• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Black Sea Amphibious Assault Map

Nestor Makhno

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006
Penryn, Cornwall
Just wanted to start a thread about a possibility I am considering for my next map (after Makhnovo is realeased in early July).

There were landings from Summer to Winter 1941.

I have my eye on the landings at Grigoryevka, near Odessa, on 22nd September 1941. There's a map here.

This would mean modelling skins for the Rumanians, whose 4th army were defending on that day, so a fairly major project, I would have thought - especially as I have no idea how to do that (yet). The Russians were the 3rd Naval Infantry Regiment so the RKKF uniforms should take care of that.

So far all I have about the operation from the Rumanian perspective is this:

"However, Stavka had prepared a surprised to the Romanian 4th Army. During the night of 21/22 September, at 0045 hours, after a 30 minutes artillery preparation from several warships, about 2,000 men of the 3rd Marine Brigade (I thought 'Polk' meant regiment!!) landed at Grigorievka and Chebanka and advanced on the alignment Staraya Dofinivka – Buldinka, behind the positions of the 15th Infantry Division. Another landing was attempted to the east, but failed. The Romanian 13th Infantry Division held a 10 km front only with 4 battalions. The Soviet maneuver diverted further troops. Thus, at 0640 hours, the 157th Rifle Division launched and attack against the 13th Infantry Division, along the Odessa - Bierezovka railroad, with an infantry regiment. The attack surprised the 22nd Infantry Regiment. One of its battalions lost the CO and panicked. Despite several attempts to resist, they retreated to the southern outskirts of Kubanka village, bringing about the collapse of the entire disposition of the 5th Corps, which was forced also to withdraw the 15th Infantry Division in the northeastern area of the Chornaya Valley. The Soviet advanced was stopped with the help of the corps' reserves (2 battalions) and of motorized units rushed in the sector. The Stukas of the newly arrived III./StG 77 attacked the fleet, sinking the destroyer Frunze, a gunboat and a tug and damaging the destroyers Bezuprechnyy and Besposhachadnyy. GAL (Rumanian Air Group) also intervened, flying 71 sorties and dropping 32 tons of bombs on the Soviet forces. One transport ship reportedly was damaged by the He-111Hs of the 5th Bomber Group. The 13th Infantry Division lost 1,300 men, Gildendorf and had to pull back 6 km. The 5th Corps could no longer use its heavy artillery to bombard the Odessa harbor area. The counterattack was supported also by an incursion of the Romanian destroyers southeast of Odessa, from where they bombarded the Grigorievka bridgehead and retreated without loss, before the very much-surprised Soviet coastal artillery could retaliate."

This is from
http://www.worldwar2.ro/operatii/?article=7 which has some nice, but rather small piccies of Rumanian troops and tanks in action

Any material that people are aware of that might help - please post it here.

Last edited:
How about doing the Soviet invasion of the Krimea around the town of Feodosiya. In december of 1941 the Soviets attacked the towns of Kerch and Feodosiya in the Krimea, this was along with the Moscow counter-offensive as well. The whole objective of the invasion of the Krimea via these 2 towns was to liberate the Krimea.

However, the Soviets only managed to capture Feodosiya and Kerch, and soon after the Germans and Romanians mounted a counter-attack and threw out these forces.

I would suggest doing a map on one of these, Feodosiya preferbly. The Soviets had support from destroyers, cruisers and battleships off-shore shelling the German possitions. The Germans fired back with emplaced guns, sinking a destroyer.

This would be a great map, imho. A beach attack, Soviets attacking, Germans defending, however since the Krimea was only recently captured there wouldn't be many permanent earth works if any. Mostly trenches, and sand bags, this would make it a diffuclt objective to defend and attack of course.

How about it?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I like the concept, except for one small detail:

Non-urban winter maps generally suck, bite and chew goat. If you don't believe me, look again at Barashka. The snow just makes for totally boring, lifeless landscapes.

If it turns out that there was no snow cover on that day (or, I'm guessing, more likely night) then I will look at the kind of vegetation extant in that region and see if there are enough static meshes in the TW maps to make a fairly realistic approximation of Crimea in winter.

I must say though, that I prefer summer maps - my memories of -35 degrees in January are still fresh enough that I don't really want to go there, even virtually :)

Upvote 0
There is a custom map in the mod that one team starts on a beach & then has to work their way up into the town taking some buildings & a garage.

Not user of its name but the mapper has mad it so that the start spawn was on some pontoons comming to the beach area.

I like the idea of a beach landing map as that is something away from the normal town, fields style of map that most are catagorised into.

Would just have to ensure that there is enough cover for the beach team to get up with out being raped by MG fire at the start.

The odd blast hole in the sand from the warship gunfire & sand bags piled up

possibly have some landing craft scattered along the shore line

Upvote 0
No landing craft!!!

What little I've seen of photos of Sov amphibious landings is a gradual trickle of men landing at a jetty and strolling ashore.

As it's looking increasingly like a night operation this should not require too much of a leap of imagination to make a boat the first allied spawn. The night should be fairly bright (it's September after all) but not so bright that rifles don't make way cool muzzle flashes.

What I'm more concerned about in this whole project is the Rumanian equipment - unless they used some stuff which is analogous to German equipment, some major modelling will be required. Which seems a bit excessive for one map.

From what I've seen so far, their equipment can be VERY different from the heer stuff. Although, having said that they use a rifle which is, as near as dammit, a KAR http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=279 and it seems they used the MP40 http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=768

I would like to look at modelling the ZB LMG that they used - looks very similar to the Bren - prolly came from Czechoslovakia somewhere along the line (like the Japanese one) http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=283

As for the tanks....well there's a problem. They seemed to use Czech knock-offs - the R2 being a Skoda 35 with a fresh lick of paint. http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=236
I do like the fact that they got pwned by PTRD's though - that makes me very happy! :p

It seems they did eventually get some cast-offs from their German allies but not until 1942.

Upvote 0
*7GA* Nestor Makhno said:
Yeah, I like the concept, except for one small detail:

Non-urban winter maps generally suck, bite and chew goat. If you don't believe me, look again at Barashka. The snow just makes for totally boring, lifeless landscapes.

If it turns out that there was no snow cover on that day (or, I'm guessing, more likely night) then I will look at the kind of vegetation extant in that region and see if there are enough static meshes in the TW maps to make a fairly realistic approximation of Crimea in winter.

I must say though, that I prefer summer maps - my memories of -35 degrees in January are still fresh enough that I don't really want to go there, even virtually :)

I believe during that time the Crimea or parts of it were without snow, or very light snow. Meaning it was only a few cm deep, so parts were bare of snow others had some snow.

As far is it beinb bare, far from it. The Crimea was and still is a great vacation spot, beach houses, villages all long the coast and decent size towns like Kerch and Feodosiya.

The terrain is very rocky as well, inland. So you have planty of cover, the beach is another story. I would love at least one map with a Crimean battle. We don't have a single one yet, early war or late.

Upvote 0
I understand what you are saying about Crimea. For me, though, I think that a late summer representation of the Crimea (albeit at night) would be preferable.

Especially if the records show that Sep 22nd 1941 was a moonlit night - that would r00l!!!

How about sometime in December, had to been a moonlit night then too.
In either case, you can do early dawn as well for the beach assault or the assault or counter-attack on Feodosiya.

What I would love to see is the German counter-attack on Feodosyia to recapture it and push the Russians in to the sea. The Crimea has a unique landscape to it, sort of rocky/desert look.

I wish I had time to learn how to create maps for RO. I'd love to make a Crimea type map. Plus the layout of villages in the Crimea was different as well back then.

One thing though, if someone does do a Crimea type map, please make it early war.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro said:
Cash rewards only go to those with working landing craft (or at least on "rails" for the first offload)
There weren't any, you clown!

The closest you'll get is one of my favourite "opportunities"... the Soviet landings in Dec '41 on the Kerch peninsula and at Feodosia. It was done at night, snowing, with the wind picking up to gale force.

At Feodosia, the Soviets put Rifle and Naval infantry ashore, first from a mine-sweeper, then from the boats from 2 cruisers. The captain of one cruiser got pissed at the time it was taking, so simply steamed the cruiser into the harbour and alongside the jetty, under the German guns.

At the far end of the Kerch peninsula, the Soviets had a bunch of paras drop to take key positions prior to the beach landings. In the dark. While it was snowing. In gale-force winds. On to the top of cliffs. The lead bomber pilot couldn't find the target, so told the para commander he was turning back. The para commander pulled his pistol and told the bomber pilot to "find a target" so his men could jump. Bunch of loonies!

Upvote 0
No landing craft!!!

What little I've seen of photos of Sov amphibious landings is a gradual trickle of men landing at a jetty and strolling ashore.

As it's looking increasingly like a night operation this should not require too much of a leap of imagination to make a boat the first allied spawn. The night should be fairly bright (it's September after all) but not so bright that rifles don't make way cool muzzle flashes.

What I'm more concerned about in this whole project is the Rumanian equipment - unless they used some stuff which is analogous to German equipment, some major modelling will be required. Which seems a bit excessive for one map.

From what I've seen so far, their equipment can be VERY different from the heer stuff. Although, having said that they use a rifle which is, as near as dammit, a KAR http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=279 and it seems they used the MP40 http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=768

I would like to look at modelling the ZB LMG that they used - looks very similar to the Bren - prolly came from Czechoslovakia somewhere along the line (like the Japanese one) http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=283

As for the tanks....well there's a problem. They seemed to use Czech knock-offs - the R2 being a Skoda 35 with a fresh lick of paint. http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=236
I do like the fact that they got pwned by PTRD's though - that makes me very happy! :p

It seems they did eventually get some cast-offs from their German allies but not until 1942.

I found another episode of amphibious landings but this time in Feb. 1943 near Novorosiysk and the paragraph mentions landing crafts and M3 Stuarts.

"A notable episode was the one of the 5th Company/38th Infantry Regiment from the 10th Infantry Division, commanded by cpt. Nicolae Dabija, which faced a strong landing at Ossereyka. Early in the morning of 4 February, Soviet marines and tanks came to shore under fire from mortars and an 88 mm AA section, which caused serious casualties and knocked out several M3 Stuart tanks. Three landing craft were sunk and apparently the heavy fire prevented further reinforcements of the forces that made it and had managed to create a bridgehead. The decision was taken to cancel the operation and the 563rd Independent Tank Battalion, the 142nd Sailor Battalion and two battalions from the 255th Naval Brigade were left behind. Out of roughly 1,500 men, only around 800 and 8 tanks were still remaining. They had taken advantage of the gaps in the Axis line and had outflanked the Romanian troops. Soviet sources claim 500 KIAs and WIAs and roughly 100 POWs taken, obviously more than what the 5th Company had on the beach. The German command rushed in reinforcements and the bridgehead, with the participation of the cpt. Dabija's men. He was awarded the Mihai Viteazul Order 3rd class and the German Cross in Gold."

http://www.worldwar2.ro/operatii/?article=13

http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=484&hl=

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Given that you prolly weren't there at the time Wilsonam, it would be nice to know where this materal comes from. :D References please?

BTW trip to Volgograd, on for August 7th - get ur wish list ready.

I can give you one source I have, "In Deadly Combat, by Gotlob Bidderman". Its a book written by a German Infantryman, who was present at the Crimea during the whole operation of taking the Crimea and then defending it during December. I believe his unit was stationed around Feodosiya at the time.

I think this scenario needs to be made into a RO map.

Upvote 0