• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Favorite and least favorite official maps?

Favorite

Rakowice:
I just love that map, it looks great and as Russian there are so many things to do. Besides, on public servers "The Bunker" and the "Flak" are rarely guarded so it's not much of a problem capturing them.

Ogledow:
Very intense fights for the objectives, especially the farm. I hope there will be a Russian AT grenade included someday. I feel bad raping German tanks with magically appearing Panzerf

Upvote 0
Favourite: Konigsplatz, late war combined arms rocks, baised towards the ruskies but that just makes it more of a challenge. Wish the final cap point was on the Reichstag steps tho.

Least Favourite: I despise Kaukauses, as no feeling to it, looks crap, plays crap and is always a russian victory unless you have a great german team (but how often does that happen).

Upvote 0
Favorites: I dunno, they're all pretty good, except these:

Least Favorites:
Konigsplatz: Could this map be any more russian biased? Sure, there's the time limit, and the Germans ususally win, but playing a map with less reinforcements, no artillery, and 1 crappy 1942 tank vs 2 1944 tanks gets pretty old after a while. And winning because the russians "run out of time" feels cheap after it happens 700 times in a row.
Arad: The most buggy and overplayed map. Ogledow is SO much better if you want a "pure" tank map.
Rackowitz: Actually, I like this map, but it seems extremely biased towards the Germans. I've never seen the russians take it, and that includes times when I'm the only player on the german side with a positive score.

Upvote 0
Basovka is the greatest map ever seen in any iteration of Red Orchestra

I know that is a bold statement but IMHO it is true. When you have two full teams of quality players battling it out with artillery raining everywhere it is the greatest depcition of war seen in an online game to date. It's also a map where you can really manover.

The only people who don't like this map are those who can't shoot straight and use a bayonet, or are unwilling to work as a team.

The only time I haven't enjoyed playing this map is when I'm on the Germans and my team refuses to advance.

Upvote 0
Reddog said:

I know that is a bold statement but IMHO it is true. When you have two full teams of quality players battling it out with artillery raining everywhere it is the greatest depcition of war seen in an online game to date. It's also a map where you can really manover.

The only people who don't like this map are those who can't shoot straight and use a bayonet, or are unwilling to work as a team.

The only time I haven't enjoyed playing this map is when I'm on the Germans and my team refuses to advance.

Word, brotha!! :cool:

Equally frustrating, though, is playing as Soviet and having illiterate idiot as NCO (who refuses or does not know to use artillery and won't leave class).

O.

Upvote 0
Reddog said:

Woo hoo for Basovka. It CAN be bad if there are noobs who don't defend from inside the capture zone (one person in the tower, MAX!) or if there are noobs who don't attack the capture zone (get in the effing trench!)

Basovka is by far my favorite

Other favorites: all 100% infantry maps. I love the infantry maps. Don't get me wrong, tanks can be fun, but... There's just something about sticking a bayonet in people that appeals to my worse half.

Dislike: Konigsplatz. Why do the Germans never get wise and stall for time? Overall, not a fan of the "feel" of this one, either.

Hate: Arad. Horrible.

@ Oleg: You always take the EASY side on Hedgehog? Any other maps?

I guess that explains why 80% of the time, I play Soviet on Hedgehog (through auto-select.) Try the "hard" side sometimes, eh?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nah you need people defending outside of the cap zone sage, especially initially when the map starts. If not then your flanks are wide open. A good defensive posture on Basovka is to rain artillery in the center forcing the Germans out wide, and concentrated riflemen on the flanks to pick the Germans off as they try to get around. Also in the main line have your MG, Avto's, officer and a couple of rifles, just enough to chew up the Germans who make it through the artillery.

Upvote 0