killing?"

You can use your "vote yes" and "vote no" keys for this question.

If they apolojize for team-killing or you know it was an accident then you can say "no" and it wont hurt the accidental team-killer.

But if you know they did it on purpose or they dont apolojize when you ask them to you can vote "yes", when they get anough complaints they get kicked from the server for some length of time.

This would allow some friendly fire to continue like it did in real life but also allow protection against team-killers who want to ruin the game.

What do you think about that solution to the problem? Will it work? What is wrong with it or needs to be changed? Why might it work or not work?

Upvote 0
Isaak Johnson said:
What about a system where when someone is team killed then a little vote-thingy pops up on their screen, it could ask them something like:

"Would you like to file a complaint against (so-and-so) for team-killing?"

You can use your "vote yes" and "vote no" keys for this question.

If they apolojize for team-killing or you know it was an accident then you can say "no" and it wont hurt the accidental team-killer.

But if you know they did it on purpose or they dont apolojize when you ask them to you can vote "yes", when they get anough complaints they get kicked from the server for some length of time.

This would allow some friendly fire to continue like it did in real life but also allow protection against team-killers who want to ruin the game.

What do you think about that solution to the problem? Will it work? What is wrong with it or needs to be changed? Why might it work or not work?

Thats how the Teamkill mutator works. You still get points reduced when you tk someone, but if the victim simply types "np" in chat, it woun't count towards the TKs you need to get kicked.

Upvote 0
Recce said:
There was a player who knocked up a -85 score, by repeatedly 'nading his own spawn. This guy didn't care and was killing himself in the process most of the time. Most players don't know where the "Vote Kick" is and just moved on to a different server. I think we managed to get about 6 votes against him, but then the voters moved on and he wasn't kicked. How many votes do you need? Is it a server setting?

Don't join a server that lets people TK that many times :p

Upvote 0
IconoclastDX said:
The system would work on this wise.

-First ~2 TKs to a single player: standard action.
-Any further TKs to the same player would cause the killer to be killed and the other player to receive no damage.
-After (server set)# of TKs the Killer would be kicked like normal.

Thats it. Simple huh. How fun is it to shot at someone only to die? Plus, this in no wise decreases the realism/immersion factor to anyone not trying to be a douchebag. No warnings. No voting. No messages. Even if you accidentally kill the same player two times in one round then I think it would be a good wake up call it get fraged when you TK 'em the third time.

One could do this with a mutator under 30 lines. ScoreKill or TakeDamage seems to me would work fine.
Okay Fist off you need to realise that the main issue lays not in the TK factor...But that there are people who TK and people who commit FF...
Firendly Fire is a VERY real part of war...TKing is not...Its hard to prevent this from happening because FF SHOULD be allowed but not abused.
I agree with you that there should be a limitation of FF kills...something like 2-5. Then after that set Number has been reached the player who has commited these Team killings might be either automaticly removed...or some other sort of punishment...Im partly against the idea of removal because it also tends to remove the players who really dont know what they are doing...
But anyway thats my imput.

**And here is a post i made that somewhat relates to this thread...It addresses weather or not we actually need to see who TK/FF'd.
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8518

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Simply removing chronic TKers doesn't work. If they are enough of an asshat to continually TK, they will just re-enter the server and pick up where they left off.

A real solution would be to instantly perma-ban anyone who racks up more TKs than enemy kills (or gets 5 TKs in a row, or something similar) . The important thing is, a kick is not a severe enough punishment for someone who is really trying hard to mess up everyone's game.

Upvote 0
lATENT_c said:
Simply removing chronic TKers doesn't work. If they are enough of an asshat to continually TK, they will just re-enter the server and pick up where they left off.

A real solution would be to instantly perma-ban anyone who racks up more TKs than enemy kills (or gets 5 TKs in a row, or something similar) . The important thing is, a kick is not a severe enough punishment for someone who is really trying hard to mess up everyone's game.
I dont honestly believe that the majority of people who TK are doing it on purpos...and the ones who do, get their kicks and leave...i dont think they would goto all the trouble of leaving and rejoining the server...Or atleast not very many of them at all.

Upvote 0
Kicking is not enough of a deterrent. If someone is trying to be annoying they will just re-enter the server. Kicks last 0 minutes, right?

I'm not talking about the casual TKer, who just does it for a laugh- to the annoyance of other players. I mean someone with no respect for the game who intends to get his $25 worth of fun by ruining everyone else's.

A kick is fine as a warning-shot/ wake-up call, whatever - for a player who is just a newb or is being careless. But an intentional, chronic TKer is not going to be stopped by a simple kick, or even repeated ones.

When there is no admin around (which is practically always, lately) there needs to be a ban or lengthy kick to smite these people swiftly and automatically.

Someone back me up on this...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lATENT_c said:
Kicking is not enough of a deterrent. If someone is trying to be annoying they will just re-enter the server. Kicks last 0 minutes, right?

I'm not talking about the casual TKer, who just does it for a laugh- to the annoyance of other players. I mean someone with no respect for the game who intends to get his $25 worth of fun by ruining everyone else's.

A kick is fine as a warning-shot/ wake-up call, whatever - for a player who is just a newb or is being careless. But an intentional, chronic TKer is not going to be stopped by a simple kick, or even repeated ones.

When there is no admin around (which is practically always, lately) there needs to be a ban or lengthy kick to smite these people swiftly and automatically.

Someone back me up on this...

I suppose it would be possible to initate a vote BAN (temporary one, maybe 1 hour:)

Upvote 0
[-project.TwentY3-] said:
Do you guys actually want the CS solution?

After the Tk: 1.Freeze 2.Gimp 3.Glow? Wtf, tks do happen do all players it is fine apart from a built in forgive system

Heh. I think that Freezing and turning a player into a Beacon (DOD:S) would really add a new level of realism:rolleyes:. That's not even a built-in solution in CS, it's part of an Admin Plugin.

IMHO a good way to handle it would be to add an option (either built in or mutator) to automatically ban someone who is kicked xxx times within xx:xx time limit. This would give some leeway to anyone who accidentally blows up his entire team with a satchel and sheepishly rejoins, while at the same time would help to keep away the folks who intentionally tk, get kicked, rejoin and tk some more.

Upvote 0
I think you guys are making this more complicated then it has to be. We dont need to worry about accidental tks, a forgive system, minimum ban time or any of that nonsense. There are basically 3 types of tkers, and a reverse damage TK deterrent will work great with all of them.

1) The accidental TK: A reverse damage TK deterrent will not negatively effect accidental tkers becasue the chances that someone will TK the same player 3-4 times before reaching the tk limit is so improbably high that its ridiculous. Assuming a moderately full server 26 players, thats 26^3 or 26^4 (~17000-450000/1). No accidental TKer will even notice that a reverse damage TK deterrent is running.

2) The casual TK (lol TK):A casual TKer usually TKs someone on purpose but not in malice, and then gets back to the game. A TKer in this state of mind (jovial) will probably find it even more hillarious that he dies trying to TK his friend and just get back to the game.

3) The jackass TKer: Habitual/vengful/stalking TKing would be utterly squashed by this TK deterrent (assuming no hacking). No one is going to stay around to ruin people's day if he only dies everytime he tries to TK. Plus there is no annoying VK to mess with.

I really dont see a down side to it. It simply cant be said that it would detract from realism/immersion. Especially considering the alternatives.

Upvote 0